• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy I have played Diablo alot tonight. I'm watching Netflix and there's a scene with a group of people, and I had an urge to press the keys to Ground Stomp everyone and Rend them.
I've played a lot of Diablo for the past three weeks or so. Two character to level 70 and just a few levels short on a third one (this one's hardcore). It's pretty crazy, I don't remember the last time a game hooked like this.

popo

it is a shame Dan didn't chime in on the "is being internet famous weird?" discussion on the bombcast (a question they have answered a number of times).

I feel his perspective would be interesting as he puts himself out there as much as anyone and if anyone can relate to the strange one-sided friendship, it would be him. The most die hard GB fan watches them for over 6 hours a week, follows their every move on social media, talks about them on the internet, spends money traveling to events in the hope of meeting them. Replace GB with Wrestling and now ask Dan if he thinks it is weird.

------------------

also

So many Bombcast emails can be answered with "Who the fuck cares?"

Is Die Hard a christmas movie?

Who the fuck cares?

Is it really chilli if it contains beans?

Who the fuck cares?

I guess it is good for you if these are the only concerns that keep you up at night but take it to an internet forum, there you will find all the meaningless discussion you can handle with people who care every bit as much as you do.

repeater

also

Who the fuck cares?

Who the fuck cares?

I guess it is good for you if these are the only concerns that keep you up at night but take it to an internet forum, there you will find all the meaningless discussion you can handle with people who care every bit as much as you do.
We have fun around these parts?

I didn't know the Bombcast was the place for Serious Concerns that Keep You Up at Night
Now Danswers though..

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
also

Who the fuck cares?

Who the fuck cares?

who the fuck cares???

popo

We have fun around these parts?

I didn't know the Bombcast was the place for Serious Concerns that Keep You Up at Night
Now Danswers though..

I am tired and grumpy, that is my excuse, but you know Jeff feels the same way about most of the "this or that?" emails. You can hear it in his voice. I think he screened emails a lot better when he used to run the podcast. Nevermind me, go back to shit talking each others fruit choices :p

I saw a Giant Bomb fan tumblr go in hard on Patrick about becoming a YouTuber and saying he only gets hits because of Jeff & Dan (which is weird because he has loads of pretty popular ones that aren't GB related including his 2nd most watch Mario video).

His solo videos on YouTube are almost exactly the same as the ones that were on Giant Bomb.

Pretty harsh. Some people don't know how to 'let go' I guess. Tumblr is the worst.

Zaph

Woke up to news Kojima's new game might come to PC. Today was a good day.

I saw a Giant Bomb fan tumblr go in hard on Patrick about becoming a YouTuber and saying he only gets hits because of Jeff & Dan (which is weird because he has loads of pretty popular ones that aren't GB related including his 2nd most watch Mario video).

His solo videos on YouTube are almost exactly the same as the ones that were on Giant Bomb.

Pretty harsh. Tumblr is the worst.

I don't actually think that's true at all either - he seems to have grown a significant audience independently, and going by his twitter, the general age skews a lot younger (which is why he stopped swearing and sings).

If he enjoys doing this, good for him tbh. There are so many scummy Youtubers who target the younger audience, so at least he's out there counterbalancing that a bit.

Myggen

Pretty harsh. Some people don't know how to 'let go' I guess. Tumblr is the worst.

You can direct your complaints at GBGAF regular justjim89 who runs that Tumblr ;)

Well yeah, that's why I posted it here, I knew that person was a GAF member.

It's real weird to say "he’s turning into the this fake ass Youtube persona just for the sake of being a small fish in a sea of Let’s Players. Dude left Giant Bomb to be store-brand version of Markiplier" in my opinion.

repeater

I am tired and grumpy, that is my excuse, but you know Jeff feels the same way about most of the "this or that?" emails. You can hear it in his voice. I think he screened emails a lot better when he used to run the podcast. Nevermind me, go back to shit talking each others fruit choices :p
To be clear, emails is usually my least favorite part of the podcast (though I bet I'm in the minority on this one). But my impression is that the dudes usually have quite a bit of fun with the questions, and I can see how it could be a nice break from constant talk and thought about videogames. Anyway, I feel like the "who the fuck cares?" complaint kind of overgenerates and hits most of the stuff going on at GB or in videogames generally. :p

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

That damn dirty Patrick, getting views outside of GB. He should have gone under, cut all ties with them and then start working under a different name. Fortunate son indeed.
Name of that tumblr?

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I'm not a fan of vinny passing around some handouts before the show so everyone can read the emails. Where's the surprise? I get why he does it, but I think it's super lame. Then again a lot of the beastcast emails have been great so maybe it's worth the lameness.

Ew, so you did the gaf equivalent of a sub-tweet? Think that's worse than the post tbh.

I didn't know what the username was, I don't have a tumblr account tbf. I have no problem talking about this openly. Sub-tweets avoid conflict/are passive-aggressive.

This isn't a personal thing so don't know why you're going down this route.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not a fan of vinny passing around some handouts before the show so everyone can read the emails. Where's the surprise? I get why he does it, but I think it's super lame. Then again a lot of the beastcast emails have been great so maybe it's worth the lameness.
Vinny seems like a producer that wants a little bit of editing and focus in his works, I like that about his stuff.

I like everyone being involved in the discussion over the surprise.

Zaph

Giant Bomb Unarchived should be on some kind of UNESCO Cultural Heritage list or something, to be honest.

I'd just settle for Youtube allowing channels to re-upload the video file without creating a whole new video first (Vimeo does this). We get hit a lot with claims on tiny audio snippets causing territory restrictions or removal. Being able to just mute/trim that segment and then reuploading it would make the process a lot easier. The online tools suck.

Sony doing a bang up job picking up big name jilted game devs.

Ancel and some ex ubi peeps.
Marty O'Donnell and his ex bungie crew.
Yu susuki and his shenmue cult of weirdos.
And now Kojima.

Sony must have a really nice cafeteria to keep attracting people

I love hearing all the behind the scenes stuff about their move and new studio for some reason. It's just sort of exciting after seeing the same sets for so long.

Edit: Also, not sure if anyone listens to Patrick's horror podcast, but man this recent episode completely oversells the movie The Gift. It's a pretty good movie, but the way they talk about the twists being crazy and impossible to predict was a little too overselling it. I'd say there is no way to guess how deep and dark it goes, but the idea around it is pretty easy to pick up on.

Demoskinos

CWU1ev3WIAA-Ewz.jpg

is it just me or does kojima now look like asian chris remo?

Jesus Christ. Man looks like he hasn't slept in months.

Patryn

That was weird. I updated my email to correspond to my new job, but didn't notice a verification email. Then I suddenly found I couldn't post. It was weird.

Turns out my work had filtered the verification email and locked my account out until I clicked the link in it.

Being unable to post is rough.

Patryn

I did not know Andrew House could speak Japanese. Cool!

High up executive in a Japanese company? Doesn't surprise me.

Odds are that once you reach a high enough rank in Sony, you pretty much have to learn some Japanese, especially if you want to continue climbing the ranks.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So I've been down a youtube let's play hole (don't ask me why) and goddamn why do they feel the need to make wacky voices for every single line of dialogue. Every. Single. Dialogue.

I did not know Andrew House could speak Japanese. Cool!

it's really trippy because the pronunciation and everything is good but with a heavy british accent. Can't say I've heard much of that before.

also how the fuck is the company not just named Hideo Games?

lol, Andrew House speaking japanese like it was nothing and here I am struggling with learning Cantonese.

if it's any consolation, you have to learn very few new phonemes with japanese if you're an english speaker. not so with cantonese, AND you have the added benefit of it being a tonal language.

in other words, you've picked a harder language to study than me.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Canto is real weird to me.

I can listen and understand but I don't actually understand any of it on a fundamental level.

Guess growing listening to it you just learn some things naturally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom