• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

I was at the perfect teen-age to get caught up in the hype cycle around The Phantom Menace, so while I can understand how a new generation of kids/teens get excited when they are told that a new Star Wars is the biggest deal ever, I generally feel pretty detached from this one.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Stealing wheelbarrows is high up on the list for me.

"You're a shit cop, you know that, right?"

edit: FUCK yes Karl Weathers, NIck Offerman was so good in that role. "The jackboots are upon us!" "Out of my way, tool of the state!"

Damn, there's also the episode with Dodd being fucking hilarious and that whole exchange is just so hilariously dark. This season was just too damn good. A little underwhelming season finale with some parts I didn't like, but the season as a whole was amazing.

Heimbeck

Banned
Damn, there's also the episode with Dodd being fucking hilarious and that whole exchange is just so hilariously dark. This season was just too damn good. A little underwhelming season finale with some parts I didn't like, but the season as a whole was amazing.

Seems like you could use some beans.

Seems like you could use some beans.

tumblr_nynrdnoQL01smql53o1_500.gif

Strax

Shit man, I need to watch season 2 of Fargo, I loved season 1 and feel bad for not watching this latest season as it's aired.

I loved the first season so I rewatched it with my girlfriend that took like 3 months. I've not seen season 2 because she wants to watch it with me. Its gonna be another 3 months.

:(

I was at the perfect teen-age to get caught up in the hype cycle around The Phantom Menace, so while I can understand how a new generation of kids/teens get excited when they are told that a new Star Wars is the biggest deal ever, I generally feel pretty detached from this one.

I was 11 when Phantom Menace came out and seen the old ones countless of times. Like everything back then Iceland was 3 months behind on showing it in theaters. A week before it started showing here I saw a ad in a newspaper. They released the movie on VHS the same day it came to theaters in Iceland. So I bought the VHS. Its a legit copy from a legit store. I have no idea why they did this here.

Lunar FC

Hmm. Im thinking you might be goofy looking fella down by the lake..

Bowlie

Banned
Maybe it's because it's fresh in my mind, but I think S2 has way more interesting characters, and it has more of them.

Episode 9 is bliss

Viewed as a whole, I think season two is absolutely better. The storyline was tighter and more coherent with the perfect amount of Coen-esque touches -- season one was immensely enjoyable but it had some pacing issues and plotlines that didn't quite pay off. I had some issues with the S2 finale but mostly just minor superfluous stuff that wasn't super-relevant to the main story. Season 3 in Spring 2017 feels like an eternity from now.

I knew hardly anything about Mr. Robot except that people said it was really good and for some reason I swore it was about androids or something. Maybe because it's called Mr. Robot idk. Anyways I started watching and the whole time I was waiting for this crazy sci-fi Matrix-esque reveal and it was real confusing when it didn't happen.

Catvoca

Banned
Still haven't watched True Detective S2. Looking back, is it as bad as people made it out to be?

I really don't think so, i enjoyed it the whole way through, and binge watching it would certainly improve the experience as it was pretty slow at times. It's a different thing then the first season, and it has some problems, but as a weird noir thriller I liked it a lot.

Bowlie

Banned
Still haven't watched True Detective S2. Looking back, is it as bad as people made it out to be?

It's a different thing, for sure. It's still dark, but it lost the satanic theme, giving way to other themes more common in your usual cop show. Maybe don't expect it to be like S1; I did that and it bothered me.

And if you thought S1 had obtuse dialogue, boy get ready for some more.

I knew hardly anything about Mr. Robot except that people said it was really good and for some reason I swore it was about androids or something. Maybe because it's called Mr. Robot idk. Anyways I started watching and the whole time I was waiting for this crazy sci-fi Matrix-esque reveal and it was real confusing when it didn't happen.

lol I had the exact same thing happen to me, before watching I was sure that I had heard about some kind of twist where a character turned out to be an android so I kept waiting for those plot elements to start creeping their way in. I really enjoyed what it turned out to be.

What do you expect when you go from Matthew McConaughey to fucking Colin Farrell

and don't even 'yeah but in bruges!...'

It was kind of to be expected. People loved rust, cohle, and the setting. So when you change everything, I don't think there's any way to top what you did in season 1.

Of course it's not realistic for them to continue what they did in Season 1. But that kind of just means season 2 was doomed from the start.

Catvoca

Banned
I absolutely loved season 1 of true detective but season 2 lost me after a few episodes. I just didn't think it was as interesting.

The back half got a lot better, but I totally see where you're coming from. I have no problem with people not liking S2, I'd say it's a pretty acquired taste, but the hate the show got this year was pretty uncalled for IMO. I never get why people get off on watching a show and complaining about it. It was painful trying to talk about it online as a fan during when Season 2 was airing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom