• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ori is a great game that has a few glaring flaws: insta-deaths, saving as a mechanic, and awful checkpoints. It repeatedly punishes you in a genre where you constantly need to experiment to find out if something works. It looks amazing and is fun to play but for a game style that's been done so well over the years, it's not even the best Metroidvania in recent memory.

Fireblend

Banned
Ori is so damn good. It's going to end up in my top 5 for sure. The escape sequences after every "boss" are something else. I didn't have any particular issues with the way saving is done, or checkpoints, and I remember dying a lot. I just really enjoyed it.

Great music too.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
**ATTN: BRAD**

John Romero uploaded footage of the id tech demo/port of Mario 3 they made in 1990

https://vimeo.com/148909578

(for those unaware, Carmack and co wanted to replicate the smooth scrolling that NES games had on PC, and then tried to convince Nintendo to let them work on ports. Nintendo said no, and they went on and made Commander Keen)

This is cool from a historical perspective, but I can see why they didn't get the job. Mostly just because of the physics

Pomo

Rewatching Metal Gear Scanlon 1

Pretty sure I've psychoanalyzed why Drew said "H Button"

He was right next to the Heliport

500px-Heliport_Pic_4_(Metal_Gear_Solid_The_Twin_Snakes).jpg

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Can you imagine an alternate universe where the GB crew uses the Youtuber naming convention and only adresses each other by online nicknames?
I cringe everytime I watch some video on Youtube and the people are like "Well, DarkgamerX, what do you think? I dunno Beefmeister, I guess...."

jaina

Can you imagine an alternate universe where the GB crew uses the Youtuber naming convention and only adresses each other by online nicknames?
I cringe everytime I watch some video on Youtube and the people are like "Well, DarkgamerX, what do you think? I dunno Beefmeister, I guess...."
Fantastapotamus, I assume you cringe mostly because the nicknames are spoken? In writing it's less bothersome IMHO.

daydream

Banned
the mario 3 demo seems more promising than mega man (dos) but not by much

i think nintendo realised smooth scrolling was not the end-all-be-all solution to pc platformers and rightly declined

Fantastapotamus

the mario 3 demo seems more promising than mega man (dos) but not by much

i think nintendo realised smooth scrolling was not the end-all-be-all solution to pc platformers and rightly declined

I mean it was just a prototype so show that it could be done, it wasn't inteded to be the final code.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I never finished Ori, but can someone tell me if the intro ever amounts to more than cheap tugging at the FEELS? Because the rest of the game sure didn't seem to do anything with that.

Fantastapotamus

sure, but even if you look at commander keen, it's worlds apart. and i like commander keen but the fidelity was clearly not there to do something like smb3 justice

Commander Keen was awesome and I will murder anyone who says otherwise.
In my mind Commander Keen is better than Mario 3 and I will not replay one or the other to keep that going.

Joeku

I never finished Ori, but can someone tell me if the intro ever amounts to more than cheap tugging at the FEELS? Because the rest of the game sure didn't seem to do anything with that.

They generally make good on the story. More of it towards the back third but it never gets in the way.

Great game though.

Myggen

Commander Keen was awesome and I will murder anyone who says otherwise.
In my mind Commander Keen is better than Mario 3 and I will not replay one or the other to keep that going.

Commander Keen was awesome, but it's a good idea to not replay any of those games if you want to keep that memory!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom