• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

tumblr_nvtx45GEXA1rsbbt3o1_400.png

Rainmaker

Banned
That was a fun UPF. I can't seem to tire of watching Jeff and Dan play SMM and I thought I would have by now. They just enjoy it so much and I love hearing Jeff talk about his levels.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
They had to wait for Jason's new fatherhood brain chemicals to calm down in order to not influence the results. It's all very scientific.

No, they're waiting for baby Jason to grow up so that they can have fresh eyes to judge without any bias. More scientific that way.

So look forward to the next episode in 18 years.

Megasoum

Banned
Guyyyyssss. My eyes are on fiiiire lol.

Seriously tho, everything went well. Now I'm super bored since I can't watch TV or use the computer.

This gives me time to listen to the old This Year's Bombcast compilations. On 2012 right now. Man those were the golden years as far as cast goes. Ryan, Jeff, Vinny, Patrick and Brad... Fuck I miss Ryan :(

I wonder if they will finally look at Star Citizen now that 2.0 has launched as the biggest crowdfunded game of all time seems like something you'd use the unfinished feature to take a look at. Suppose they will probably continue to ignore it and be "I don't follow that game at all but man it's shady because like reasons"

Guyyyyssss. My eyes are on fiiiire lol.

Seriously tho, everything went well. Now I'm super bored since I can't watch TV or use the computer.

This gives me time to listen to the old This Year's Bombcast compilations. On 2012 right now. Man those were the golden years as far as cast goes. Ryan, Jeff, Vinny, Patrick and Brad... Fuck I miss Ryan :(

Hurray! I'm glad it went well. How long is recovery?

I miss him every day, man. I still occasionally think, for an instant, "I wonder what Ryan will thing of this game!"

Megasoum

Banned
Hurray! I'm glad it went well. How long is recovery?

I miss him every day, man. I still occasionally think, for an instant, "I wonder what Ryan will thing of this game!"

Technically it's a 3 day recovery. 24h without computer/phones/TV etc. No gym until Monday night. I'm still light sensitive but otherwise I'm mostly fine. View is blurry but that's normal for the first couple of days.

The afternoon was rough. It was burning a lot but it's a lot better now.

The surgery itself takes like 10min. Super quick and doesn't hurt at all... It's just a really fucked up experience lol.

AcridMeat

Banned
Technically it's a 3 day recovery. 24h without computer/phones/TV etc. No gym until Monday night. I'm still light sensitive but otherwise I'm mostly fine. View is blurry but that's normal for the first couple of days.

The afternoon was rough. It was burning a lot but it's a lot better now.

The surgery itself takes like 10min. Super quick and doesn't hurt at all... It's just a really fucked up experience lol.
Holy shit seriously? I gotta laser beam my eyeballs.

tuxfool

Banned
I wonder if they will finally look at Star Citizen now that 2.0 has launched as the biggest crowdfunded game of all time seems like something you'd use the unfinished feature to take a look at. Suppose they will probably continue to ignore it and be "I don't follow that game at all but man it's shady because like reasons"

Whilst it is impressive from a technical standpoint, I still don't think it is ready to be approached by the layman expecting to waltz into the game without any preparation, which is what they'll do then claim nothing works. Honestly there is plenty of time until it gets to beta.

BanGy.nz

Banned
Unless I'm not remembering right the thumbnail picture is literally
the whole machine going into his eye and blood/guts shooting out of it.
I didn't watch the video to the end and turns out yeah it shows the fucked up version as well. You're probably right about the thumbnail.

Silent Hill: Homecoming has an even better eye horror moment where if you fell a prompt a lady gouges out your eye with a drill. Probably the nastiest thing I've seen in gaming.

And I had lasik done last year, somewhat happy with it but unfortunately I still wear glasses. Went from -7.5/-6.5 to negative .75/.5 which is a massive improvement but not the 20/20 some get.

So what you're saying is The Lost Levels is your favorite Mario game and SMW is your least favorite

I don't think you remember all of the experimental, one-off shit that game has. There are elements of that game, both in visual and gameplay design, that you may only ever see once or twice. Super Mario World has levels where you:

• Construct a bridge of your own design from a stream of coins that you control to progress
  • Fall through a gigantic pit surrounded by enemies that you can defeat with a star
  • Traverse through projectiles and obstacles entirely as a balloon
  • Go to entirely different areas depending on the amount of coins you collect and time left
  • Use Boos that turn into platforms when you look at them to get to higher areas
  • Have to find a cleverly placed secret exit to proceed, otherwise you go in a circle
  • Navigate through deceptively standard-looking terrain that is actually flooded by a tide of rising and lowering water that pushes you back
  • Need to use Yoshi to eat special berries that increase the time limit, which starts off at a very low number
Not only that, but the game also takes a big risk structurally with its countless branching paths. Almost half of the game's content is hidden behind secret exits, and nobody's first playthrough of it is the same. Even the game's final level alludes to this, where you basically choose the path you want to take through it, or you can use a secret entrance to bypass the starting segment entirely. No other game in the series has such a fundamental focus on unique secret content, and I doubt we'll ever see one again.

Megasoum

Banned
I might get LASIK if my eyesight ever goes truly terrible but I dunno, I kinda like wearing glasses.

I honestly never really cared about the glasses themselves or the look. What finally tipped me over is when I started working out 5-6 times a week. Working out with glasses. FUCKING SUCKS. So now that this issue is taken cared of then all the other great benefits are gravy on top.

Whilst it is impressive from a technical standpoint, I still don't think it is ready to be approached by the layman expecting to waltz into the game without any preparation, which is what they'll do then claim nothing works. Honestly there is plenty of time until it gets to beta.
I just thought unfinished was originally brought up as something they'd use to revisit early access games through their development.

Maybe someone here can help me? I saw a post earlier that I thought I bookmarked but I guess not, it linked to some recommended GB videos. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom