• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pictures, bruh. Put up or shut up!
20151216_19180027sp5.png
Monitor is 1440P, 144Hz and gsync'd which is nice.

You don't need a photo of my tiny feet on the pedals :p

Daaamn you have a Warthog! Does it feel, like, so fucking good? I gotta get me one of those monitors too.
It feels great although the stick, triggers and throttle require a decent amount of force to operate which is counter intuitive to how space games are generally designed in terms of general ease. I like it though, adds a bit of weight to everything you do. Just keep in mind you will need pedals because the Warthog doesn't have twist support. Most of the time I just like messing with all the physical toggles on the the Throttle base. Flick up and down.

And yeah, gsync is the best gaming technology to come out for as long as I can remember. I'll never buy a monitor without it.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I just randomly found this. Had no idea I owned it.
rop3Bzwl.jpg

How does Dan feel about the best wrasslin game this side of the N64 games?

I do want to buy Life is Strange after hearing all the good reactions until I remember I'm a cheap bastard. Why has there not been a deal for it on the EU PSN yet? :(

Joeku

Mike's Hard is barely a "I don't have work tomorrow" drink

You're not wrong. It's super weak shit. I was already like three mixed drinks and a beer in before that, though.

Before Undertale I remembered I had meant to play Emily is Away. So I did. Boy, do I hate my 18 year-old self.

Dragon

Banned
It's a new game. (=sequel)
Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX) is much more highly regarded. I found the judges system in Tactics Advance annoying and stopped playing, but some prefer it's challenge.

Oh right! Forgot about that. Got it confused with the War of the Lions game on the PSP.

You're not wrong. It's super weak shit. I was already like three mixed drinks and a beer in before that, though.

Before Undertale I remembered I had meant to play Emily is Away. So I did. Boy, do I hate my 18 year-old self.
Games about online relationships seem to be the hot new shit nowadays.

It's kind of interesting that games seem to be the only media that's really exploring that space right now. Homestuck is the only non-game thing I can think of that trades heavily in online relationships. I guess it's a hard thing to portray on a screen. And a lot of the public over 30 years old probably still thinks chatrooms are just for catfishing pedophiles.

daydream

Banned

It's kind of interesting that games seem to be the only media that's really exploring that space right now. Homestuck is the only non-game thing I can think of that trades heavily in online relationships. I guess it's a hard thing to portray on a screen. And a lot of the public over 30 years old probably still thinks chatrooms are just for catfishing pedophiles.

yeah, literature is trying but unless you're going into hyperfiction territory, an adequate literary form has yet to be found for that stuff, for sure. it's tough to not drift into triviality

same with film, how to portray the textual aspect of communication? lots of films have had a go at this but yeah, that space is still being explored

yeah, literature is trying but unless you're going into hyperfiction territory, an adequate literary form has yet to be found for that stuff, for sure. it's tough to not drift into triviality

same with film, how to portray the textual aspect of communication? lots of films have had a go at this but yeah, that space is still being explored

I love how House of Cards does it and it seems like this video is kind of covering that style of going about it.

Is this longer than usual for GOTY. 18/5 is 3. Since it's over 18 hours, each episode is slightly over 3 hours (don't know how that remaining half-hour is spread among the five episodes). Isn't that par for the course for the GOTYcasts?
18/6 is 3. 18.5 hours over 5 days is nearly 3:45 each. That's waaay longer than last year, where they ran 2:25, 2:29, 1:49, 1:34, and 4:14. Now I'm curious what the split is going to be... are we looking at a 6+ hour podcast for the last day? D:

tchocky

Off The Clock: My Own Personal Investigation Team by Austin Walker

After years of trying to make it happen, I finally got to play Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective. I was not disappointed.

Honestly, it’s hard not to compare SH:CD to Her Story. Both are games that feature open-ended investigation, and SH:CD is a keen reminder that Her Story shouldn’t be lauded simply for being “fresh," either. As a friend was keen to remind me just after it released, Her Story is not the first game on the market to feature database diving and non-linear storytelling. Christine Love’s Digital: A Love Story and Analogue: A Hate Story both let players dig through e-mail correspondence in a way similar to Her Story’s faux-desktop detective work.

daydream

Banned
What big or at least notable games haven't they quick looked this year? Jotun comes to mind.

criminal girls dragon quest heroes, devil survivor 2 record breaker (aka basically every 3ds + vita rpg out there; also, basically every vita game out there; also, basically every jrpg out there), story of seasons, xeodrifter,
project mirai
, armikrog

mostly stuff i wouldn't ever expect them to play, though

let's hope a steam world heist ql is coming

Joeku

It's a pretty direct connection to make software about software. Turning old ideas from effectively the same medium into a nostalgia play makes sense.

As far as texting and social media goes in movies, I'm a fan of the Sex Drive and Sherlock "in-the-world" presentation and things akin to it (like this film that beat the one I worked on in a 24-hour film contest this year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Aiq2Liles). Gets the point across without being intrusive and fucking atrociously designed, a la Dexter.

All right here we go.

Pardon the mess and the shitty picture (not great lighting conditions here)

Also, a bunch of prescription drugs on that stool lol

So right now my current setup is:

Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel (XB1/PC)

Thrustmaster Ferrari 599XX EVO Wheel rim
(made with real Alcantara leather... That thing is amazing)

Thrustmaster TH8A Add-On Gearbox
(set in sequential right now but it can also do 7 Gears + Reverse).

Pedals are Fanatec Clubsport Pedals V1
(they are up to V3 now but I've had those V1 for like 5 years now)
I use a Basherboards CPX adapter to plug them in the Thrustmaster wheel (I could plug them directly in the PC via USB but then I couldn't use them on the XB1).

My first "pro" wheel was a Fanatec Porsche 911 Turbo S wheel that I bought around the time Forza 3 came out. As you can probably imagine looking at that picture, those stock Fanatec plastic pedals are TEEERRRIIIIBBLLLEEEE so I upgraded to the Clubsport after I broke TWO sets of those stock pedals in like 1 month... The CSPs have been running great since... knock on wood.

I then eventually swapped that PWTS to a Fanatec CSR. Not a bad wheel.

After a while though I got really fed up with the shoddy build quality and overpriced Fanatec stuff and switched to the Thrustmaster ecosystem (Except for the pedals sets).

Almost identical to my setup, except I have a dedicated racing seat, and my clubsport V1 are in a box along with my pwts. I had a momunt 2 weeks ago where I almost dropped $750 on a Fanatec clubsport V2 wheel base and rim......but I talked myself out of it.

Megasoum

Banned
Almost identical to my setup, except I have a dedicated racing seat, and my clubsport V1 are in a box along with my pwts. I had a momunt 2 weeks ago where I almost dropped $750 on a Fanatec clubsport V2 wheel base and rim......but I talked myself out of it.

Good move lol. What pedals are you using right now?

It's crazy to think that I've probably read reviews from Dan due to the Game Informer I would get before I knew who Dan was, now that I think about it. I should see...if I have any old game informers..

Dragon

Banned
Hmm, I wonder what's causing them to lose out on uniques (left is rank in the world according to alexa.com):

graph

I realize page views with ad calls and premium membership are more important, still interested though.

Even outside of the difficulty of showing it onscreen in a compelling manner there's also the difficulty of exploring texting, IMing, etc as its own form of socialization with its own rules and linguistics and nuance. In most media it feels very utilitarian. Master of None is one of the few things that I think pulls it off in a way that feels authentic.

I did play through Emily is Away since it's so short. Didn't quite work for me but I do like the concept behind the final chapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom