• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dineren

Banned
I saw some video of Devil's Third that actually made the gameplay seem decent. Can't say I'd want to risk spending any money on it though.

Ivan lit up a cigarette while in cover and it actually cast light on the environment and the smoke moved around as I got up and started shooting people. Game is pretty alright.

It also passes the official ricochetguro third person shooter seal of quality test: You can slide and shoot at the same time!

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
pcgamer uk once gave cryostasis a 40 and that game is great so review scores are really a mixed bag and fans of the genre may still derive some visceral enjoyment therein

Some dude in Devil's Third called me a dog and said he'd put me down. Three minutes later in a cutscene, "This dog's off the leash" *jumps out of airplane*
latest

danm999

I'm just sour about the direction they took the plot in 13-2. I love quantum physics/parallel dimension stories, but 13-2 was so far out of left field and undermined a lot of what I liked about XIII. I come back around on Lightning Returns though. Now that game is ridiculous and nonsensical in a way that I can get behind, and after 13-2, I had accepted that FFXIII is a game that I like in a vacuum and I won't take the rest seriously. Lightning Returns is like an extreme drug-fueled fanfiction, the fate of the universe by the end of LR is insane. LR is a fun romp.

I really wish Giant Bomb would do a spoiler cast for Lightning Returns because that game has one of the most mental fucking endings I've ever seen.

I realize however none of them are likely to ever finish it, or even play it.

Xeteh

I wonder if any of the crew got around to playing Tales from the Borderlands. I just finished it and it is phenomenal but I don't think any of them had the chance before the GOTY discussions went down, hopefully they find time to play it eventually.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I wonder if any of the crew got around to playing Tales from the Borderlands. I just finished it and it is phenomenal but I don't think any of them had the chance before the GOTY discussions went down, hopefully they find time to play it eventually.

Austin played some for extra life. Don't think anyone else has though they're aware that a lot of people like it. I think bread said he was gonna try and play it.

EDF 4.1 is so fun.

I love these stupid games

They're so good, I didn't play enough of 4 when I picked it up on the PS3 so I'm looking forward to picking up the PS4 version.

I think Austin is the only one to have played it so far and he only played the first episode, he did say that he'd like to finish it at some point.

Myggen

I really wish Giant Bomb would do a spoiler cast for Lightning Returns because that game has one of the most mental fucking endings I've ever seen.

Brad started it but didn't finish it. XIII broke him

I played episode 1 yesterday. I thought it was pretty good, despite some really stilted acting at times. I was super disappointed at the
Handsome Jack
reveal though, I hope that doesn't taint the whole thing

speaking as someone with no real love for BL2 anyway

(Apropos of nothing,) I love that I can get into the chat without fail on Rivers Cuomo's periscope streams but I can practically never get into chat on Dan's since they fill up so damn quick.

Finally going through Tales from the Borderlands myself. Midway through episode 2, and it really is kinda great so far. I didn't loathe the writing in Borderlands (thought it was your average afterthought game writing) but I do think the name may have kept me from this longer than I would have otherwise considering all the praise.

I played episode 1 yesterday. I thought it was pretty good, despite some really stilted acting at times. I was super disappointed at the
Handsome Jack

I think that they do a really good job at making Jack into a character that isn't just a burning pile of garbage, when I got to that reveal I was kind of bummed but he ended up growing on me to the point where I think he has some of the best moments in the whole series.

AcridMeat

Banned
Wow Mario Is Missing is bizarre. Had no idea what kind of game it was, just that it wasn't a platformer.

edit: I loved EDF 2017, but haven't played any since. I remember hearing the PC one a few years ago was super buggy. I don't mean because of the enemies.
Handsome Jack

I was in the same exact boat, but they do an amazing job turning that character into someone I don't despise.
I think that they do a really good job at making Jack into a character that isn't just a burning pile of garbage, when I got to that reveal I was kind of bummed but he ended up growing on me to the point where I think he has some of the best moments in the whole series.
Yeah this. It's one of the main reasons why I was so surprised at how good TftB is.

danm999

They actually succeed in making him feel menacing as an antagonist which I'm not sure Borderlands 2 ever came close to.

And his speech to Rhys in Episode 5 about how Rhys is much, much better at killing people than him is some great chilling stuff.

hamchan

Since we're talking about playing games I've now put another 10 hours into the Witcher 3 and am enjoying it. I do think it's a game that if you put it down for a little bit it's hard to get back into again. Took me like 3 months.

Not really mental ending, just ridiculously stupid.

Bowlie

Banned
I was thinking Shadow Complex was a little game but this map keeps on growing! Maybe it's because I have not played many metroidvanias lately (last one was Valdis Story) but I didn't expect that

I'm near the end, I think, rushing over everyone with a power boot and shooting rockets at whoever stays alive after that

popo

One of Brad's CBS colleagues is apparently called Schoonmaker. I know it is just a coincidence but I am going to continue to believe that someone legally changed their name just to troll him. If an engineer called Spoilermaker turns up I will know I was right.

popo

What's a schoon though?

How do you make it?

I think it a dutch shoe of some description (so maybe out of wood?). . Shumaker/Schoonmaker/Shoemaker seem to be all regional variants of the same name.

edit:

although the internet says schoonmaken means to clean. So who the fuck knows. Surnames.

They actually succeed in making him feel menacing as an antagonist which I'm not sure Borderlands 2 ever came close to.

And his speech to Rhys in Episode 5 about how Rhys is much, much better at killing people than him is some great chilling stuff.

Tales from the Borderlands Episode 5 spoilers:
That interaction was great and so was the moment when he realises that you're ripping out your cybernetics and basically killing him, it was surprising that they managed to create a moment where I actually felt sympathy for Handsome Jack of all characters.

Tubobutts

I really should get back to the Witcher, but I always end up playing NBA 2K instead and getting mad because sometimes the AI in that game is super stupid.

I really should get back to the Witcher, but I always end up playing NBA 2K instead and getting mad because sometimes the AI in that game is super stupid.

Haven't played it since 2K14, but is the way to play the Career mode still just "call for the ball the second you have control of your player and go hard in the paint until you're the champions?"

Alfredo

I'm going to go buy Devil's Third. Wish me luck.

I was gonna do this, too, but I was going to wait 'til tomorrow when Best Buy starts their "Buy 1 Nintendo Wii U game, get 1 40% off" deal to get Xenoblade Chronicles X and avoid paying full price for Devil's Third...but Best Buy is already sold out of Devil's Third, as is Amazon.

Damn low-print runs. :(

Tubobutts

Is 16 worth it if you played a ton of 15?

That's what I did so I would say yes. I bought it for full price, but if you can get it on sale you should do that. Also I'm still convinced that the make your AI teammates in MyTeam especially stupid to try to get you to spend real money.

Haven't played it since 2K14, but is the way to play the Career mode still just "call for the ball the second you have control of your player and go hard in the paint until you're the champions?"

Career mode is slightly harder because you start off rated as the worst player in the league by a big margin and you can't upgrade anything or earn VC until you finish the Spike Lee stuff. Once you can start to upgrade stuff it gets pretty easy again. The AI is still not great about guarding you off the ball so you can just cut to the basket, call for a pass, and get a dunk pretty often.

yami4ct

They won't finish LiS this year if they don't marathon it next week.

If they do 2 streams next week, it'll be real easy. They have a good amount of Episode 4 left, but they should be able to do that and start 5 if they do a normal length stream. They can then finish up 5 on stream 2 since it's a normal length episode.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't know why because I've always been a casual fan of it, but something about Tekken 7 has me like super hyped.

Like way more than Street Fighter or what I was hyped about MKX. Like yeah man. Let's fucking do it. Let's get some Tekken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom