• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

popo

Steam numbers:

Sleeping Dawgs
Owners: 1,530,438 ± 29,548

Def Edition
Owners: 301,215 ± 13,139

The Sleeping Dawgs number is somewhat inflated by the fact that it was included in a Humble Bundle a while back buttttttt that's nearly two million copies of the game moved on PC alone. That's gotta count for something, right?

If was selling for $10 on steam well before any humble bundle. If it were an indie game then it would be okay but it isn't. Remember Tomb Raider "underperformed" selling 6 million units.

Patryn

Ouch.

Listening to Danny on NPR, and he's supposed to talk about the year in video games, and the host keeps hammering home the idea of mature games and is all gaming just about shooting people and blood.

I get the sense the guests want to talk about other stuff and not get hung up on the violence debate.

If was selling for $10 on steam well before any humble bundle. If it were an indie game then it would be okay but it isn't. Remember Tomb Raider "underperformed" selling 6 million units.

well it wasn't as if SD cost Square Enix a whole lot since most of its development was paid by Activision back when it was a True Crime game. I can't imagine this was a costly venture for SE unless Activision crushed the shit out of them in that deal

Ouch.

Listening to Danny on NPR, and he's supposed to talk about the year in video games, and the host keeps hammering home the idea of mature games and is all gaming just about shooting people and blood.

I get the sense the guests want to talk about other stuff and not get hung up on the violence debate.
Is it 2004 again?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I guess Dan fixed the exploit in his new level https://twitter.com/DanRyckert/status/677514855251763200

Bonus reply from Vinny https://twitter.com/VinnyCaravella/status/677515292365463552

Que debate over whether re-uploading his levels after the public finds exploits is cheating.

He already said he wouldn't, so if it's not cheating, it is verifiable proof that Dan is a coward and afraid of a fair fight. Dan's not Apollo or Drago, he's barely even Cousin Paulie.

tchocky

Ouch.

Poor Danny he was really looking forward to it on twitter.

conweller

Neo Member
At this point it's not Dan vs. Patrick.

It's Dan v- oh wait I made a mistake, don't start yet. Dan vs- oh someone pointed out something I missed, one second. Dan vs. Patr- Okay last time I swear, someone just taught me how this video game works.

Scoops for life!

BearPawB

Banned
At this point it's not Dan vs. Patrick.

It's Dan v- oh wait I made a mistake, don't start yet. Dan vs- oh someone pointed out something I missed, one second. Dan vs. Patr- Okay last time I swear, someone just taught me how this video game works.

Scoops for life!

Patrick has had plenty of opportunity to start.

tuxfool

Banned
smh. The dude on that npr show talking about FO4 and referencing to Ken Levine's narrative Lego. Lots of meaningful choices in FO4 amirite?

Daheza

I am curious how you all feel about the quick looks being just recorded and not streamed live.

To me it feels like they are leaving out a huge part of interaction with the audience. While watching quick looks with complicated mechanics it is often disheartening to see one of the dudes state they don't know how to do something. This could be solved by streaming the quick looks and interacting with the chat. I understand that they can't know everything about a game but they are leaving a lot on the table if they don't interact with the chat.

It makes sense to make them just as recording if you are attempting to show the games in a complete review capacity. Most people don't have a chat of 1000 people helping them understand the game mechanics.

Has the crew ever made a comment on a reason why they do not stream the quicklooks?

SomberOwl

With all the non-game related stories GameSpot is running lately and their new Entertainment section it almost seems like they will have a brand change at some point. They really are becoming IGN like people have joked about in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped "game" from their branding at some point.

Yay Rocket League! http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1158743

I hope it makes it on the GB GOTY 2015 top-ten list.

With all the non-game related stories GameSpot is running lately and their new Entertainment section it almost seems like they will have a brand change at some point. They really are becoming IGN like people have joked about in the past. I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped "game" from their branding at some point.

For the longest time, we joked about Giant Bomb and GameSpot merging. Never once did we think that Comic Vine and GameSpot would merge. Huh.

Has the crew ever made a comment on a reason why they do not stream the quicklooks?

two reasons:

- so they can have embargoed games QLs ready for release
- so they can release them at a regular pace and not have to schedule their days around specific windows

Yay Rocket League! http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1158743

I hope it makes it on the GB GOTY 2015 top-ten list.

aww that makes me happy. what a cool game by some cool folks. they earned it

Has anyone ever Giant Bombed and Chilled?

10 minutes into Giant Bomb and chill and he gives you this look.

2536316-fbfb41d.gif

Strax

I am curious how you all feel about the quick looks being just recorded and not streamed live.

To me it feels like they are leaving out a huge part of interaction with the audience. While watching quick looks with complicated mechanics it is often disheartening to see one of the dudes state they don't know how to do something. This could be solved by streaming the quick looks and interacting with the chat. I understand that they can't know everything about a game but they are leaving a lot on the table if they don't interact with the chat.

It makes sense to make them just as recording if you are attempting to show the games in a complete review capacity. Most people don't have a chat of 1000 people helping them understand the game mechanics.

They sometimes do live quick looks. I just want their input on the game. I don't want Dan reading chat and saying "Brad, the chat says go to the third door on your left when you enter the mansion" or "The chat wants to see another mission type"

I understand GBwest is busy with settling into the new floor and all, but I am STARVING for new content >_< Hasn't even been much output from GBeast this week.

I've never really cared about their reviews, by time the review goes up I've usually heard enough of their impressions on the bombcast.

Yeah...not to mention unless it's forum discussion like here...reading about a video game has never done it for me. I learn a lot more by seeing and hearing about a game than I ever do by reading about it. Reviews in the fashion GB continues to do them sometimes just seem like some weird habit they have from their previous days of working at GS and the like.

Yeah...not to mention unless it's forum discussion like here...reading about a video game has never done it for me. I learn a lot more by seeing and hearing about a game than I ever do by reading about it. Reviews in the fashion GB continues to do them sometimes just seem like some weird habit they have from their previous days of working at GS and the like.

I think they've said they pretty much just do them to stay on metacritic, otherwise they wouldn't be sent games.

I think they've said they pretty much just do them to stay on metacritic, otherwise they wouldn't be sent games.

I don't know about that, but Brad and Jeff both seem to actually enjoy getting their thoughts out there in that format, based off of the way they've talked about it in the past.

Chuck

Still without luck
who else thinks it's weird gb does "game of the year" content yet doesn't call their top award game of the year >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom