• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand what Mary meant on the Bombcast when she was talking about the underwater VR game "solving" a VR problem by not allowing you to look around. Of the issues VR has, "being able to look behind you" is not one of them.

Zaph

Have Namco even made a game for the new boxes yet?

I know they have been helping with Smash Bros and Tekken is coming but I cant think of anything from them.

They published Witcher 3 in Europe and thats all I can think of.

How can you forget such classics as Tales of Zestiria, J-Stars Victory VS, Sword Art Online: Lost Song and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven

Renpatsu

I don't understand what Mary meant on the Bombcast when she was talking about the underwater VR game "solving" a VR problem by not allowing you to look around. Of the issues VR has, "being able to look behind you" is not one of them.
Wasn't that more in reference to the narrow FOV that accompanies VR atm or was I not listening correctly?

Bowlie

Banned
Have Namco even made a game for the new boxes yet?

I know they have been helping with Smash Bros and Tekken is coming but I cant think of anything from them.

They published Witcher 3 in Europe and thats all I can think of.

They published DS as well, and that Dragonball Xeno(cross)verse.

Wasn't that more in reference to the narrow FOV that accompanies VR atm or was I not listening correctly?
Here's what she said:

"It solves some of the problems with VR which is you want to look down, you want to look behind you, well you're in a suit so you can only see where the glass lets you, which is a nice reasonable way to limit why the oculus is the way it is."

She might be referring to field of view, but if she is it still doesn't make any sense. Why would it solve the problem by making it worse?

Mary and Danny should just figure out some premium podcast to do for Giant Bomb if Gamespot has no interest in Podcasts. We don't get near enough Danny and Mary lately.

Lijik

I didn't know what the username was, I don't have a tumblr account tbf. I have no problem talking about this openly. Sub-tweets avoid conflict/are passive-aggressive.

This isn't a personal thing so don't know why you're going down this route.

And framing your post as "Tumblr am i right???" when you actively knew it was someone who posts here and posting it here specifically to get their attention isnt?

Zaph

Here's what she said:

"It solves some of the problems with VR which is you want to look down, you want to look behind you, well you're in a suit so you can only see where the glass lets you, which is a nice reasonable way to limit why the oculus is the way it is."

She might be referring to field of view, but if she is it still doesn't make any sense. Why would it solve the problem by making it worse?

My interpretation of it was Mary addressing something that helps sovle the problem of immersion - an in-game restraint will help you forget about any physical restrictions you may have (sensors, wires etc).

Renpatsu

Here's what she said:

Yeah, I'm of the opinion that she's simply referring to the FOV and that by giving you a contextual explanation for the restricted view it allows your brain to mentally accept the limitations imposed upon you as more natural than breaking the underlying fiction of VR.

repeater

Mary and Danny should just figure out some premium podcast to do for Giant Bomb if Gamespot has no interest in Podcasts. We don't get near enough Danny and Mary lately.
Kick Ryckert out of Danswers and have Mary take his place.

"You've got questions.. we've got...
Da...ma...nswers? [='dem answers!]
"

My interpretation of it was Mary addressing something that helps sovle the problem of immersion - an in-game restraint will help you forget about any physical restrictions you may have (sensors, wires etc).

Yeah, I'm of the opinion that she's simply referring to the FOV and that by giving you a contextual explanation for the restricted view it allows your brain to mentally accept the limitations imposed upon you as more natural than breaking the underlying fiction of VR.

That makes sense, although I would have loved for somebody to ask her further about it instead of just accepting such an odd statement at face value. I acknowledge that I'm "that guy" when it comes to VR, but I do get annoyed when GB talks about it because they really aren't well informed. They should have Will on the Bombcast sometime.

Vincent Caravella ‏@VinnyCaravella 26m26
No more softballs Abrams. You've warmed up enough. Now go make Farscape watchable

How could you Vinny? Take that back, Farscape is amazing.

From past experience, Farscape is the weirdest and best thing to wake up to multiple times while dealing with a flu and falling in and out of sleep constantly.

Lelcar

Dammit, I said I wasn't going to dig my PS3 out of storage, but I liked Yakuza 4 a whole lot and Yakuza 5 is looking veeeeeerrrrrrrryyyyy tempting.

Yakuza 5 looks surprisingly cool. Never played one of those games.
Vincent Caravella ‏@VinnyCaravella 26m26
No more softballs Abrams. You've warmed up enough. Now go make Farscape watchable

How could you Vinny? Take that back, Farscape is amazing.

One third is amazing, one third is ok and one third is insufferable.

Half an hour in and this is a great QL so far. Austin actually knows what he is talking about and chose a good point to show off the game.

meaning, he had the decency to skip over the first hour and a half of cutscenes and handholding and jumped right into the open world.

Austin was a good hire.

killroy87

Man I swear it seems like Dan will go totally silent for like 30 minutes at a time on the Bombcast.

People shit on him for his absurdity (which 90% of the time is goaded out of him by other people or a selected email), and then never appreciate his incredible quality of not feeling the need to constantly talk despite not having anything to say.

Some people at GB, I won't name names, looooooove to talk just for the sake of talking.

People shit on him for his absurdity (which 90% of the time is goaded out of him by other people or a selected email), and then never appreciate his incredible quality of not feeling the need to constantly talk despite not having anything to say.

Some people at GB, I won't name names, looooooove to talk just for the sake of talking.

I mean, it's a podcast? Talking is kind of important. If he doesn't have anything to say for huge chunks of time that's a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom