• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm999

They're the guys who did the Star Wars prequel reviews, right? The ones that pretended to be done by a serial killer because apparently that's funny?

They are but most of the stuff they do doesn't conform to that.

I can see why you'd think that though, the Star Wars reviews are their most well known piece of content by a wide margin.

So what broke Patrick?

The 45 degree jump needed to get the pow block?

Yes, because he did it by mistake while experimenting earlier tonight so that he doesn't play tomorrow morning with no progress like what he did for the past 2 - 3 days.

Is The Klepocalypse the level Dan made during Extra Life?

Yes.

Yeah the RLM Star Wars reviews were their biggest thing, but Half in the Bag is actually their best content.

RLM is fantastic. Also, lol.

W1GHvhS.png

9d5a276e283474ba4271272587f8ab5a_1963298.GIF

They are but most of the stuff they do doesn't conform to that.

I can see why you'd think that though, the Star Wars reviews are their most well known piece of content by a wide margin.
It was enough to turn me off any of their other stuff. Their review of Episode I is significantly worse than the actual movie, which is really saying something.

Megasoum

Banned
Here's the thing... The whole diagonal POW Block thing is an exploit IMO.... It's a complete bullshit move that was never intented by the original designers.

All the other stuff he did with his levels so far could easily be considerd "clever use of game mechanics" but that invisible block thing is just bullshit.

It's a weak move from Dan in an otherwise brilliant level IMO.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
GB yells shit all the time what are you talking about

and Dan's pow block shit is absolutely an exploit. I'm amazed that Jeff approved it while complaining about all the 'exploit shit in Mario Maker'

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Here's the thing... The whole diagonal POW Block thing is an exploit IMO.... It's a complete bullshit move that was never intented by the original designers.

All the other stuff he did with his levels so far could easily be considerd "clever use of game mechanics" but that invisible block thing is just bullshit.

I disagree that it's an exploit, it's a mechanic you can find through normal Mario levels. It might not be intended but you definitely can. All you need to do is understand Mario's jumps and the way blocks work.

Also there's a p switch cannon right below the block, he can use that to get rid of the empty block and turn it into a coin, clearing the way to get the ? box. He's honed in on the bomb instead though.

hamchan

That's the thing... The whole diagonal POW Block thing is an exploit IMO.... It's a complete bullshit move that was never intented by the original designers.

How so? The invisible block thing used in the level is something that can be figured with logic or intuitively from just playing Mario a lot. Of course Patrick would call it an exploit because he's salty he spent so long on something so obvious. Dirty Dan wasn't that dirty in this instance.

#TeamDan

Because there were alternative ways to get the pow block it's completely fair game. If the diagonal jump was the only way then it would be borderline sketchy but even then it's creative use of the game mechanics, but still game mechanics and not an exploit.

hamchan

Also why are we saying "not intended by the game's designers" as some sort of criteria for Dan's dirtiness?
For one thing, I thought the whole spirit of Mario Maker was to just do whatever you want with the tools Nintendo provides and the mechanics. Nintendo wants the player base to go crazy creating levels, showing creativity and all they ask at a minimum is for the player to be able to complete the level.
Also in this case I think Dan is the game designer. He intends for Patrick to make use of the mechanic of invisible blocks not being hit from the side. It's not a glitch or a bug, it's in the mechanics. If Patrick had found a way to get that upper block through a glitch then that would be an exploit.

AcridMeat

Banned
Yeah the Monster Factory stuff doesn't usually do much for me but the fallout 4 one is killing me
Have you watched many of their others? Because if you enjoyed this one you'd definitely enjoy the others, it's very familiar. I had to wipe away tears after this one nonetheless.

Its not a exploit but it sure as heck is a dirty trick.

That being said it is only the tip of the fuckery in this level.

It's the only real puzzle trick in the level that I recall. Everything else is hard platforming and execution which will be much more entertaining to see Patrick fail at.

It's not an exploit. Trick is just an inexperienced Mario player. That's how invisible blocks work, you can go through the sides of them.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
That Patrick video is REALLY great.

Also, I got an email from GB and apparently some bug in their system meant I had like a year extra free premium time. I'm glad they found out the bug right when they had the $35 sale~

The DJ in Fallout 4 is the best DJ in any of the Bethesda Fallouts. He's hilarious.

Kinda reminds me of Griffin McElroy.

I honestly thought it was Justin Roiland (of rick and morty) voicing him until I looked it up.

He's hilarious. But I got a little sick of the repeating music on that station so I switched it up to classical. It works a bit better as background music inst-BONGO BONGO BONGO I DON'T WANNA LEAVE THE CONGO OH NO NO NO NO NO

BearPawB

Banned

How is it not intended?
You move through invisible blocks all the time. They dont show until you hit them from the bottom. it has always been that way

They deserve better than Polygon. I wouldn't want to see them leave games completely, Griffon has really interesting tastes and Justin's Sherlock Holmes bits are astounding, but they are such wasted talent at that place. Actually, Polygon is probably the king of wasted talent right now.

The way they've started covering entertainment just confuses me. Between Vox, The Verge, and Polygon, the same network of sites can have three different posts about the exact same movie. What's the point of that even?

justjim89

I honestly thought it was Justin Roiland (of rick and morty) voicing him until I looked it up.

He's hilarious. But I got a little sick of the repeating music on that station so I switched it up to classical. It works a bit better as background music inst-BONGO BONGO BONGO I DON'T WANNA LEAVE THE CONGO OH NO NO NO NO NO

WHOOOOOOOAAAAAAH PETE!

HE CUT THAT MEAT!

Anjin M

The way they've started covering entertainment just confuses me. Between Vox, The Verge, and Polygon, the same network of sites can have three different posts about the exact same movie. What's the point of that even?

I suspect that they see their readership as separate audiences. The Verge and Polygon have some overlap, but I doubt entertainment posts on one site cannibalize the other. Heck, with Polygon posting about movies and such, they are likely making their audience more attached to the site because they fill multiple needs.

And let's not kid ourselves. Giant Bomb does the same thing, just with F1 and wrestling. If this thread was anything to go on, they should be launching a premium anime cast.

edit://
Direct happened at 5 pm on the east coast. I really doubt it.

But I hope they did too.

I suspect Austin would have reference discussing it in his news piece if they did. But I wish they would have.

Also, there is already a Linkle page on the wiki. Good job, Giant Bomb.

How is it not intended?
You move through invisible blocks all the time. They dont show until you hit them from the bottom. it has always been that way

Yeah, this. If expecting you to go through an invisible block by not approaching it from below is an exploit you might as well shut down Mario Maker.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I can hardly wait to cringe my way through the Legacy of the Void QL. Blizzard's writing is one of a kind.

Dang. Didn't realise the Direct was so late in the day. Oh well.

I read a spoiler for the story on launch day because I didn't care. I laughed and laughed.

I suspect that they see their readership as separate audiences. The Verge and Polygon have some overlap, but I doubt entertainment posts on one site cannibalize the other. Heck, with Polygon posting about movies and such, they are likely making their audience more attached to the site because they fill multiple needs.

And let's not kid ourselves. Giant Bomb does the same thing, just with F1 and wrestling. If this thread was anything to go on, they should be launching a premium anime cast.

edit://

I suspect Austin would have reference discussing it in his news piece if they did. But I wish they would have.

Also, there is already a Linkle page on the wiki. Good job, Giant Bomb.

I feel like the difference is that people want those things because they like the personalities at Giant Bomb so much and want to see them talk about other topics. Polygon is basically just low-rent AV Club with their entertainment coverage.

I feel like the difference is that people want those things because they like the personalities at Giant Bomb so much and want to see them talk about other topics. Polygon is basically just low-rent AV Club with their entertainment coverage.

A.V. Club seems to be on its way to becoming low-rent faster than you can say "Great Job, Internet!"

A.V. Club seems to be on its way to becoming low-rent faster than you can say "Great Job, Internet!"

They've been giving the old Dissolve people some freelance articles, and that's as great as it's always been, but yeah, there's been a definite quality drop. Still have some good stuff though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom