• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red UFO

Thanks.

Not having a perspective on Dota 2 it's really hard for me to understand this. I don't think I've paid 35 dollars for a PC game in like forever haha.
I think a lot of people can justify it to themselves by contrasting it with how many hours they've spent on the game. For example, I've spent over 3500 hours playing, so I don't mind buying an arcana when it comes along (and they don't come along often, there's only a handful in the game).

BearPawB

Banned
Thanks.

Not having a perspective on Dota 2 it's really hard for me to understand this. I don't think I've paid 35 dollars for a PC game in like forever haha.

I have spent more on Dota 2 than almost any other game outside of WoW.
But I am happy to support the game, because it is just that good.

I have spent over 1800 hours in the client. Played over 1000 matches.

So sometimes I splurge and buy some cosmetics. Most of them are a dollar or 2. But i have bought one $35 one.

I really am hating the microtransactions in Destiny. That stuff can fuck right off. In DotA2 it's fine cause...it really is just a cool looking cosmetic. For Destiny though? It started off innocent enough. Sure it's mainly cosmetic, there is gear you can technically 'buy' in the store, but I feel it's just going to get much worse.

Dragon

Banned
I think a lot of people can justify it to themselves by contrasting it with how many hours they've spent on the game. For example, I've spent over 3500 hours playing, so I don't mind buying an arcana when it comes along (and they don't come along often, there's only a handful in the game).

I have spent more on Dota 2 than almost any other game outside of WoW.
But I am happy to support the game, because it is just that good.

I have spent over 1800 hours in the client. Played over 1000 matches.

So sometimes I splurge and buy some cosmetics. Most of them are a dollar or 2. But i have bought one $35 one.

Seems like you guys are on the same wavelength. It makes some sense now to me. Kinda like why I buy games like Tearaway on two platforms to support the devs even if I haven't completed it yet :)

I wish GBEast would do a Endurance Run of Yakuza 5.

Yakuza 5 is GOTY

Since Dan is essentially making the GBWest crew play Mario Party after Mario Party, there should be a segment where one of the other GBWest people get to pick a game he has to play. Doesn't have to complete it, but I'd really love to see how mad Yakuza 5 would make him if he was so adamantly hating 3.

Dragon

Banned
Woooh I did not know there was a PlayStation Dual Analog controller before the DualShock.

PS1_Dual_Analog_with_Box.jpg

Lijik

I actually do have a pretty interesting idea for a persona-like VN that I want to work on in the future. Need to learn how to work with some of the third party game engines first though.

Let's all just make VNs!

Honestly, i had an idea for a VN back in 2012 i never made because i was too busy with my job then and writing is time consuming

if we did a gb-gaf vn jam id be so down

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/PS1_Dual_Analog_with_Box.jpg [img][/QUOTE]
I want one just to mess with the sticks.

[quote="Lijik, post: 189596783"]Honestly, i had an idea for a VN back in 2012 i never made because i was too busy with my job then and writing is time consuming

[B]if we did a gb-gaf vn jam id be so down[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes. Oh sweet goodness yes.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nah, I want to do persona calendar progression style though.

Sorta like a university simulator done in persona style, but replace dungeons with learning a musical piece passage by passage leading up to the final recital "boss fight".

Was hoping that persona DAN would kinda follow that style but they just made it a VN with songs sprinkled randomly.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Seems like you guys are on the same wavelength. It makes some sense now to me. Kinda like why I buy games like Tearaway on two platforms to support the devs even if I haven't completed it yet :)

Yeah plus if its a hero you like its usually worth it. They tend to overhaul appearance to be more impressive, add brand new animations and effects for abilities, and other generally cool stuff

Yeah plus if its a hero you like its usually worth it. They tend to overhaul appearance to be more impressive, add brand new animations and effects for abilities, and other generally cool stuff

Yeah. You can mix and match sets too. Then there's customization of the ui, in game elements such as wards and announcers...

.....they've got their game on.

bender

What time is it?
I wish GBEast would do a Endurance Run of Yakuza 5.

This would be amazing. I really want to replay Yakuza 5 in English to get the story beats but the task seems daunting. An Endurance Run would be the perfect substitute. The QuickLook was great.

Hmm, I wonder what's causing them to lose out on uniques (left is rank in the world according to alexa.com):

graph

I realize page views with ad calls and premium membership are more important, still interested though.

Wonder if the addition of YouTube gaming had anything to do with it. Most of my interaction with the site is through my Roku, but would have to go to the site for live stuff. Between E3, extra life, and some other events I used YouTube because it offered more viewing options for me.

As someone who loves Yakuza 5, I don't think a Yakuza 5 endurance run would be very good.
Anything is better than MGSV

I agree
Although it'd be neat to have Austin gets to Haruka's chapter and show some of it off because it does an incredible job of showing how ambitious the series is and has a lot of really neat elements you don't see anywhere else in the series. Plus all of the idol jobs and TV shows you can do for publicity (totally optional) are incredible. Honestly, I'd think it'd be a great series to do do an Endurance Run of if it wasn't for so much of the game having unvoiced text.

Xeteh

They've kind of come back.

One of the defining characteristics of Endurance Runs was the daily commitment, which is the main reason they got away from doing them, I imagine.

Yeah, it has to be a huge commitment for them to do a new video each day... especially now that they're bigger than they were back when they did the P4 and Deadly Premonition ERs.

They don't count because I'm arbitrarily saying they don't.

Fair enough, at least you're honest!

I just beat the boss from the witcher 3 DLC that I was having trouble beating, and now I'm definitely going to get back into that game. Just in time to be mad when it doesn't win game of the year!

Xeteh

I just beat the boss from the witcher 3 DLC that I was having trouble beating, and now I'm definitely going to get back into that game. Just in time to be mad when it doesn't win game of the year!

Don't even be mad. Witcher 3 is my GOTY but my mind would explode if it showed up in GB's top 10 the way they all lost interest in it. Its a shame but whatever, its no big deal.

Jintor

Nah, I want to do persona calendar progression style though.

Sorta like a university simulator done in persona style, but replace dungeons with learning a musical piece passage by passage leading up to the final recital "boss fight".

Was hoping that persona DAN would kinda follow that style but they just made it a VN with songs sprinkled randomly.

I actually do think that's probably the best format for a VN to take. Passage of time management stuff. The only problem is what to fill the dungeon crawling segments with instead.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I actually do think that's probably the best format for a VN to take. Passage of time management stuff. The only problem is what to fill the dungeon crawling segments with instead.

Rhythm gameplay. Where regular dungeon crawling is basically like a practice session.

I won't lie that I basically want to make persona x nodame cantabile.

Bowlie

Banned
Is this the VN-making thread? sign me up

(I really wish Dysfunctional Systems didn't get cancelled; was one of the few western VNs I was checking out and showed potential)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom