• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
I should really continue my Undertale or Tales from the Borderlands save but I started watching the show Wayward Pines tonight and now I can't stop watching it... That show is great and really fucked up.

I'm surprised they haven't looked at Dragon Quest Heroes. They usually look at Musou games and Dragon Quest is a well known franchise. Hopefully they get to it eventually.
Alright, decided to start playing Yakuza 4 again and I'm back in.
Nice, hope you enjoy it.

Someone should tweet the crew to play Jotun, it's really neat.
323580_2015-12-16_000yrj6a.png
323580_2015-12-16_000q4jh5.png

323580_2015-12-16_000pmjuw.png
323580_2015-12-16_0001gju9.png

chrixter

SOMA is damn good. Thanks to those here who recommended it. Looking forward to Vinny and Brad (hopefully) discussing it in the GOTYcasts.

It has some of the most memorable decisions I've ever wrestled with in a game, and not because the game necessarily plays out the butterfly effect of any particular decision, but because they're profound decisions in and of themselves (which is player choice at its best, IMO). Like
whether or not to enable the suicide of the last surviving human being. Fuck, that was heavy. I'd love to hear how Vinny wrestled with that one, especially after hearing him talk about the big decision in the most recent episode of GBE Playdate: LiS. I feel like I share Vinny and Austin's philosophy there, but in SOMA I still couldn't bring myself to kill the last human. The game in general forced me to think about its questions in a way that other media dealing with similar subject matter haven't.

daydream

Banned
seems like beast have largely given up on scouring steam or itch.io for whatever

this is generally a good thing, i'd say, though it does seem to lead to them overlooking a lot of the more indie interesting releases in the process

daydream

Banned
there are people who play every single new vn that releases (since they're not that many of them out coming out). even the cheapest, most generic art and zero-point-zero-effort writing are enough to net you a purchase from that group of people

some people truly feel compelled by the power of anime, i suppose (and aren't aware that there are other forms of art that combine image and text in similar fashion?)

there are people who play every single new vn that releases (since they're not that many of them out coming out). even the cheapest, most generic art and zero-point-zero-effort writing are enough to net you a purchase from that group of people

some people truly feel compelled by the power of anime, i suppose (and aren't aware that there are other forms of art that combine image and text in similar fashion?)

Ya know, I've been meaning to make a visual novel...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
if i had to put a game out on steam, i know damn well what i'd go for

also look at kickstarters of vns, they reach fucking crazy numbers

Like, new VNs though? The only big ones I'm aware of are already very established VNs with an established fanbase.

justjim89

I don't see how Austin put so much time into Invisible, Inc. That game is just straight up stressful. Like, I'm about 10 hours in and probably within a few hours of finishing my first run on beginner, but every mission I feel like I just get by through the skin of my teeth and I can't play anymore in that sitting. It's an incredible game and somehow makes turn based stealth seem like the most obvious thing in the world, but everything feels so high stakes.

daydream

Banned
Like, new VNs though? The only big ones I'm aware of are already very established VNs with an established fanbase.

i mean, a lot of them are localisations of known quantities, granted

but for all intents and purposes, these are new games to the people that play the localisation

point is, there's a very dedicated vn community out there and they willingly take a looooot of the bad with the good

Antiwhippy

i mean, a lot of them are localisations of known quantities, granted

but for all intents and purposes, these are new games to the people that play the localisation

point is, there's a very dedicated vn community out there and they willingly take a looooot of the bad with the good

A lot of them already have fan translations though. Plus word of mouth from the usually very vocal fanbase.

I don't see how Austin put so much time into Invisible, Inc. That game is just straight up stressful. Like, I'm about 10 hours in and probably within a few hours of finishing my first run on beginner, but every mission I feel like I just get by through the skin of my teeth and I can't play anymore in that sitting. It's an incredible game and somehow makes turn based stealth seem like the most obvious thing in the world, but everything feels so high stakes.

If I didn't feel a need to 'keep up' with other releases or deal with backlogged games I could play that game forever I think. So fun coming up with strategies with what you are given

TraBuch

Banned
Every VN I've read has had serious pacing issues. It's especially annoying when they describe every scene in minute detail when you can see what's happening pretty easily.

jaina

Hmm, I wonder what's causing them to lose out on uniques (left is rank in the world according to alexa.com):

graph

I realize page views with ad calls and premium membership are more important, still interested though.
Amount of reviews is my guess. Maybe compare it with Anjin's review stats.

edit: Marino does numbers too: http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/marino/blog/by-the-numbers-666-reviews/111203/
There is a correlation to the uniques.

edit2: Haha, I just noticed your graph is MONTHS in 2015. Nevermind!

Bradwarden living up to his name.

I, uh, sorta assumed that Sherlock Holmes boardgame was decades old for some reason, so hearing about the expansion in 2016 caught me off guard. Boardgames are so weird.

Also, let it be known that Analogue: A Hate Story is really good; way better than I ever expected going in. (I almost quit playing it initially. Then I went on to get every ending... Yeah.)

I really like the look of the arcana items, but jeeze 35 dollars.
I bought the PA one

I only bought the techies one. After the nerfs I feel like a god damn fool. I really want the zeus one but I also might cave and buy the terror blade arcana aswell

misc-moneybag.gif

Jintor

I want to make a VN so bad, i swear to god

Actually an interesting concept I always liked was a game called Embric at Wulfhammer Castle, which was basically a VN but instead of just moving from screen to screen it was more like the FF/Zelda top-down view, but you were never fighting things as such and, I eventually worked out, you were just playing a VN. Surprisingly good writing for an RPGMaker project.

Antiwhippy

I actually do have a pretty interesting idea for a persona-like VN that I want to work on in the future. Need to learn how to work with some of the third party game engines first though.

Let's all just make VNs!

LiK

I want to make a VN so bad, i swear to god

Actually an interesting concept I always liked was a game called Embric at Wulfhammer Castle, which was basically a VN but instead of just moving from screen to screen it was more like the FF/Zelda top-down view, but you were never fighting things as such and, I eventually worked out, you were just playing a VN. Surprisingly good writing for an RPGMaker project.

if you wanna work on a VN, lemme know. i'm up for a collab project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom