• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will I enjoy Tales from the Borderlands if I know only the bare minimum about that world and the characters involved? I've heard that it's accessible for non-Borderlands players but I wanna make sure I don't have to read up on anything before I begin.

There are many things you could know, but the only thing you should know is the ending of Borderlands 2 involving Handsome Jack. It's very accessible.

Xeteh

Will I enjoy Tales from the Borderlands if I know only the bare minimum about that world and the characters involved? I've heard that it's accessible for non-Borderlands players but I wanna make sure I don't have to read up on anything before I begin.

Yeah, there's some nods/cameos to characters in other Borderlands games but nothing that would leave you hanging to what is going on in the game. You should be fine.

Great, thanks everyone. I'll definitely start it this week once I wrap up Hard West (which is worth checking out if you're desperate for an SPRG fix to hold you over until XCOM 2). I loved Wolf Among Us but the first episode of Game of Thrones (which was free) didn't do much for me at all.

yami4ct

wow, the hype is real

Borderlands is the first Telltale game (Post their switch to TWD style of adventure games) to retain a high degree of quality throughout. TWD goes to absolute shit near the end besides a couple good moments and The Wolf Among Us has a pretty bland mid section, even if it doesn't get TWD bad. Everything I've heard about Game of Thrones makes that sound like a shitshow.

Tales from the Borderlands for 3.75 on PSN was too good to pass up, and you can count me in as a huge advocate for the game. Only an hour or so in, but I'm really enjoying it so far.

And guys, I don't know if I like Patrick's chances with Dan's newest monstrosity. After several earnest attempts I just spent a few minutes in the editor and like... I'm looking at the entire level right in front of me, and it's only baffling me even more. The fact that two people have beaten it seems like a mistake. Absolute chaosgarbage in its purest form.

danm999

The Wolf Among Us had some good bits but it just wasn't five episodes worth of content. Should have been shortened to like three.

Anjin M

Man you guys, I just spent over a month drawing Patrick Klepek's facial hair incorrectly...

pQblQBR.png
That's not wrong, that's art.

edit://
The Giant Bomb Tales from the Borderlands Community: Brute Forcing a Season 2, 1 new sale at a time.

Dear god give me a season 2 TellTale. Please!
I got episode one because it was free on PSN and it is every bit as good as everyone says. I cant believe how good the pacing to that story was.

I had to pick up the season pass for 3.75 also. It feels like stealing.

so if we're plugging stuff can I tell all you guys to watch Fargo

because holy shit man

Seconded. That show is so good! I haven't seen the Season 2 finale yet, gah.

Loved the first season, is the second all out yet? Want to binge watch it.

Yeah, the finale aired on Monday night US time. Good move waiting to binge watch though, because waiting a week between episodes is excruciating.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
And guys, I don't know if I like Patrick's chances with Dan's newest monstrosity. After several earnest attempts I just spent a few minutes in the editor and like... I'm looking at the entire level right in front of me, and it's only baffling me even more. The fact that two people have beaten it seems like a mistake. Absolute chaosgarbage in its purest form.
The only winning move is not to play. I hope Patrick has the balls to just say "I've won this bet several times over, I'm fine".

yeah, I don't think Patrick should refuse to do this

it'd be dumb to tap out before you actually make any money off of this nonsense, and after all of this posturing and "I ain't no fucking baby" he'd look like king baby

would it be kind of funny if he blew it off? sure, but so would a lot of the content produced by him taking this shitshow on

The Mercedes Benz advertising stage in Mario Maker is hilarious, the car's animation for going down the pole is dope though.

it's actually clever to the point that I'd be surprised if it was actually made by people at Mercedes-Benz as they claim it is

demidar

yeah, I don't think Patrick should refuse to do this

it'd be dumb to tap out before you actually make any money off of this nonsense, and after all of this posturing and "I ain't no fucking baby" he'd look like king baby

would it be kind of funny if he blew it off? sure, but so would a lot of the content produced by him taking this shitshow on

Spitting hot fire but unable follow it up is for big dum-dums.

BearPawB

Banned
Just finished Life is Strange

What a great game.
I was emotionally moved several times.

Chloe is the best, no way she was dying. Chloe and Max forever

jaina

Just finished Life is Strange

What a great game.
I was emotionally moved several times.

Chloe is the best, no way she was dying. Chloe and Max forever
LiS ending:
I'm still not sure whether people in the town survived. I think yes, which makes my Chloe ending "happy" :)

BearPawB

Banned
LiS ending:
I'm still not sure whether people in the town survived. I think yes, which makes my Chloe ending "happy" :)

I think they definitely pretty much all die. It isn't like they stop by to say hi to Joyce on their way out of town. I do hate how these choice games always boil down to a simple binary choice at the end, but i'm too used to it by now to complain

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I think they definitely pretty much all die. It isn't like they stop by to say hi to Joyce on their way out of town. I do hate how these choice games always boil down to a simple binary choice at the end, but i'm too used to it by now to complain

Didn't care about any of those suckers and Cloe clearly didn't care about her mum dying. Also the developers tried really hard to make me choose the good ending, so I chose the other one. You can tell by the quality of the endings which one they consider "the right one" but fuck that.

FluxWaveZ

Didn't care about any of those suckers and Cloe clearly didn't care about her mum dying. Also the developers tried really hard to make me choose the good ending, so I chose the other one. You can tell by the quality of the endings which one they consider "the right one" but fuck that.

They ran out of time/budget, as stated by one of the developers after episode 5.

But
I fully disagree that Chloe doesn't care about her mother dying in that ending. She would care a lot, even if it was a delayed reaction that eventually lead her to blame Max for her problems and the death of her mom, and cut contact with her.
(LiS Spoilers)

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

In LiS' case I can forgive it.

Although the choice at the end is binary, it is about the collection of experiences you've had up until then. It is about the time shifting mechanic because without it there would be no choice as you wouldn't have reconnected with Chloe. The story is about getting that chance to bond with Chloe and imo the final choice is logical to that end. HOWEVER the save Chloe ending is obviously rushed.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
In LiS' case I can forgive it.

Although the choice at the end is binary, it is about the collection of experiences you've had up until then. It is about the time shifting mechanic because without it there would be no choice as you wouldn't have reconnected with Chloe. The story is about getting that chance to bond with Chloe and imo the final choice is logical to that end. HOWEVER the save Chloe ending is obviously rushed.

I think it just got sidetracked by the Jefferson subplot. Completely unneeded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom