• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowlie

Banned
Undertale's OST is pretty mixed for me. Some really forgettable stuff mixed with some fantastic songs.

I peaked ahead and the music I've heard from Xenoblade X's OST is easily the best I've heard all year. Trails SC also has a great OST and Devil Survivor 2 RB is based Meguro.

Now I'm listening to it again; it's so good~
(I hope they kept the same songs in the remake)

Now I'm listening to it again; it's so good~
(I hope they kept the same songs in the remake)

I believe its the same music like the first DeSu besides the cut in the "pinch" battle theme. But yeah, its some top tier Meguro music along with Digital Devil Saga and Nocturne.

Edit: And Persona 3.

yami4ct

Undertale's OST is pretty mixed for me. Some really forgettable stuff mixed with some fantastic songs.

I peaked ahead and the music I've heard from Xenoblade X's OST is easily the best I've heard all year. Trails SC also has a great OST and Devil Survivor 2 RB is based Meguro.

XCX has to be the most divisive soundtrack I've seen in a good while. A lot of that is just residual Sawano hate. I get it. He's overexposed, but there's no denying he's talented. He just has a really mixed discography. Some of his stuff like Gundam Unicorn is absolutely amazing while others, like the KLK soundtrack, feel mostly phoned in with a few standouts.

XCX is similarly mixed. It has amazing stuff like the opening theme (which sounds straight out of Gundam Unicorn) and some of the vocal battle themes are great. Then you have stuff like the NLA theme which is just him hamming it up. It fits with the game's tone, but I don't really like listening to it even if I find it super funny.

Trails in the Sky should win most awards. It obviously won't, but it should.

DxPixkQ.png

FFXIV Heavensward is my OST of the year. No chance of Giant Bomb ever playing or hearing that though.

Completely forgot about Heavensward. You're actually super right and i feel bad about it.

XCX has to be the most divisive soundtrack I've seen in a good while. A lot of that is just residual Sawano hate. I get it. He's overexposed, but there's no denying he's talented. He just has a really mixed discography. Some of his stuff like Gundam Unicorn is absolutely amazing while others, like the KLK soundtrack, feel mostly phoned in with a few standouts.

XCX is similarly mixed. It has amazing stuff like the opening theme (which sounds straight out of Gundam Unicorn) and some of the vocal battle themes are great. Then you have stuff like the NLA theme which is just him hamming it up. It fits with the game's tone, but I don't really like listening to it even if I find it super funny.

Trails in the Sky should win most awards. It obviously won't, but it should.

Im working my way through Zeta right now in part to see Sawano at his best in Unicorn. Only about 5 episodes in so far, but I'm really liking how different it is and "Lieutenant Quattro" is as cool as ever.

yami4ct

Im working my way through Zeta right now in part to see Sawano at his best in Unicorn. Only about 5 episodes in so far, but I'm really liking how different it is and "Lieutenant Quattro" is as cool as ever.

If you like Char, you should absolutely read Gundam The Origin. It's a manga remake of 0079 that fixes a lot of that show's problems while expanding parts where the series could use it. It's legit one of my favorite pieces of sci-fi of all time. It treats Char and Amuro as co-protagonsits and the way it shows the OYW as truly a two sided thing rather than the shitty earth government versus the space nazis produces something really interesting.

Zeta is an all time great as well. Unicorn is mostly just cool for its visuals and soundtrack. The story is kind of boring and nothing. ZZ and CCA are both garbage and better left unmentioned. I feel sorry that you still have those coming.

If you like Char, you should absolutely read Gundam The Origin. It's a manga remake of 0079 that fixes a lot of that show's problems while expanding parts where the series could use it. It's legit one of my favorite pieces of sci-fi of all time. It treats Char and Amuro as co-protagonsits and the way it shows the OYW as truly a two sided thing rather than the shitty earth government versus the space nazis produces something really interesting.

Zeta is an all time great as well. Unicorn is mostly just cool for its visuals and soundtrack. The story is kind of boring and nothing. ZZ and CCA are both garbage and better left unmentioned. I feel sorry that you still have those coming.

That actually sounds great. I'm not a big manga guy, but that definitely sounds like a good read since that's kind of what i want from the Amuro/Char story.

CCA is bad? Damn that sucks because just the name alone made it sound really hype.

Is ZZ really important to the whole story to actually be worth watching? Ive heard nothing but bad things.

yami4ct

That actually sounds great. I'm not a big manga guy, but that definitely sounds like a good read since that's kind of what i want from the Amuro/Char story.

CCA is bad? Damn that sucks because just the name alone made it sound really hype.

Is ZZ really important to the whole story to actually be worth watching? Ive heard nothing but bad things.

Unicorn picks up on some of the loose ends left by ZZ, but you can skip it and be fine.

ZZ is awful and inconsistent. Some parts work, but it's like half a kid's show and half a traditional gundam show. That inconsistency is what puts fans off.

CCA is just real real bad. It's pretty as hell, but it feels super contrived to complete the Char and Amuro rivalry even though that doesn't really exist post Zeta. It feels like they pluck 0079 Char out and skip over everything that happened in Zeta. Amuro gets a similar though less severe treatment. It left a massively bad taste in my mouth and absolutely ruined those character's arcs. Really depressing stuff. It doesn't help that the main crux of that story revolves around 2 new garbage tier characters that you could not care less about.

Unicorn picks up on some of the loose ends left by ZZ, but you can skip it and be fine.

ZZ is awful and inconsistent. Some parts work, but it's like half a kid's show and half a traditional gundam show. That inconsistency is what puts fans off.

CCA is just real real bad. It's pretty as hell, but it feels super contrived to complete the Char and Amuro rivalry even though that doesn't really exist post Zeta. It feels like they pluck 0079 Char out and skip over everything that happened in Zeta. Amuro gets a similar though less severe treatment. It left a massively bad taste in my mouth and absolutely ruined those character's arcs. Really depressing stuff. It doesn't help that the main crux of that story revolves around 2 new garbage tier characters that you could not care less about.

Wow that sounds terrible. I'll still give it a watch for curiousity since its only a movie but ill probably skip ZZ or watch a recap if that exists.

yami4ct

Wow that sounds terrible. I'll still give it a watch for curiousity since its only a movie but ill probably skip ZZ or watch a recap if that exists.

CCA is worth watching because it's important to the UC timeline and pretty as hell. It's just got massive problems everywhere else.

I hope that Vertical, the people bringing the Gundam The Origin manga out here, end up licensing the Beltorchika's Children manga being put out in Japan right now. It's a manga adaptation of the book Tomino wrote based on his original draft script for CCA. It actually fixes a ton of my problems with Amuro's character from what I've read. It also does a good job setting up a much darker world that if not justifies why Char does what he does, at least makes a reasonable estimation as to how he does it. CCA feels stupidly rushed in terms of setting up the conflict.

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent

FWIW, I def cosign skipping ZZ (which I bounce off of every time I try to watch it), but I do think Unicorn is worth a watch after you finish Zeta. It does tie up some ZZ loose ends, but it also feels like a great capper to the end of "early" UC (especially if you've also watched 08th MS Team, 0080, and 0083). It's filled with visual, narrative, design, and thematic references to the rest of the UC timeline, and it does some things that re-frame the major conflicts fo the era. It really is just super pretty, too. So yeah: Don't skip Unicorn!

yami4ct

FWIW, I def cosign skipping ZZ (which I bounce off of every time I try to watch it), but I do think Unicorn is worth a watch after you finish Zeta. It does tie up some ZZ loose ends, but it also feels like a great capper to the end of "early" UC (especially if you've also watched 08th MS Team, 0080, and 0083). It's filled with visual, narrative, design, and thematic references to the rest of the UC timeline, and it does some things that re-frame the major conflicts fo the era. It really is just super pretty, too. So yeah: Don't skip Unicorn!

I would never suggest someone skip Unicorn. For the problems I think it has, I still found it to be super cool. The conflict itself feels really weird and small, but I like where the lore goes and the show is visually amazing on a lot of levels. The battle of Torrington in particular is a visual masterwork the likes of which almost no one does. There's also the battle directly after that that all takes place in the upper atmosphere that is wonderfully tense in a way I don't think Gundam has done before.

CCA is worth watching because it's important to the UC timeline and pretty as hell. It's just got massive problems everywhere else.

I hope that Vertical, the people bringing the Gundam The Origin manga out here, end up licensing the Beltorchika's Children manga being put out in Japan right now. It's a manga adaptation of the book Tomino wrote based on his original draft script for CCA. It actually fixes a ton of my problems with Amuro's character from what I've read. It also does a good job setting up a much darker world that if not justifies why Char does what he does, at least makes a reasonable estimation as to how he does it. CCA feels stupidly rushed in terms of setting up the conflict.

That manga actually sounds pretty rad. I can't say much more without finishing Zeta, but hearing that the characters in CAA go backwards is a shame.

Don't worry, I'm definitely not gonna skip Unicorn lol. I recently watched 08th MS Team and definitely plan on giving War in the Pocket a watch before I get to Unicorn as well. Unicorn is one of the shows I'm really looking forward to watching the most along with Zeta currently and others outside the UC timeline like G Gundam and Iron Blooded Orphans.

While I won't disagree with your assessment on CCA, here's a counterpoint. Sazabi is a top ten mobile suit.

yami4ct

While I won't disagree with your assessment on CCA, here's a counterpoint. Sazabi is a top ten mobile suit.

You are not wrong. If there is one thing CCA has going for it, it's fantastic mech design.

I would argue Sinanju is a perfection of the Sazabi design, but they are both fantastic. MG Sazabi Ver Ka might be the all time best Gundam kit there is.

You are not wrong. If there is one thing CCA has going for it, it's fantastic mech design.

I would argue Sinanju is a perfection of the Sazabi design, but they are both fantastic. MG Sazabi Ver Ka might be the all time best Gundam kit there is.

I still have an HG Sazabi I should build. My favorite mobile suit however is Palace Athene. That thing is bulky and sexy. For an HG model, it's as big as MGs. I wish there was an MG variant..

yami4ct

I still have an HG Sazabi I should build. My favorite mobile suit however is Palace Athene. That thing is bulky and sexy. For an HG model, it's as big as MGs. I wish there was an MG variant..

I imagine those funnels with that massive size is why there hasn't been a MG. It would be difficult to support that backpack. Same reason there is no MG Kshatriya despite the ridiculous demand for it. With the advent of the RE/100 line, I could easily see Athene getting done at 1/100 scale.

I imagine those funnels with that massive size is why there hasn't been a MG. It would be difficult to support that backpack. Same reason there is no MG Kshatriya despite the ridiculous demand for it. With the advent of the RE/100 line, I could easily see Athene getting done at 1/100 scale.

Apparently Kshatriya has a 1/100 version? I've never known how much I've wanted it until now(Apparently it's a 3rd party model?)

((Oh Elyn is a Chinese company that produced a 1/100 model))

yami4ct

Apparently Kshatriya has a 1/100 version? I've never known how much I've wanted it until now

Unofficial resin kits for it have existed at 1/100 and larger for a long time. If you want to go that route, prepare to paint and detail the whole thing yourself, do a lot of fixing as resin never comes out well from recasts, work with poisonous resin so mask is required, pin all joints and likely have to glue the thing in a fix pose/use extra support arms as well as pay exorbitant prices. First run resins will likely cost $600+ while not great quality pirate recasts will still be in the 300-400 range.

A 1/100 Kshatriya all but guaranteed for the RE/100 line. Bandai has already started teasing it. It won't have an inner frame or be as detailed, but it'll likely only run $80-100 and naturally support its own weight.

There are companies doing unofficial plastic kits, but I don't think they have the capability to do something as complex or large a task as Kshatriya. I just bought a MG style Akatsuki from a company called Dragon Momoko. They clearly stole the frame from the MG Strike Ver RM, but the rest was all new and the quality was surprisingly good. Not Bandai good, but 90% of the way there. It was really nice to finally have MG of that suit.

Unofficial resin kits for it have existed at 1/100 and larger for a long time. If you want to go that route, prepare to paint and detail the whole thing yourself, do a lot of fixing as resin never comes out well from recasts, work with poisonous resin so mask is required, pin all joints and likely have to glue the thing in a fix pose/use extra support arms as well as pay exorbitant prices. First run resins will likely cost $600+ while not great quality pirate recasts will still be in the 300-400 range.

A 1/100 Kshatriya all but guaranteed for the RE/100 line. Bandai has already started teasing it. It won't have an inner frame or be as detailed, but it'll likely only run $80-100 and naturally support its own weight.

I'm hype. These are my to do models...aside from Death, the rest of them are like, 7 year old kits that have sat around.-

yami4ct

I'm hype. These are my to do models-

The MG Deathscythe Hell EW has problems as a kit, but the design is so damn hype that it doesn't matter. I just built the Altron EW and absolutely fell in love with that particular kit. It's too bad its an exclusive. Everyone should have access to that beauty. The fangs in particular turned out super well.

Have the MG Hyaku-Shiki Ver. 2 coming next week. Got it on sale and am shipping it with my Transformers Unite Warriors Titan Devastator. I'm really excited to get going on that one.

The MG Deathscythe Hell EW has problems as a kit, but the design is so damn hype that it doesn't matter. I just built the Altron EW and absolutely fell in love with that particular kit. It's too bad its an exclusive. Everyone should have access to that beauty. The fangs in particular turned out super well.

Have the MG Hyaku-Shiki Ver. 2 coming next week. Got it on sale and am shipping it with my Transformers Unite Warriors Titan Devastator. I'm really excited to get going on that one.

Oooh, what kind of problems? A story I like telling is that when I was a punk 7 year old, I saw a 1/144 Deathscythe EW kit and asked my dad to get it, it was like 10 bucks back in the 90's. So it was my first Gundam before I really knew what Gundam were(I somehow managed to build him, and then I used him as an action figure!). I still have his torso next to me. Of course I got a 1/144 model(One of the newer versions) when I started heavily getting into Gundam, but I still have the old torso. And when I saw the 1/100 at a store this year, I just had to get him. And I did. And he's still in his box.

Boy this whole having a PC thing has really stopped me from building shit. Damn procrastination and what not..

yami4ct

Oooh, what kind of problems? A story I like telling is that when I was a punk 7 year old, I saw a 1/144 Deathscythe EW kit and asked my dad to get it, it was like 10 bucks back in the 90's. So it was my first Gundam before I really knew what Gundam were(I somehow managed to build him, and then I used him as an action figure!). I still have his torso next to me. Of course I got a 1/144 model(One of the newer versions) when I started heavily getting into Gundam, but I still have the old torso. And when I saw the 1/100 at a store this year, I just had to get him. And I did. And he's still in his box.

Boy this whole having a PC thing has really stopped me from building shit. Damn procrastination and what not..

It's nitpicky stuff and parts not quite being as good as the other guys in the EW line. There are some nasty seams on him, particularly the cloak. The cloak also has a weird feel to it because of the hollowness of the build and it can be a bit tricky to pose and lock in. You also have the spikes on the knees and toes getting in the way of some poses. The knees spikes in particular tend to fall off as well from my build and what I've heard from others. You also have the giant shoulder armor making posing difficult, but that's just a design issue. Not much engineering can do to fix it without jumping in complexity and price.

Might as well share some picks of the Hyaku-Shiki 2.0 as long as I was talking about it.

She's absolutely gorgeous. The design of those completely posable hands are a masterwork of Bandai's engineering team and that gold finish looks crazy good out of the box. An absolute steal at $35. Can't believe it went on sale for that cheap that quickly. A rarity for MGs.

The day Toys R Us began carrying 1/144 models for cheap was the day I fell into a hole of Gundam model building. I'm sure attaining models is easier these days. Back then, figuring it all out with a friend and convincing adults that these 1/110 MGs are worth the expense and sending money orders to strangers on the internet. Come to think of it, importing Gundam models and video games were my earliest online purchases.

Zornack

Listening to last year's Destiny GOTY talk, it's so good. Brad didn't even have to fight that hard for it, Patrick and Vinny did the bulk of it with their "I see how much Brad love it, let's put it on the list" talk.

hamchan

Listening to last year's Destiny GOTY talk, it's so good. Brad didn't even have to fight that hard for it, Patrick and Vinny did the bulk of it with their "I see how much Brad love it, let's put it on the list" talk.

Which is why it was sorta BS since they didn't play it. Everyone else who played it besides Brad not only didn't care about it but actively disliked it.

Zornack

Which is why it was sorta BS since they didn't play it. Everyone else who played it besides Brad not only didn't care about it but actively disliked it.

Eh, a ton of their GotY deliberations boil down to how much someone else liked something. 5-10 is full of stuff that only one person enjoyed.

yami4ct

Dan playing Mario Is Missing may be the most frustrating video on the site, and I've never even seen the game before.

Dan missed some obvious things, but the design of that game is downright dumb. The fact they use a stack system of only checking your last artifact instead of just giving the information Peach what they need if you have it is terrible. They could still easily check everything against the citizens as well by just cycling through each time you clicked the dialogue choice if that was a worry.

hamchan

Eh, a ton of their GotY deliberations boil down to how much someone else liked something. 5-10 is full of stuff that only one person enjoyed.

Eh, but normally they're more disinterested while still recognizing it's a well made game like with Mario Kart 8, rather than them all disliking the game.

demidar

Consensus GotY is a hideous chimera of disillusionment, skewed memories, backstabbing, personal agendas and hypocrisy.

It's the best.

But more seriously I wouldn't take consensus GotY to mean anything (for the reasons stated above) except for entertainment reasons, which also includes Gaf's GotY. It is much more meaningful to see a person's individual list and the rationale behind the entries.

hamchan

What I'm most looking forward to is the epic Mario Maker vs MGSV battle. You can attack Mario Maker for a few things but way less than MGSV which has a whole ton of easy problems you can attack it for, so if the strongest piece Brad is on the MGSV side then that'll be a hell of a battle to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom