• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

But isn't the whole point of Super Mario Maker to, well, make levels? I couldn't imagine getting that game to not create stuff. It'd be like being upset about how the Mario Paint fly squishing game would be boring after a week, and even then I'm sure just playing SMM offers much more fun.

It is, and SMM has an incredible level creator in it, but where SMM completely fails is building a loop around that. The gamification and community empowerment around the level creation process itself is virtually non-existent, which is arguably a much more challenging task than handing out a toolset and saying 'go', and is something I was really looking forward to seeing how Nintendo approaches.

Someone mentioned in this thread how they've got people to play their levels by looking for online SMM Twitch streamers and posting codes there - which IMO illustrates the sorry state of affairs. So yeah, some of the best content of the year has been watching Dan vs Patrick, so kudos to SMM for enabling that, but as a game in-and-of-itself? Not impressive and feels like a bare minimum effort.

Haunted

It's a lot more interesting to watch both ends of a creation/playthrough experience than it is to actually play the game, that's for sure. The "quality" to "complete shit" ratio is so bad it makes the game basically useless as a casual player.
Yeah, the internal curation tools aren't good enough, the key is definitely to curate makers on your own.

Between the Nintendo-made event levels, the Mario Maker website highlighting new levels every week and GAFer recommendations, I've amassed a collection of creators that regularly provide quality levels, but the main draw of the game for me is still making levels with my nieces and nephews and instructing them on level design 101 (i.e. pls stop throwing a billion enemies on the screen, realise it's impossible and provide a star at the start to run through everything). :lol

Jeffs weird Marrio Maker kink of making things that look ok at first but are actually super fucked is amazing.

Also

keyvisual.jpg

DUDE

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
It is, and SMM has an incredible level creator in it, but where SMM completely fails is building a loop around that. The gamification and community empowerment around the level creation process itself is virtually non-existent, which is arguably a much more challenging task than handing out a toolset and saying 'go', and is something I was really looking forward to seeing how Nintendo approaches.

Someone mentioned in this thread how they've got people to play their levels by looking for online SMM Twitch streamers and posting codes there - which IMO illustrates the sorry state of affairs. So yeah, some of the best content of the year has been watching Dan vs Patrick, so kudos to SMM for enabling that, but as a game in-and-of-itself? Not impressive and feels like a bare minimum effort.

I think conflating the framework of level distribution with the "game-ness" of Mario Maker is a reductive move that shifts emphasis away from the actual play onto the meta-game and external goals/organization of levels.

But that's just me. I also think the act of level creation in itself is a completely valid act of play.

Zaph

I think conflating the framework of level distribution with the "game-ness" of Mario Maker is a reductive move that shifts emphasis away from the actual play onto the meta-game and external goals/organization of levels.

But that's just me. I also think the act of level creation in itself is a completely valid act of play.

I'm not sure on what planet critiquing the presentation and surfacing of a game's sole component is reductive, so okay.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure on what planet critiquing the presentation and surfacing of a game's sole component is reductive, so okay.

It's the part where you said "as a game in and of itself" where it seemed to me like you were doing the thing I said you were doing. I'm not saying that stuff couldn't be better, for sure. But also to some extent it is an unsolvable problem because if the game is popular there are always going to be way more levels being made than people can reasonably organize and surface and play.

Jintor

as a perfectly average normal guy human being guy, dan's tastes can never align with the rest of us flawed monsters and should never be used as a metric for comparison

Hearing that email about something taking Stree Overlord and having a boner for 12 hours and Dan asking what actually happens when you go to the doctor after that.

NEXT WEEKS EMAILS ARE GONNA BE GREAT!

I am pretty the treatment is
a mixture of drugs to help get blood flow back to normal a needle right in the side of the dick to drain the blood out.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
They don't even have to put the needle in there. Just the threat of sticking a needle in a boner is enough to kill it.

While we are on junk talk.

Anyone ever have to get a Catheter? What the hell is that like?

When I was in hospital for a surgery a while ago they nearly gave me one but I eventually was able to pee. Probably because of the fear of if I didnt pee soon a tube would be going the wrong way up my one way street.

I hear its not actually that bad but still.. I wouldnt want to find out.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
While we are on junk talk.

Anyone ever have to get a Catheter? What the hell is that like?

When I was in hospital for a surgery a while ago they nearly gave me one but I eventually was able to pee. Probably because of the fear of if I didnt pee soon a tube would be going the wrong way up my one way street.

I hear its not actually that bad but still.. I wouldnt want to find out.

Oh trust me.

You do.

I bought twisted metal black after hearing Dan talk about it. I have buyers remorse. Those controls have aged.
Sadly, the only twisted metal game that has held up is the PS3 release that everyone quickly forgot about.
I'll never play Vigilant 8 again so that my memories remain intact.
I've been tempted to whip out my Star Wars demolition disc for the dreamcast but I haven't due to similar fears.

Jintor

playing life is strange before watching the playdate. ep 1 pretty odd so far. like the dialogue is so close to being kinda natural but then it swings suddenly and totally misses the mark.

the weird audio cutting out for a hot second occasionally doesn't help. hope i can find a fix for that.

only just passed the 'your decisions gonna do things' tutorial

Volotaire

Fun fact: That shitty jump at the start of Jeff's level was actually one of the obstacles in the final main castle in the Japanese Super Mario Bros 2.

SMB2j_World8-4_C.png

You know, the shitty one for assholes.

I feel the jump in this game is easier to execute. The SMB2 physics differ from the NSMB physics (which Super Mario Maker uses).

popo

I like in the newest Demo Derby Drew hums the old Tested makerbot video theme song when they are talking about discs being made and no one acknowledges why he's humming a song.

I could believe that Jeff never watched one of those videos, he could catch it live if he had an interest. I doubt Dan ever visited the site at all.

i have never played mario is missing before and while it looks like your standard boring edutainment game, watching dan get confused by and vastly overthink this product for elementary school students is pretty funny

Jintor

life is strange being 100% "do you want to save scum... OR NOT" is really stressing me out holy shit

if my choices don't matter plz don't shatter the illusion

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Wow koopa murder from the jump

That one dude near the transamerica building joking about mario's life insurance :s

kvk1

i like their live set a lot better, even in its current bare form

it looks so much better without a lot of the busy stuff in the background

jaina

life is strange being 100% "do you want to save scum... OR NOT" is really stressing me out holy shit
you mean the possibility to rewind after you've seen both reactions after a conversation? That's cool. I usually don't replay a game to see a different outcome but I used the rewind a lot in LiS.

Or are you actually backing up saves?

Jintor

you mean the possibility to rewind after you've seen both reactions after a conversation? That's cool. I usually don't replay a game to see a different outcome but I used the rewind a lot in LiS.

Or are you actually backing up saves?

rewinding because max is 100% like "oh shit I made a DECISION. OH GOD WHAT IF IT WAS THE WRONG DECISION. I SHOULD CHANGE THE DECISION."

it feels like it's so much more baked into the fabric of the universe since doing it over is legit just a button press away and you don't feel like you're breaking the fiction. so I'm getting incredibly stressed

Bowlie

Banned
what is up with Hope in FFXIII
I get so angry at this fucker that I start to laugh hysterically wishing he would stop whining for a second

It's like he's becoming a second Teepo to me

(I'm loving the game, but fuck him)

Bowlie

Banned
upf was pretty good, i take it?

Nathan Drake, Jeff and Rorie laughing at Dan dying through Jeff's levels in SMM. Good fun

Hope is turrble

Also, playing PC Lightning Returns. Best armor looking armor.
Hope also never shuts up in the 3rd game. Like never. Always fucking nagging you about the objective.

That's dope! I got that for my birthday, but still have to play through the first two
(I'd hoped he would grew up a little between the games)

damn, his mom died in front of his eyes

y'all be brooding too

I don't feel like the game gives me space to feel for him. They are all pumped up to kill a god or whatever with intense music in the background, and then you look to the side and he's all "meh"

Maybe he'll have an outburst and punch Snow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom