• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone here with a copy of Rock Band 3 PS3 sends me a photo of the game case and manual showing the expired export key I'll send them 5 dollars. Harmonix support wants a photo with the manual to prove I have a new copy.
I don't

I just want to give them money to let me export Rock Band 3 songs ;-;

Edit: Nevermind, it finally went through and is letting me purchase now.

What's a schoon though?

How do you make it?

I think it a dutch shoe of some description (so maybe out of wood?). . Shumaker/Schoonmaker/Shoemaker seem to be all regional variants of the same name.

edit:

although the internet says schoonmaken means to clean. So who the fuck knows. Surnames.

'Schoon' is Dutch for 'clean' or 'tidy'. 'Maken' is just 'to make'.

So yeah, Schoonmaker means 'cleaner'.

Megasoum

Banned
Listening to the "This Year" best of GB podcast for 2012 and they're talking about 38 Studios shutting down and how cool it is that Irrational is doing a job fair to help people who lost their job.... Man... Yikes

yami4ct

I know it's been mentioned here, but I'll echo statements saying it's really weird Dan doesn't like the Yakuza games. It's a modern brawler with weird over the top moments, badass characters and cool crime stories.

Tubobutts

I know it's been mentioned here, but I'll echo statements saying it's really weird Dan doesn't like the Yakuza games. It's a modern brawler with weird over the top moments, badass characters and cool crime stories.

Because they're un-American. Only Americans can be cool action guys.

santeesioux

The Yakuza games are like the Witcher games for me, they seem like they're right up my alley, but I just can't get into them. I'll probably pick up Yakuza Zero and give it another try though.

It's not in English

I feel like most of the crew would dig the series if they gave it a go but alas it's not to be. Brad in particular has been really dismissive of the series for some reason.

yami4ct

The Yakuza games are like the Witcher games for me, they seem like they're right up my alley, but I just can't get into them. I'll probably pick up Yakuza Zero and give it another try though.

I can see a comparison there, actually. Both series are games that succeed by having great stories, a ton of cool little things to do and super fun casts, but falter when it comes down to the moment to moment combat.

yami4ct

It's not in English

I feel like most of the crew would dig the series if they gave it a go but alas it's not to be. Brad in particular has been really dismissive of the series for some reason.

I get it, but I wish people could get into dealing with subtitles. The Japanese voices in the Yakuza games are incredible and the performances come through even with the language barrier. It also adds a ton to the world. Being in Japanese makes you feel like you're in a Japanese crime drama.

Like I said, I get not being into subtitles, but I just wish that wasn't an issue because it adds so much.

Bowlie

Banned
^

That's so weird to me, I always play with subtitles when possible no matter what the original language is

(I'm also looking for a ps2, that Yakuza Starter Guide thread got me interested in the series)

yami4ct

^

That's so weird to me, I always play with subtitles when possible no matter what the original language is

(I'm also looking for a ps2, that Yakuza Starter Guide thread got me interested in the series)

Yakuza 1 has a pretty awkward english dub that they ditch afterward. 2 is the best game i the series, but is also pretty expensive on the secondary market.

If you want to play the PS2 games and are a crazy person, the best way might actually be to grab the 1+2 HD set they put out in Japan and use one of the guides the community has put out for it. Either that or hope they localize the 1 remake and the inevitable remake of 2.

yami4ct

Eh, I'm kind of moving towards favouring dubs too, though I don't mind subs.

It depends on the thing. For something that is uniquely Japanese like Yakuza, I prefer the original language. It adds to the world. I would prefer Persona to come out dual audio for a similar reason, but the Atlus dubs are good and work.

For something that is its own world like say Xenoblade, a dub can often be preferable.

I'll change up number 2 if the voice cast has a lot of VAs I like. The VLR cast was awesome and I love playing it in Japanese even though the dub is perfectly fine. Same reason why I hope FFXV has a dual audio release. I'm sure the dub will be good, but the Japanese cast has a lot of people on it that I like to listen to.

hamchan

So is Metal Gear.

The final fight in one of those games are 2 badass crime syndicate dudes, shirtless and beating the shit out of each other on an exploding skyscraper. How could you not love that?

Thing is Metal Gear is like Japan doing their own take on American style spy action.

While Yakuza is Japan doing their own super Japanese thing. I never got the sense that Dan actually likes Japanese culture that much. I think you have to be into that and into the J-drama style to like Yakuza, which is pretty much an annualized J-drama to me.

yami4ct

Thing is Metal Gear is like Japan doing their own take on American style spy action.

While Yakuza is Japan doing their own super Japanese thing. I never got the sense that Dan actually likes Japanese culture that much. I think you have to be into that and into the J-drama style to like Yakuza, which is pretty much an annualized J-drama to me.

I get that, but as much as Yakuza cribs the J-Drama style, a good crime story is a good crime story. The thing that benefits Yakuza so much is that as over the top as they can get, the writing is still solid as hell (with the exception of 3). That's kind of more than Metal Gear can say. Since Dan likes stuff like Goodfellas and The Departed, I would think he'd latch onto the great stuff here.

Yo the Bloodborne soundtrack is incredible

I hope it won Giant bombs GoTY for soundtracks

Bloodborne has some great music, but Splatoon exists this year.

A soundtrack needs to not only be good, but needs someone to fight for it. Brad is one of the few people to play Ori this year and I kind of doubt he'll be pushing that hard in the soundtrack category.

Which is a shame because it's an amazing game and it came out at a time where there wasn't many games so it was the perfect time to dive in.

yami4ct

Which is a shame because it's an amazing game and it came out at a time where there wasn't many games so it was the perfect time to dive in.

I played a good chunk of it and it didn't hold me. The game was absolutely gorgeous and the non-verbal storytelling was incredible in parts, but the actual moment to moment gameplay did nothing for me. I really dig Metroidvanias as well.

I played a good chunk of it and it didn't hold me. The game was absolutely gorgeous and the non-verbal storytelling was incredible in parts, but the actual moment to moment gameplay did nothing for me. I really dig Metroidvanias as well.

Hmm weird, I really dug it and felt the sense of progression was great. To me, I wasn't really that hooked in the beginning but after getting the double jump I was all in.

yami4ct

Hmm weird, I really dug it and felt the sense of progression was great. To me, I wasn't really that hooked in the beginning but after getting the double jump I was all in.

It felt too slow to me given the size of the world. Even once your movement options increased, it took forever to get from point A to B.

I also hate super floaty jumps.

I mean just listen to this hype shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWBtpBwzzdM&list=PLpJl5XaLHtLX-pDk4kctGxtF4nq6BIyjg&index=98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcamjcoRmrQ

Also it's a pretty goddamn diverse soundtrack yet is so cohesive.

Also I've never seen a videogame OST remixed and covered on youtube in such a short period of time.

The best musical piece in Undertale is definitely "Undertale" because I can't explain the range of emotions that I was going through when it plays in the game.

when you arrive at asgore's house and you realize that it's exactly the same as toriel's, and she was the only person I killed on my first run ;_;

best boss music is definitely "Hopes and Dreams" though.

Just finished playing A Good Gardener, the game that Austin wrote about this week.

Interesting little thing. My main complaint is that lets say the game is an hour long. I had water to water my plants 10 minutes of that hour. There was never any water.

yami4ct

Ludwigs song is fantastic.

And I dont' get why Splatoon has a good soundtrack. I wouldn't call it memorable.

Splatoon's soundtrack does everything right. It's got a great sound, but it also goes a really long way toward setting the tone and style of the game. It also creates a great frantic pace during the matches themselves.

A good chunk of why Splatoon will end up winning Best Style is due to the heavy lifting of the soundtrack.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The best musical piece in Undertale is definitely "Undertale" because I can't explain the range of emotions that I was going through when it plays in the game.

when you arrive at asgore's house and you realize that it's exactly the same as toriel's, and she was the only person I killed on my first run ;_;

best boss music is definitely "Hopes and Dreams" though.

I have to say though this is the song that evokes the most cherished memories for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z51lfE2k7jU&list=PLpJl5XaLHtLX-pDk4kctGxtF4nq6BIyjg&index=35

Having never listened to the Splatoon soundtrack

I would rather have that win OST than Undertale. There was a place for midi soundtracks, and that was 20 years ago.

Undertale's OST is pretty mixed for me. Some really forgettable stuff mixed with some fantastic songs.

I peaked ahead and the music I've heard from Xenoblade X's OST is easily the best I've heard all year. Trails SC also has a great OST and Devil Survivor 2 RB is based Meguro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom