• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herbs

Banned
Haven't watched any Metal Gear Scanlon V yet... How is it? With the previous ones people were always so excited on here when a new one was coming out. But it's been almost a month without one and haven't seen many people complaining here... Is it worth watching?

Thanks! Been wanting to watch someone beat it!

Without the story beats it's a struggle.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
There is literally zero chance that Witcher 3 will be GB's GOTY.

The question is whether it will make the list or not, and I'm really not sure the answer to that question. We've certainly debated it enough.

more seriously mario maker has to be their goty. It isn't mine but any other suggestion just seems insane to me.

danm999

more seriously mario maker has to be their goty. It isn't mine but any other suggestion just seems insane to me.

You mean the game Jeff called the best Nintendo game since Ocarina of Time and Dan said gave him the strongest emotional reaction he's ever had playing a video game?

popo

I love how House of Cards does it and it seems like this video is kind of covering that style of going about it.

I am too far from the TV to clearly read those HoC bits. Sometimes I pause it and get in closer but usually I can't be bothered.

Better than when shows zoom in on a badly focused handwritten note though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
That moment of anticipation between the Yakuza 5 QL title card and the first voice.

great piece on Dr. Xavier Woods: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1158632

(he plays trombone? my man)

tumblr_ntn1tuYTFN1sbzhteo1_400.gif

Ah Nice. Yeah I'm happy with my CSPs right now but I know they'll break at some point. Planning to get T3PA (pro or normal) once that happens.

How's the alcantera rim? I had the leather one but I returned it because I found it a bit to hard and uncomfortable for my taste.

Helmets are the worst addition to SMM. I really can't stand them adding shit that wasn't part of those games. I also think the lady boot in SMB1 is garbage, too.

That shit gets under my skin in ways I cant describe. Maybe it's just me

Bladelaw

So I put on Patrick's stream of him attempting Double Header and after watching him fail early I thought "I bet I can finish this before him" sure enough, two hours later I got through. Thoughts in spoilers in case any one wants to attempt it blind like I did.

The beginning isn't too bad until the Chomp Bridge as Patrick called it. To get past it I waited a cycle and hit chomps 2 and 3. On three I didn't do a full jump so I didn't need the air stall Patrick used. The baby bowser part you can just run under. The POW blocks at the pipe are used to clear out the Thomp to get to the checkpoint.

This feels like where the "real" madness begins. The wiggler-->single ice block-->winged green koopa jump felt good but on repeat performances got boring and rote. The P-switch run was always satisfying since if you time the second jump right you can bounce off the red koopa right on to the homing Bill Launcher. Around here my gamepad consistently glitched so I switched to the TV to play. The Bullet Bill Bridge is a trick I've used in a couple levels so it wasn't much of a hindrance, but the spike crawlers guarding the p-switch over a level soft reset was evil the trick is to grab the switch and stay low. You can got from level 2 to 1 by just running so you don't get stick on the geometry.

The P-switch door jump screwed me up a lot until I tried just holding up instead of mashing. Then I could consistently get past it. The last little bit with the flying POW block felt a bit cheap since Bowser's fire is kind of random. You can trick the AI by staying high (jumping) which will keep him shooting up and over you instead of right at you. Once you get past Bowser you're home free.

When I finished it the level was at 0.37% complete with 36 clears over ~9400 attempts with 667 unique players.

Megasoum

Banned
How's the alcantera rim? I had the leather one but I returned it because I found it a bit to hard and uncomfortable for my taste.

It's soooooooo smooth lol. I love the bigger diameter too. It's also surprisingly cushiony... I mean, it's still hard but there's definitly padding under the leather.

Megasoum

Banned
So I assume those new SMM additions are not only available in the NSMB tileset?

Cause if so then Dan and Jeff's boneheaded mentality vis-à-vis the tileset means that they'll never use any of those.

Moldiver

To think Yakuza 5 came second in the choose your own adventure last week...disappointing. Don't think that will happen again though.

daydream

Banned
So I assume those new SMM additions are not only available in the NSMB tileset?

Cause if so then Dan and Jeff's boneheaded mentality vis-à-vis the tileset means that they'll never use any of those.

can't imagine they will be. stuff like the p-switch door was in smw, for example

Jintor

watching this yakuza ql is really weird after like a year and half wandering around osaka on weekends

/edit man i wanna play this. be on pc plz

Jintor

holy fuck these takedowns are brutal!

weirdly kinda makes me want to experiment with state of decay again. That game had a weirdly satisfying deliberate-feeling janky combat system

LiK

holy fuck these takedowns are brutal!

weirdly kinda makes me want to experiment with state of decay again. That game had a weirdly satisfying deliberate-feeling janky combat system

I cringe every time I rub their faces into the asphalt. what a bloody mess XD

If TW3 didn't suffer from severe pacing issues I would concur, it's GOTY. But so far, I find that I've enjoyed TW2 a bit more from both a narrative and pacing perspective.

I'm nearing 40 hours with TW3 and only just starting to do stuff in Skellige, which according to some folks puts me near halfway through the game as i'm starting to finish Act 1. That puts me at +15 hours more than what it took me to finish TW2 and that game felt like it was perfectly paced. Meh.

Wonder how much of the love TW3 is getting is partly due to it being most folks first Witcher game. I'm finding TW3 to be a little disappointing so far.

Sleeping Dogs could learn a thing or two with these brutal takedowns

Sleeping Dawgs is the best Yakuza game ever

Xater

If TW3 didn't suffer from severe pacing issues I would concur, it's GOTY. But so far, I find that I've enjoyed TW2 a bit more from both a narrative and pacing perspective.

I'm nearing 40 hours with TW3 and only just starting to do stuff in Skellige, which according to some folks puts me near halfway through the game as i'm starting to finish Act 1. That puts me at +15 hours more than what it took me to finish TW2 and that game felt like it was perfectly paced. Meh.

Wonder how much of the love TW3 is getting is partly due to it being most folks first Witcher game. I'm finding TW3 to be a little disappointing so far.

I played all of them. It didn't take me nearly as long as it did you. I did a lot of side stuff and finished the whole game in around 60 hours.

Jintor

i could really go for another sleepy dawgs.

GTA with kung fu really was an amazing concept i'm surprised nobody has copied more. Peeps like guns more i guess

tuxfool

Banned

Nope. I loved 1,2 and now 3.

2 was weakest story wise because it wasn't Witchery enough. I take the view that many do, in that the story of W3 is merely a string to take you between individual vignettes which have recurring or self contained threads within themselves. The main plot is overwhelmingly simple due to that, but I find it doesn't matter. The game brings more urgency to the main thread when it starts to matter more. Act 2 & 3 are mostly about the main story.

The one finisher in Manhunt where you stab the shit out of a dude's face with a shard of glass is one of the worst I can think of. Even after seeing it a few times it made my toes curl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom