• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megasoum

Banned
T3PA, with the conical brake mod it comes with. I thought about doing the basher mod but I don't like the way he changed how he does orders.

Ah Nice. Yeah I'm happy with my CSPs right now but I know they'll break at some point. Planning to get T3PA (pro or normal) once that happens.

hamchan

Nodame Cantabile was really good at hiding, or at least not making it a big deal that the main characters were having sex with each other halfway through the manga and it was only on reread that I noticed it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't think they were hiding it at all. Just wasn't making a big deal out of it.

Josei usually isn't all that shy about sex stuff, seeing that it's mostly adults in relationships. Plus women like reading about sex too.

Bowlie

Banned
While we're at it, Kono Oto Tomare is the most unique and charming music manga I've found in years, you should give it a try (and they play koto)

Antiwhippy

Well to bring this back on topic, didn't someone here make an imgur album of all the gaf Bombcast thread art? Anyone has a link to that?

Just finished watching the guy finishing Dan's level. That guy found a cheese shortcut that basically skips the entire sub-world. He still only had like 30 seconds left to finish the level but he was able to take it at a pretty leisurely pace and there were only a few tricky platforming parts (90% of that level just seems to about figuring out what to do). At the end of the video he shows what he skipped, I wonder if Dan knows about the skip and if he'll re-upload the course.

danm999

Just finished watching the guy finishing Dan's level. That guy found a cheese shortcut that basically skips the entire sub-world. He still only had like 30 seconds left to finish the level but he was able to take it at a pretty leisurely pace and there were only a few tricky platforming parts (90% of that level just seems to about figuring out what to do). At the end of the video he shows what he skipped, I wonder if Dan knows about the skip and if he'll re-upload the course.

Dan said in this very thread it took him 8 hours to beat it so I doubt it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Picture of Dan's room when he made the level:

Bill.0.jpg

I think I even missed the glitch in that video. Where is it?

Haunted

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but anyways: video of someone beating Dan's level.
Dan wanted to make a puzzle level within the rules that Patrick can't beat. He might have succeeded.

It's not a great level in terms of overall pacing, but there it is. (though there are some neat elements like the trampoline chimney and the "sealed" pipe)

I think the first Giantbomb level is still the best uploaded on the Ryckert account, the way that thing actually came together and provided several routes and surprising additional fuckery by pure accident was a thing to behold.

Meneses

Good point, plus it seems like real weird and specific skip... But damned if I know how anyone could beat that thing if they did it the intended way. May God have mercy on Patrick.

I'm sure Patrick will eventually get his convenient "flash of inspiration" and figure out what to do :)

Well, I guess from what people have been saying, even going to edit mode isn't much help, so I don't know.

hamchan

I'm sure Patrick will eventually get his convenient "flash of inspiration" and figure out what to do :)

Well, I guess from what people have been saying, even going to edit mode isn't much help, so I don't know.

It really doesn't help. This is the worst level Dan has ever made from a game design perspective, which means it's the best level to torment Patrick.

That Yakuza QL is making me think about getting it. Either way I'm definitely in for Zero, just debating on if I want to go back to the PS3 at this point.

I audibly went "Oh shit!" while laughing when Austin first stabs that guy. I don't know why but I didn't expect it at all and then it was so violent. That was a great moment.

Tubobutts

When I drink milk it's usually not during breakfast time.

But also I refuse to live by any arbitrary "certain foods can only be eaten at certain times" rules.

I drink Milk with breakfast if it's something sweet like waffles or pancakes, but if I'm eating something like eggs I'll usually just drink water. I hate Orange Juice.

chrixter

I think I even missed the glitch in that video. Where is it?
The cheese is at 7:20

Dan almost certainly didn't intend for anyone to be able to enter that pipe which is actually supposed to be a trap pipe that you can only exit, causing you to lose a lot of time and probably fail at completing the level.

It looks more complicated than it actually is. Most of the level's areas and pipes are gated by specific power-ups, so actually there are a very small number of possible paths available to you at the beginning, and you only gain like one or two new paths for every new power-up. I have a feeling Patrick will beat this, even if he never discovers the exploits.

Friends, what's that webpage that plays bombcasts/quicklooks randomly on loop? I just finished my 7th graveyard shift in a row and need to fix my sleep schedule for the weekend, so I'm gonna stay up and play video games and listen to the crew till this evening.

Antiwhippy

But the real test is how long it'll take for him to beat this.

Given enough time and perseverance anyone can beat anything, but the whole point is to take away a tiny bit of patrick's soul every minute.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Wow so Heart of Stone (the Witcher DLC) is on its own better than any other game released. Everything with Vlodomir is great. The endless flirtation with any woman he encounters is hilarious.

Witcher 3 GOTY no question shame on GB if it isnt

That Yakuza QL is making me think about getting it. Either way I'm definitely in for Zero, just debating on if I want to go back to the PS3 at this point.

I audibly went "Oh shit!" while laughing when Austin first stabs that guy. I don't know why but I didn't expect it at all and then it was so violent. That was a great moment.
Yakuza 5 is actually less violent than 3 and 4 were because it removed body damage for performance reasons I assume, it's back in 0. For example, in previous games if you slammed your foot on someone's face it would cave in a bit, nasty.

I would get Yakuza 4 first because 5 doesn't include any previously on videos like previous games and 2 of the protagonists were introduced in the last game and their story beats assume you know their stories.

Yakuza 5 is actually less violent than 3 and 4 were because it removed body damage for performance reasons I assume, it's back in 0. For example, in previous games if you slammed your foot on someone's face it would cave in a bit, nasty.

I would get Yakuza 4 first because 5 doesn't include any previously on videos like previous games and 2 of the protagonists were introduced in the last game and their story beats assume you know their stories.

Is there any kind of time frame on 0? I may end up just waiting for it.

Patryn

Wow so Heart of Stone (the Witcher DLC) is on its own better than any other game released. Everything with Vlodomir is great. The endless flirtation with any woman he encounters is hilarious.

Witcher 3 GOTY no question shame on GB if it isnt

There is literally zero chance that Witcher 3 will be GB's GOTY.

The question is whether it will make the list or not, and I'm really not sure the answer to that question. We've certainly debated it enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom