• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcridMeat

Banned
if i had to do a cutoff point, it would be if you were in your early teens when FFXIII hit. That means you've known nothing but terrible final fantasy games your whole life.

But if youre in your late 20s and 30s then zero excuses, you were there during the golden age of FF games
Zero excuses, apart from being a kid in that era who doesn't necessarily know any better or get every game they're interested in. This reductive reasoning is why I get turned off by games (and shows/movies) quickly.

I didn't grow up playing those games but I feel totally fine missing out, there's plenty of entertainment I haven't consumed that's fantastic and loved by many.
Well, I still feel it got abit more free pass since it's SW. That's how I feel anyways or lets say it's recommended easily for players which I get because it's hectic arcad-y fun. I'd definitely recommend R6 if you can find it cheaper and I feel playing the game with one or two friends at the very least enhances the experience significantly.
Could you imagine if Battlefront was a military themed shooter? It would have been torn to pieces haha.
Not fond of this exaggerated screen shake in the Nuclear Throne Quick Look.
I like the game a lot but that's super jarring yeah. I can't really play it for long sessions, though it's a little better when you just focus on the character or enemy shots.
goty

StDnnD5.gif
Oh yes!

edit: Catching up on that K-Pop thread. There's some chuckles to be had.

Zero excuses, apart from being a kid in that era who doesn't necessarily know any better or get every game they're interested in. This reductive reasoning is why I get turned off by games (and shows/movies) quickly.

i said zero excuses. you should be ashamed of your excuses, that's too many. And if zero excuses turns you off to things then you've got zero excuses.

that's how zero excuses work.

and who is this kid that gets every game they're interested in lol? I was stuck with shit as much as the rest, like that capcom mickey mouse game on snes instead of Doom 2 on the PC for example. I just happened to grow up around other nerds who also played and did nerd stuff so we would trade carts and rent things.

Could you imagine if Battlefront was a military themed shooter? It would have been torn to pieces haha.

I feel like Battlefront would be appreciated more if it was like Battlefield in a sense. Going through the OT just now all I'm seeing is people complaining about major balancing issues. I have the game but still didn't try it out, nevertheless, hopefully they patch it out(which I'm sure they will).

Toparaman

Banned
Nah, there's this weird thing going on this year in particular.

Evolve, BattleFront, RB6 Seige: All super thin, overwhelmingly mediocre, multiplayer-only FPS, all for $60, all nestled in the 70s on Metacritic, and all with ridiculous fanbases that will brook no dissent about how awesome these cardboard-standees of games are.

It's hard not to get kinda weary of it.

$60 for a game can mean totally different things to different people. Are you really going to tell someone who's enjoying the hell out of Battlefront that they got a bad value for their money?

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say

ubisoft is still the king of weird ass bugs

Even in the realm of older r6 games, there was a notorious grenade bug (known as an "ubinade") in multiplayer. Throw a grenade through a window or door, sometimes it'll act like it's still in your hand and you explode. Or just throw a grenade normally, sometimes it'll go in a direction 45degrees to where you expect it to go. Sometimes it won't go anywhere, nothing blows up, and you can no longer throw grenades or select a weapon, rendering you useless for the rest of the round.

AcridMeat

Banned
i said zero excuses. you should be ashamed of your excuses, that's too many. And if zero excuses turns you off to things then you've got zero excuses.

that's how zero excuses work.
Good to know that it's the exact aggressive fandom that pushes me farther away from these things.
$60 for a game can mean totally different things to different people. Are you really going to tell someone who's enjoying the hell out of Battlefront that they got a bad value for their money?
Obviously not, but on paper it's not a great value proposition in general. If it fits your gaming habits and interests then it'll be worth it.

The mobile player is so terrible on Android, I'm never sure if my stream is delayed like 5 minutes.

the mobile player is rough on ios, too. I have it set on Auto since my sprint LTE is flaky even on a good day so i'd rather not have it buffer all day but it seems that every time it switches quality the audio gets out of sync. Sort of annoying.

Good to know that it's the exact aggressive fandom that pushes me farther away from these things.

well i'll tone it down, i wouldn't want you to fall out of your porch rocking chair between fits of screaming at teenagers on your lawn and anticipating which cloud will be your favorite of the day.

As someone who's in their 20's and finally played more than their fair share of Final Fantasy games fairly recently, I can tell you that you're really not missing out by not playing any of them. FF is the epitamy of average where you can find much better and much worse JRPGs out there.

Unless you really want to play a final fantasy game just to see what its like, don't play a final fantasy game.

Haunted

"gravity-bending gameplay!"

put it on the box

(Removing myself from recent FPS games + modern military shooters lacking a discernable visual identity means that I can't even tell if this is Battlefield, CoD, Rainbow Six or something else).

repeater

I know it's a silly problem, but it can be so frustrating. The live player used to be great! What happened?
Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as diminishing the extent of your hassles, just being a bit self-deprecating about my own (which are minor, but still a bit annoying).
I wish we could just have live streams (premium and otherwise) available to cast via GB Video Buddy or Luchadeer and the like to Chromecast. It's why I'm always grateful when they're streaming something through YT and (to a lesser extent) Twitch.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as diminishing the extent of your hassles, just being a bit self-deprecating about my own (which are minor, but still a bit annoying).
I wish we could just have live streams (premium and otherwise) available to cast via GB Video Buddy or Luchadeer and the like to Chromecast. It's why I'm always grateful when they're streaming something through YT and (to a lesser extent) Twitch.

Oh no, I got your meaning repeater. I didn't mean to insinuate that's what you were doing.

I agree, it would be great for GBVB or Luchadeer to have live stream support.

AcridMeat

Banned
well i'll tone it down, i wouldn't want you to fall out of your porch rocking chair between fits of screaming at teenagers on your lawn and anticipating which cloud will be your favorite of the day.
Hahahahah okay dude.
As someone who's in their 20's and finally played more than their fair share of Final Fantasy games fairly recently, I can tell you that you're really not missing out by not playing any of them. FF is the epitamy of average where you can find much better and much worse JRPGs out there.

Unless you really want to play a final fantasy game just to see what its like, don't play a final fantasy game.
I'll wait for Drew's Final Fantasy feature.

kvk1

A lot of the coverage of Siege from review outlets has been nothing but frustrating, including from the GB guys. Their judgment feels rushed, with preconceived notions from the alpha/beta somehow making their way into their criticisms of the release.

Admittedly there are some serious issues with the game, most notably server related, but there is also a large disconnect between community opinion and industry opinion of the game. For a title that hasn't even seen its first major patch yet, it already has a cult following that's akin to a lot of the original Rainbow Six crowd, or something like what SOCOM had on the Playstation.

I don't know.

repeater

Great, so now because of the taking down the stream business I missed the beginning of the episode. :/ What happened up until now? (Spoiler tags please for those who aren't watching this live)

Wait... I think someone across the road from my place is beating a car with a 2x4.

Wonder what that is about.

Edit.

Ok judging from yelling some dude got it on with dudes GF and the dude decided to smash the guys car. And now the police are talking.

FUN TIMES.

Red UFO

A lot of the coverage of Siege from review outlets has been nothing but frustrating, including from the GB guys. Their judgment feels rushed, with preconceived notions from the alpha/beta somehow making their way into their criticisms of the release.

Admittedly there are some serious issues with the game, most notably server related, but there is also a large disconnect between community opinion and industry opinion of the game. For a title that hasn't even seen its first major patch yet, it already has a cult following that's akin to a lot of the original Rainbow Six crowd, or something like what SOCOM had on the Playstation.

I don't know.
All you're saying is "people who are really into these sorts of games are into this game." Which is 100% expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom