• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

Kojima did not waste any time confirming his post Konami plans. Boy that was surprisingly quick.

Interested to hear what the scale of the project is. As much as I dig Kojima's work, I think it'd be kind of dumb of Sony to put as large a budget as he's known for on a new franchise for him.

Though Kojima does seem a safer bet than previous stuff they've funded before like The Order 1886.

Joeku

I don't mean this as a shit-on, but I really hope Kojima has some proper high-level collaborators. He does his best work when challenged by and working in concert with others. If not the true PT, I at least hope some sort of half decent writer gets roped in with whatever is coming to keep him on the level.

If so, I have tremendous hope for whatever is coming. In four or five years.

Honestly I'd rather he make a small $15 game a year based on a crazy idea but that ain't where the money be.

FluxWaveZ

Not that this news necessarily warrants it, but has the Bombcast ever done an "emergency podcast" for news that came later in the week that they had to discuss? I know they've abused time travel by editing future discussions into the Bombcast if there was breaking news that came after the initial recording, but I can't remember any specific mini-episodes that were released after Tuesday. But I feel like it's happened.

yami4ct

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=annuTcmB1rw&feature=youtu.be

Holy crap he has become Venom Snake, he's growing a fine ass beard.

Edit-Holy crap the new emblem...it's a skull within an outline of a medieval helmet. That's pretty awesome.

That Koji beard. It's like a man that's come out of an exile into the light of the real world a changed man. I guess that's kind of actually what happened.

I don't mean this as a shit-on, but I really hope Kojima has some proper high-level collaborators. He does his best work when challenged by and working in concert with others. If not the true PT, I at least hope some sort of half decent writer gets roped in with whatever is coming to keep him on the level.

If so, I have tremendous hope for whatever is coming. In four or five years.

Honestly I'd rather he make a small $15 game a year based on a crazy idea but that ain't where the money be.

I think there's still question as to where the money is at with Kojima. Is the money in him or is the vast majority locked behind the Metal Gear name?

Wow that was fast. What a fucking get for Sony, MANNNN.

Interesting that they are still using the Kojima Production name. I wonder how much of the staff is the same. The logo definitely looks very retro and downloadable gameish

Joeku

I think there's still question as to where the money is at with Kojima. Is the money in him or is the vast majority locked behind the Metal Gear name?

Far as I can tell, the money is in crazy trailers, putting "A Hideo Kojima Game" on the box, and marketing the game as "from the creator of Metal Gear Solid".

yami4ct

Wow that was fast. What a fucking get for Sony, MANNNN.

Interesting that they are still using the Kojima Production name. I wonder how much of the staff is the same. The logo definitely looks very retro and downloadable gameish

The logo looks straight out of Peace Walker/MGSV. I'm certain it's the same guy that designed the MSF logo at least. I'm not sure if that was Shinkawa, because I know Kojima had a few people doing logo stuff and the like for those games.

Far as I can tell, the money is in crazy trailers, putting "A Hideo Kojima Game" on the box, and marketing the game as "from the creator of Metal Gear Solid".

Can they even mention MGS in marketing? Did Respawn actively put 'Creators of Call of Duty' in their marketing?

hamchan

The Order was a bad bet, but I doubt it cost near Kojima standards.

I doubt it'll cost near what MGS4 and V cost too but I don't think a budget comparable to Sony's other AAA first party games is out of the question.

It's a good move from both parties either way. Kojima is now not limited to a Kickstarter budget and Sony gets an exclusive game from one of the most famous creators in video games. I'm glad that Kojima is still in this industry and can't wait to see what crazy new thing he's thought of while being forced to work on Metal Gear games.

yami4ct

I doubt it'll cost near what MGS4 and V cost too but I don't think a budget comparable to Sony's other AAA first party games is out of the question.

It's a good move from both parties either way. Kojima is now not limited to a Kickstarter budget and Sony gets an exclusive game from one of the most famous creators in video games. I'm glad that Kojima is still in this industry and can't wait to see what crazy new thing he's thought of while being forced to work on Metal Gear games.

I think it's an interesting and bold move and I doubt they would announce this as a new franchise and partnership if it was just some small Kickstarter. That being said, time will tell if this is a good move for Sony. We'll see if Kojima really has it in him to produce another winner. It's a win for Kojima either way and I'm happy for that.

While I'm pretty sure I saw it in trailer ads around launch, it's also in the first fucking sentence about the game on the official site, yeah. lol

http://www.titanfall.com/game-info

Well that answers that question, haha.

So, you're saying Kojima got straight into business with Sony?

giphy.gif

yami4ct

I'll take a spiritual successor to Zone of the Enders please.

I'd love that purely because I'd love some Shinkawa mech design, but I kind of doubt that's the bet they'd make for a new major AAA franchise.

I'm certain they won't just go stealth action again, but I'm also terrified they will because it'd be the easy money.

I'd love that purely because I'd love some Shinkawa mech design, but I kind of doubt that's the bet they'd make for a new major AAA franchise.

I'm certain they won't just go stealth action again, but I'm also terrified they will because it'd be the easy money.

Well over in the thread someone posted the job listings and they are hiring a "mechanical artist." Not that that's saying too much since Metal Gear had mechs too, but whatever it is will have some form of robots.

Hopefully ones you can fly and swing your beam sword in

And haidara.

yami4ct

Well over in the thread someone posted the job listings and they are hiring a "mechanical artist." Not that that's saying too much since Metal Gear had mechs too, but whatever it is will have some form of robots.

Hopefully ones you can fly and swing your beam sword in

And haidara.

Mechanical design is a super general term in Japanese game development. Practically any game that has some major focus on military equipment or other tech will hire a designer to give it a cohesive look. It's not something purely for the mech genre, though it is most closely associated with it.

Hopefully that listing is for a guy further down the chain and not the lead mechanical design. As I said earlier, Shinkawa needs to keep working with Kojima. It has to happen.

Xeteh

I like how after a year of working at Playstation... John Tiberius Drake still doesn't understand the monster that is Kessler.

Dan is a asleep, he goes to bed at 10:30 like an old man.

This news broke around 12:00 Eastern time, though. So, even if he does go to bed at 10:30, this would've been known at 9:00 Pacific. And clearly there was an NDA, as many articles about it went up immediately. Surely he would've/should've know it was happening.

Boy I have played Diablo alot tonight. I'm watching Netflix and there's a scene with a group of people, and I had an urge to press the keys to Ground Stomp everyone and Rend them.

Xeteh

Boy I have played Diablo alot tonight. I'm watching Netflix and there's a scene with a group of people, and I had an urge to press the keys to Ground Stomp everyone and Rend them.

I play Diablo 3 for a couple weeks at the start of each new season. Looking forward to the next one so I can mindlessly burn several hours each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom