• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowlie

Banned
This Teepo hate is disgusting.

get out

really, by the trailers I expected that game to be super serious. Teepo
trash-talking Maxwell at the "final battle"
did not help me feel that vibe.
When I started the playthrough on Milla's side I accepted it wasn't serious at all, even though I don't like that kind of humour

(but I love Mieu)

Hope did nothing wrong.

Someone with a Yosuke avatar can't be trusted for their opinions on anything.

get out

really, by the trailers I expected that game to be super serious. Teepo
trash-talking Maxwell at the "final battle"
did not help me feel that vibe.
When I started the playthrough on Milla's side I accepted it wasn't serious at all, even though I don't like that kind of humour

(but I love Mieu)

I may only like Teepo because I enjoyed Alvin constantly giving him shit.

Hope did nothing wrong.

932020_1327159172030_full.png

Lelcar

Hope did nothing wrong.

He has one of my favourite scenes in the game. Where Hope is just about to stab Snow to death and then Snow belts out this I-know-and-I-hate-myself speech and then Hope is launched off the building by an explosion and Snow has to rescue him. Hope is abandoned and ridiculed by his peers for the first half of the game and it all builds up into a murderous rage. I liked his arc.

They ruined Hope in the sequels though, well, they ruined every character in the sequels. Couldn't stand him in 13-2. I actually do like the plot of the first game as a standalone thing though.

tumblr_m9uyenSpuO1r3xflso1_400.png

Someone with a Yosuke avatar can't be trusted for their opinions on anything.

That's cuz I lost a bet. I have great taste in characters!

He has one of my favourite scenes in the game. Where Hope is just about to stab Snow to death and then Snow belts out this I-know-and-I-hate-myself speech and then Hope is launched off the building by an explosion and Snow has to rescue him. Hope is abandoned and ridiculed by his peers for the first half of the game and it all builds up into a murderous rage. I liked his arc.

They ruined Hope in the sequels though, well, they ruined every character in the sequels. Couldn't stand him in 13-2. I actually do like the plot of the first game as a standalone thing though.

Agreed, except I did like Hope in 13-2 as an older and wiser person. He didn't get a big character arc, but he didn't really need one.

jaina

You just don't like Teepo because it's New Chie's voice!
(He was annoying but the more sentimental story threads about him got me. And the Alvin/Teepo convos)

Lelcar

Agreed, except I did like Hope in 13-2 as an older and wiser person. He didn't get a big character arc, but he didn't really need one.

I'm just sour about the direction they took the plot in 13-2. I love quantum physics/parallel dimension stories, but 13-2 was so far out of left field and undermined a lot of what I liked about XIII. I come back around on Lightning Returns though. Now that game is ridiculous and nonsensical in a way that I can get behind, and after 13-2, I had accepted that FFXIII is a game that I like in a vacuum and I won't take the rest seriously. Lightning Returns is like an extreme drug-fueled fanfiction, the fate of the universe by the end of LR is insane. LR is a fun romp.

I'm just sour about the direction they took the plot in 13-2. I love quantum physics/parallel dimension stories, but 13-2 was so far out of left field and undermined a lot of what I liked about XIII. I come back around on Lightning Returns though. Now that game is ridiculous and nonsensical in a way that I can get behind, and after 13-2, I had accepted that FFXIII is a game that I like in a vacuum and I won't take the rest seriously. Lightning Returns is like an extreme drug-fueled fanfiction, the fate of the universe by the end of LR is insane. LR is a fun romp.

I had a lot of fun with 13-2, but I agree that its story kinda undermines a lot about the original 13 and was hard to take seriously, especially with how 13 ends. The novella that connects the two games is so random and makes absolutely no sense in the context of only playing 13 that it was painfully obvious that they had no plans to continue the 13 story until well after the story was finished.

I need to get around to playing and beating LR, but I did like what I've seen of that so far. The combat itself makes the game on its own.

Lelcar

I need to get around to playing and beating LR, but I did like what I've seen of that so far. The combat itself makes the game on its own.

Once you wrap your mind around time management aspect of it and figure that out, it's actually a ton of fun. In 2013 it felt like a taste of what FFXV could be like. It's a pretty cool open sandbox type world with fun combat and it's a neat and weird concept.

K.Sabot

Hope did nothing wrong.

he whined a lot but when your plot has your cast doing incredibly stupid, esoteric things, it made him seem like the realist of the group.

hope: some form of "why are we doing [thing]?"

nobody has an answer most of the time, usually some form of "FALCIEFALCIEFALCIECRYSTALIZATION" or "KILL ALL FALCIE"

christ what a plot that game had

Lelcar

I'm going to rant about moogles for a second. I never pictured "kupo" to be an actual word that they used consciously in conversation, nor did I picture them all with high-pitched voices. I was under the impression that "kupo" was more of a tick or a quirk or a sound like a cat's purr that is separate from their english speech. In these new games, however, they use "kupo" as an actual word that they stick into every sentence and it doesn't make any sense! If it's a word then what does it mean? Why are they saying it? And are you telling me that all of these technologically advanced creatures all talk like Bubbles from the Powerpuff Girls? I'd rather moogles talk like that old American FFVI commercial.

I'm going to rant about moogles for a second. I never pictured "kupo" to be an actual word that they used consciously in conversation, nor did I picture them all with high-pitched voices. I was under the impression that "kupo" was more of a tick or a quirk or a sound like a cat's purr that is separate from their english speech. In these new games, however, they use "kupo" as an actual word that they stick into every sentence and it doesn't make any sense! If it's a word then what does it mean? Why are they saying it? And are you telling me that all of these technologically advanced creatures all talk like Bubbles from the Powerpuff Girls? I'd rather moogles talk like that old American FFVI commercial.

I have the same opinion on "D'oh." In script, it's always written as "annoyed grunt" and yet it made its way into official English dictionaries.

ah, they played smm?

goty confirmed, book it, baby

I'm watching the archive of today's GCCX Mario Maker stream and it's great

I don't even have a Wii U and I want this game to win GOTY. It's given me so much enjoyment by it's mere existence and other people playing it. Still not tired of it.

So apparently I got Mario Is Missing and Mario's Time Machine mixed up. The latter is the one I really enjoyed. I'm not sure if I ever played the former.

AcridMeat

Banned
I'm glad Nuclear Throne fully released, I'm taking to it quite a bit. Had it on early access forever but it was pretty buggy for a long time. It'll be on my list definitely.

Also started Far Cry 4 but it was a bit too late to really dig into it. Intro was interesting I guess.

I had a Super Mario Maker suggestion for Dan via PM, but I don't think he took it. But, I'll say it here. If Patrick sees it, oh well. Unfortunately, I don't have Super Mario Maker (and more importantly, a Wii U), but my concept was creating two identical area (at least identical for the most part). The idea to progress in the level you need to enter a pipe. However, when you come out of the pipe, you are back at the start. Only.... you really aren't. You are in an area that is identical to the starting area. Also, in the real area, there would be a pipe that would actually bring you back to the start. I was thinking if you survived to the end of the wrong area, you'd get to the end, and see the flag or whatever, but be blocked by a wall. In the real area, you'd reach the final area and drop down to that same flag. Of course there would be other dangers along the way. Hopefully, enough dangers would exist, so that if someone actually goes into the correct pipe and dies in the real area, they'll ignore the pipe in subsequent playthroughs and get really lost! Would this even work as a concept?

tchocky

I had a Super Mario Maker suggestion for Dan via PM, but I don't think he took it. But, I'll say it here. If Patrick sees it, oh well. Unfortunately, I don't have Super Mario Maker (and more importantly, a Wii U), but my concept was creating two identical area (at least identical for the most part). The idea to progress in the level you need to enter a pipe. However, when you come out of the pipe, you are back at the start. Only.... you really aren't. You are in an area that is identical to the starting area. Also, in the real area, there would be a pipe that would actually bring you back to the start. I was thinking if you survived to the end of the wrong area, you'd get to the end, and see the flag or whatever, but be blocked by a wall. In the real area, you'd reach the final area and drop down to that same flag. Of course there would be other dangers along the way. Hopefully, enough dangers would exist, so that if someone actually goes into the correct pipe and dies in the real area, they'll ignore the pipe in subsequent playthroughs and get really lost! Would this even work as a concept?

Patrick has played a level that was very similar in concept.

Patrick has played a level that was very similar in concept.

I believe it was the Frog Fractions 2 level, which was made by the creator of I Wanna Be The Guy.

That's somewhat like my idea. But, my concept would utilize Dan's trick of a pipe that brings you to the starting level. I think having the real area be identical to the starting area, it could throw people off (especially Patrick).

Dineren

Banned
Has there been a level yet that Patrick hasn't beaten? I have to imagine with as much time as he has played he would be able to finish any level thrown at him.

tchocky

Has there been a level yet that Patrick hasn't beaten? I have to imagine with as much time as he has played he would be able to finish any level thrown at him.

Yes quite a few. If it isn't designed by Dan/Jeff he will usually move on after a couple of streams. He did a level this week called the Klepuzzling that he went into the editor to see how it's done and he also looked at the editor for the bullshit Griffin McElroy level. He has also tried 100 Mario Challenge expert which contained a bunch of levels (mostly Japanese) that defeated him.

But isn't the whole point of Super Mario Maker to, well, make levels? I couldn't imagine getting that game to not create stuff. It'd be like being upset about how the Mario Paint fly squishing game would be boring after a week, and even then I'm sure just playing SMM offers much more fun.
I just like to play cool mario levels man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom