• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought the stomp on the face was the worst.

Oddly the tailbone into the road barrier was what hit me the most in the QL. It wasn't as bad as what I expected, but somehow it made me cringe way more.

God dammit, fuck reddit. Fuck stupid people that just want to spoil shit for no god damned reason. Assholes.

Nope. I loved 1,2 and now 3.

2 was weakest story wise because it wasn't Witchery enough. I take the view that many do, in that the story of W3 is merely a string to take you between individual vignettes which have recurring or self contained threads within themselves. The main plot is overwhelmingly simple due to that, but I find it doesn't matter. The game brings more urgency to the main thread when it starts to matter more. Act 2 & 3 are mostly about the main story.

I thought there was a better sense of urgency in TW2 given the whole thing where youre being framed for assassinating kings. then there's the mystery as to who the supposed witcher who is doing these killings is and what his agenda might be. Add to that the well done political intrigue and a branching story that really had an impact on your playthrough and that puts TW2 in the top 5 games of the last gen for me.

TW3's act 1 is incredibly weak. The whole Dandelion section was me chasing after someone so that I can ask them about someone else that I'm chasing after. Maybe if they shorten that particular quest line I wouldn't feel like i was dragging my feet through most of the game.

I keep hearing it gets better after Act 1 but Act 1 sure makes me wish this was tightened up quite a bit.

God dammit, fuck reddit. Fuck stupid people that just want to spoil shit for no god damned reason. Assholes.

I'm staying off of facebook, twitter, instagram, and just about any thread here that is even remotely star wars related till i see the film. I'm hearing that folks are making new Steam accounts with spoilers in their usernames as well as creating new steam groups with spoilers as the group's name and spamming invites.

people are being fiercely fucked up with this shit.

I'm staying off of facebook, twitter, instagram, and just about any thread here that is even remotely star wars related till i see the film. I'm hearing that folks are making new Steam accounts with spoilers in their usernames as well as creating new steam groups with spoilers as the group's name and spamming invites.

people are being fiercely fucked up with this shit.

I thought top posts would be safe and would be hit by mods. Seeing shit in tags and edits in comments is all just fucked up and weird. People are being stupid.

tuxfool

Banned
I thought there was a better sense of urgency in TW2 given the whole thing where youre being framed for assassinating kings. then there's the mystery as to who the supposed witcher who is doing these killings is and what his agenda might be. Add to that the well done political intrigue and a branching story that really had an impact on your playthrough and that puts TW2 in the top 5 games of the last gen for me.

TW3's act 1 is incredibly weak. The whole Dandelion section was me chasing after someone so that I can ask them about someone else that I'm chasing after. Maybe if they shorten that particular quest line I wouldn't feel like i was dragging my feet through most of the game.

I keep hearing it gets better after Act 1 but Act 1 sure makes me wish this was tightened up quite a bit.

I don't care about the urgency of TW2. Its plot is way too political and of too large a magnitude, there was a lot less of you just being a witcher.

Honestly there are so many nice sidequests, the story really doesn't matter in Act 1, it is why it is so nebulous. That is why they did it this way. If you're the person that only cares about the main plot then this isn't the game for you.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nothing in that Yakuza QL was worse than repeatedly slamming a car door on a dude's head in Sleeping Dogs. That animation always made me feel ill.

Man I love Sleeping Dogs.

The animations where wei just slams dudes onto hooks like that scene in the texas chainsaw massacre were fucking brutal.

I don't care about the urgency of TW2. Its plot is way too political and of too large a magnitude, there was a lot less of you just being a witcher.

Honestly there are so many nice sidequests, the story really doesn't matter in Act 1. That is why they did it this way. If you're the person that only cares about the main plot then this isn't the game for you.

Dont get me wrong, I dont have 40 hours with TW3 because I don't like the game. I'm thoroughly enjoying the game in spite of the flaws the game has. And i'll see this thing to its end, i'm invested enough that i want to know what's going on. I'm just not feeling the pacing is all. As it stands, TW2 was a more enjoyable experience and I feel that if TW3 was paced in a similar, more brisk fashion that it would be the perfect witcher game for me.

There's only so many wild goose chases and detective vision magnifying glass spot the red clue quests that I can handle before i grow tired of that stuff.

Nothing in that Yakuza QL was worse than repeatedly slamming a car door on a dude's head in Sleeping Dogs. That animation always made me feel ill.

the phone booth beat down is also some intense shit. game didn't fuck around.

strafer

I recently finished Sleeping Dogs. It's a great game.

I hope there will be a Sleeping Dogs 2.

And I recognised all the asian actors by their voice which is cool.

popo

Time for any Chelski fans to unfollow Danny for a few days. The gloating could reach peak levels. It would be funnier if Wenger wasn't such a humourless sour puss.

I recently finished Sleeping Dogs. It's a great game.

I hope there will be a Sleeping Dogs 2.

And I recognised all the asian actors by their voice which is cool.

lol

LiK

How much continuity is there between Yakuza games?

all numbered mainline games are directly connected. even characters in some sidequests will return and continue their storylines. it's pretty impressive. like chapters in a book.

DamnBoxes

Time for any Chelski fans to unfollow Danny for a few days. The gloating could reach peak levels. It would be funnier if Wenger wasn't such a humourless sour puss.

lol

CWb6JQMUYAEeJNo.jpg:large

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Is that a popular term? "Chelski" would be Polish, should be "Chelskov".

tuxfool

Banned
Dont get me wrong, I dont have 40 hours with TW3 because I don't like the game. I'm thoroughly enjoying the game in spite of the flaws the game has. And i'll see this thing to its end, i'm invested enough that i want to know what's going on. I'm just not feeling the pacing is all. As it stands, TW2 was a more enjoyable experience and I feel that if TW3 was paced in a similar, more brisk fashion that it would be the perfect witcher game for me.

There's only so many wild goose chases and detective vision magnifying glass spot the red clue quests that I can handle before i grow tired of that stuff.

I understand, but for a lot of people the immediate stories in the first part of the game completely made up for it. However, if you're expecting any sort of complexity out of the main thread you're going to be disappointed. As I said, it is just a string tying a lot of different subplots together.

Demoskinos

How much continuity is there between Yakuza games?

Lets just say that the relationship's of characters are so complex the game gives you an actual relationship chart to show you in detail how interwoven all the characters are with each other who is related to who in what way ect.. ect...

They take their continuity very seriously.

I understand, but for a lot of people the immediate stories in the first part of the game completely made up for it. However, if you're expecting any sort of complexity out of the main thread you're going to be disappointed. As I said, it is just a string tying a lot of different subplots together.

well, i suppose it's good that i know that now so i can temper my expectations. Thanks!

Zaph

Lets just say that the relationship's of characters are so complex the game gives you an actual relationship chart to show you in detail how interwoven all the characters are with each other who is related to who in what way ect.. ect...

...does it share a universe with Xenoblade?

Patryn

Ironically, this is what is going to put me off trying the game. I feel like I've already missed too much to jump on now.

Also, I just know that I'm about to have a very deep-seated desire to replay KOTOR and possibly KOTOR 2.

SomberOwl

GBeast should check up on that free-to-play game in the Sleeping Dogs world.

For real though if any game deserves a proper sequel it's Sleeping Dogs!

killroy87

It's so weird seeing Patrick on his streams do the whole Twitch thing of like being overly animated, thanking everyone for subscribing, talking about custom emotes.

I don't necessarily begrudge him it, if the opportunity presents itself then go for it. It's just a bit surreal and awkward to watch.

GBeast should check up on that free-to-play game in the Sleeping Dogs world.

For real though if any game deserves a proper sequel it's Sleeping Dogs!

Steam numbers:

Sleeping Dawgs
Owners: 1,530,438 ± 29,548

Def Edition
Owners: 301,215 ± 13,139

The Sleeping Dawgs number is somewhat inflated by the fact that it was included in a Humble Bundle a while back buttttttt that's nearly two million copies of the game moved on PC alone. That's gotta count for something, right?

It's so weird seeing Patrick on his streams do the whole Twitch thing of like being overly animated, thanking everyone for subscribing, talking about custom emotes.

I don't necessarily begrudge him it, if the opportunity presents itself then go for it. It's just a bit surreal and awkward to watch.

It's weird because it's not your introduction to Patrick Klepek on camera.

This is more familiar:
2578723-patrick_dog.gif

tchocky

Patrick has always been very animated he was like that on Spookin and while playing things like Cat Mario at GB.

SomberOwl

Steam numbers:

Sleeping Dawgs
Owners: 1,530,438 ± 29,548

Def Edition
Owners: 301,215 ± 13,139

The Sleeping Dawgs number is somewhat inflated by the fact that it was included in a Humble Bundle a while back buttttttt that's nearly two million copies of the game moved on PC alone. That's gotta count for something, right?

Yeah it counts for a F2P game. Triad Wars

Hopefully though, in time we get a proper sequel.

Demoskinos

Ironically, this is what is going to put me off trying the game. I feel like I've already missed too much to jump on now.

Also, I just know that I'm about to have a very deep-seated desire to replay KOTOR and possibly KOTOR 2.

Don't be mate. One thing the Yakuza games also do is give very solid recaps. Each mainline game has synopsis for the previous games and really well done ones too. I never started playing until Yakuza 3. So I've only really played two of the mainline games don't feel overwhelmed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom