• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
CWYGsJzUYAAAmDz.png
holy shit, that must be a new record by far for GoTY length.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
That's a whole lot of questioning regarding whether Mario Maker is an actual game or not

I'm already mad just reading this

Makes some sense though. You add even more people to the mix, it's gonna take longer to reach consensus. I think Austin will bring some interesting picks and arguments to the table.

I'm already pre-emptively getting upset at whatever Dan will say to get MGSV in the top spot. Kojima can do no wrong in his eyes; half-baked by design, surely that'll be his defense.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
"Is Mario Maker a game?"

"No, it's a glorified level editor."

"Yep"

"Yep"

"Okay"

Seems pretty straight forward to me, shouldn't take more than a few minutes tops.
Brad's literally the only person who thinks that. Dan said that he had the most emotional response ever in a video game out of Mario Maker. Jeff said it was their best game since Ocarina of Time.

Mario Maker is going to DESTROY the other games.

bigkrev

They really should split it into 10 episodes or something and start posting them earlier. 18 hours in a 1 week period is ridicculous. That's like a part time job!

I have a feeling you're going to be disappointed.

Brad's literally the only person who thinks that. Dan said that he had the most emotional response ever in a video game out of Mario Maker. Jeff said it was their best game since Ocarina of Time.

If there's a Best Level Editor of 2015 award then sure. That's all it really deserves.

They really should split it into 10 episodes or something and start posting them earlier. 18 hours in a 1 week period is ridicculous. That's like a part time job!

Last year it was all released during Christmas week so I had to sneak in bits of the podcasts here and there around all the crap going on then. It would be nice if they released it earlier.

It's definitely the best Mario product of 2015 so it's going to get some awards, like best level editor of the year and most game-like editor for 2015, best tool for making a mario game on the wiiu should also be a lock

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I'm already pre-emptively getting upset at whatever Dan will say to get MGSV in the top spot. Kojima can do no wrong in his eyes; half-baked by design, surely that'll be his defense.

I think Mario Maker will be their #1. Jeff and Dan are still actively playing it and they continue to discuss it in the site's content.

repeater

GOTY deliberations actually did not run any longer than last year. Brad just cropped out his sweet 6-hour megamix of the best chillwave from that playlist screen dump.

shwimpy

I'll give you Jeff and Dan but does anyone else on the staff even remotely care about the game?

I guess the Witcher 3 will be the most academically interesting game for Giant Bomb's GotY judgement. Not one of them has really taken to it, let alone finished it, and if they add it to the GotY list out of a sheer sense of obligation it'll be pretty weird... but, at the same time, excluding it would be equally bizarre. It's a messed up situation they've inflicted upon themselves.
I'm unemployed at the moment so I could use this part time job

The pay sucks, but don't worry: it's really about the experience.
I'll give you Jeff and Dan but does anyone else on the staff even remotely care about the game?

Didn't Jeff singlehandedly get Syndicate onto the GotY list a few years back?

I think Mario Maker will be their #1. Jeff and Dan are still actively playing it and they continue to discuss it in the site's content.

GB East tho. Jeff and Dan are only 2 people.

That's what I'm saying, I don't see the two of them being able to squeeze it into the top spot. Jeff could probably put up an alright fight but Dan would put up a bigger one for MGSV I would think.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
GB East tho. Jeff and Dan are only 2 people.

I don't know that the East crew has been as passionate about any game this year as Dan and Jeff have been about Mario Maker. I could see them arguing the other top 10 games. Austin might push for Her Story or Galak-Z and Alex for Splatoon, but I don't know that they would have much, if any, support.

I don't know that the East crew has been as passionate about any game this year as Dan and Jeff have been about Mario Maker. I could see them arguing the rest. Austin might push for Her Story or Galak-Z and Alex for Splatoon, but I don't know that they would have much, if any, support.
I want to believe...
tumblr_nz7z75hPj21ubpbmgo1_500.gif

vs

tumblr_nro1enskFP1qeuiqyo2_500.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Only Dan and Brad were that passionate about MGS V. And there's no way Dan is going to put MGS over Mario Maker after how many hours he's gone back to MM after the fact.

And Brad's barely talked about MGS V after it came out where as Jeff and Dan talk about MM every single week.

I don't know that the East crew has been as passionate about any game this year as Dan and Jeff have been about Mario Maker. I could see them arguing the other top 10 games. Austin might push for Her Story or Galak-Z and Alex for Splatoon, but I don't know that they would have much, if any, support.

I think austin played ahead in life is strange before goty seeing how he used the last frame of the game in one of his blog posts recently

So its probably that

shwimpy

Only Dan and Brad were that passionate about MGS V. And there's no way Dan is going to put MGS over Mario Maker after how many hours he's gone back to MM after the fact.

And Brad's barely talked about MGS V after it came out where as Jeff and Dan talk about MM every single week.
Brad, Dan Jeff, Vinny, and Jason (maybe Drew?) all loved MGSV during its release period. They've talked about the how shitty the stuff after release were but it didn't affect them so I don't think it'll sway their thoughts about the game too much.

eh, Jeff was also super into MGSV, too, as was Jason. Also dont see Drew picking SMM over MGSV

They're entitled to give their GOTY to whatever they like but Dan and Jeff's SMM experience has been very uniquely different that the average player. As someone who owns both games and enjoyed them, it's weird to see how their social media reach has impacted their SMM experience in ways that people who do not have that reach or interest in engaging people in the same fashion would never get out of SMM.

but like i said, it's their award and they can do with it as they like

LiK

they don't really need to beat LiS for it to be on the list. we've seen that happen with other games. they just need enough votes for it. but i'm expecting them to put it into other categories like characters etc.

Life is Strange is a helluva game. There's only two sides to it: the group that thinks Life is Strange is incredible, or the group that thinks Tales From the Borderland is incredible.

It's a tough choice, but since only Austin has really played TFtB I imagine LiS has it on lock.
Contradiction as best site content 2015? Maybe. Best game? No way.

The most legit FMV game ever made? A case could be made.

Tears in my eyes at Yakuza finally getting recognition on the site. So many people will give the series a chance because of this.

Where is my hot Devil's Third quick look though? Game of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom