• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catvoca

Banned
What do you expect when you go from Matthew McConaughey to fucking Colin Farrell

and don't even 'yeah but in bruges!...'
Colin Farell is a good actor though. Much like Mathew McConaughey, he is a good actor who was in a lot of bad movies. Unlike MM, his career isn't gonna have some huge revival thanks to True Detective, but I don't think Colin Farell really needs it.

Plus he was the best thing about Season 2, he killed it week after week.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
It was kind of to be expected. People loved rust, cohle, and the setting. So when you change everything, I don't think there's any way to top what you did in season 1.

Of course it's not realistic for them to continue what they did in Season 1. But that kind of just means season 2 was doomed from the start.

I haven't seen season 2, but by all accounts it's just not as well-written or directed. I mean, sure some people would be disappointed by that anyway, given that it's an anthology show, but the things critics dinged it for was just that it was worse, not that it was different. Season 1 seemed like a fluke, honestly. Losing the director certainly didn't help, that was a huge get. The writing was elevated by a brilliant turn from McConnaughey in particular, as well. In lesser hands that could've backfired tremendously. A perfect storm, never to be repeated, I think.

Bowlie

Banned
What do you expect when you go from Matthew McConaughey to fucking Colin Farrell

and don't even 'yeah but in bruges!...'

To be fair I think Colin Farrell did well, and McConaughey was for me, at the time, "that actor in those dumb romance movies", so Farrell could be as great. Even Vince Vaughn surprised me. They just weren't likable characters.

What hurt me the most was the ending, though. It did not have to go that path at all.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Guys I saw The Star Wars. I'm free now.
Did you know that
there are many stars in the movie, but only one war? True story.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Myggen Member.
Haha I was just talking to some friends about that over the weekend. How is it now? I watched so much of it growing up. What ever happened to John Lithgow?

He was the last watchable part about Dexter, four years before the series finally ended. Not sure about what he's done aside from that but he was great in Dexter S4.

Don't know if anyone cares, but I was listening to this week's PlayStation Blogcast and they said that next week as a PS2 Classic, Fantavision is coming to PS4.

Curufinwe

Colin Farell is a good actor though. Much like Mathew McConaughey, he is a good actor who was in a lot of bad movies. Unlike MM, his career isn't gonna have some huge revival thanks to True Detective, but I don't think Colin Farell really needs it.

Farrell was great, and had nothing to do with why season 2 wasn't as good as season 1.

He was the last watchable part about Dexter, four years before the series finally ended. Not sure about what he's done aside from that but he was great in Dexter S4.

Yeah, that was the last good season of that show and he was a big reason why. Got a few episodes into season five and I just had to stop. And from the sound of it, it only became worse from there.

Colin Farell will probably get an influx of new fans next year. He's one of the stars of the Harry Potter spin-off series Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, which is the first of a trilogy.

heck, even Vince friggin' Vaughan wasn't bad in season 2. I liked S2 more than most but it had a lot of issues with storytelling and pacing and so on.

I mean this is all you need to know about Vince Vaughn in season 2.

Never-do-anything-out-of-hunger%252C-not-even-eating..jpg

Myggen Member.
Haha I was just talking to some friends about that over the weekend. How is it now? I watched so much of it growing up. What ever happened to John Lithgow?

It's still pretty damn funny and holds up pretty well. Watching it on netflix made me realize all the episode titles are Dick jokes.

AcridMeat

Banned
I completely forgot about True Detective S2.
It's still pretty damn funny and holds up pretty well. Watching it on netflix made me realize all the episode titles are Dick jokes.
Of course they are hahaha. Also prime Kristen Johnston and baby Justin Gordon-Levitt would be a great time warp.

danm999

Guys I saw The Star Wars. I'm free now.
Did you know that
there are many stars in the movie, but only one war? True story.

Fuuuuuu.

Yeah I'm surprisingly glad I saw this Wednesday night Australian time before 99% of the world because the internet right now is full of dicks trying to spoil me and I get to be all

images

All this movie and TV talk. I thought I was in the GameSpot thread by mistake.
I just don't understand who would ever go to Polygon or Gamespot for entertainment coverage over the hundreds of dedicated pop culture sites with better and more experienced writers. Is the games media popularity drying up or is a trying to capture even more traffic?

I've not really followed the reactions to TD S2 but what I've gathered is that it's not that great?
It has some interesting bits but the whole thing is so oppressively dour and confusing. I watched it all and mostly enjoyed it but it's not close to being on the same level as season 1.

Catvoca

Banned
I just don't understand who would ever go to Polygon or Gamespot for entertainment coverage over the hundreds of dedicated pop culture sites with better and more experienced writers. Is the games media popularity drying up or is a trying to capture even more traffic?

I think it's just trying to get all that Game of Thrones/Walking Dead/ Star wars clicks mainly. I agree with you, if I want to read about tv I'll go to the av club, I'm not going to go to IGN. Same goes for movies, music etc.

Personally I don't see the value of reading reviews of TV shows I am already watching.

I'm also watching far less TV than I was a couple years ago.

danm999

I think the idea is that you'll buy in to the specific writers and personalities and want to hear their thoughts on things outside video games. Giant Bomb does a little of this obviously, but given Giant Bomb is so personality driven, and that their flagship piece of content the Bombcast is renowned for going off topic, they seem to be in a unique spot to make it work.

Haunted

All this movie and TV talk. I thought I was in the GameSpot thread by mistake.
brutal

GB basically poaching GS' strongest talent (O'Dwyer, Kish) for a lot of their shows without paying a cent might've been Jeff's smartest move since the acquisition.

popo

I just don't understand who would ever go to Polygon or Gamespot for entertainment coverage over the hundreds of dedicated pop culture sites with better and more experienced writers. Is the games media popularity drying up or is a trying to capture even more traffic

Casual browser googles "Call of Duty review". GameSpot comes close to the top of results due to search engine optimisation. Browser clicks through and reads review - or scrolls down to see the score at least. Is about to leave but sees Star Wars review in the side bar. Click. Sees promo slot advertising " 10 Best Pairs of Tits on Game of Thrones". Click.

Catvoca

Banned
Personally I don't see the value of reading reviews of TV shows I am already watching.

I'm also watching far less TV than I was a couple years ago.

Sometimes there's really good reviews of TV shows that shed light on things that I was missing or themes that I hadn't thought about. Like Alan Sepinwall's The Wire episode reviews definitely helped me understand the show better and come to love it more, as did Todd Vanderwerff's episode reviews of The Sopranos.

daydream

Banned
so what dictates what mario can spin jump on and what he can't

like he can spin jump on spiky enemies

but not those scissor things

why

so there's something you can't overcome with the spin jump

it's called game design

they streamlined some stuff for smm, though. you could spin jump on the saw blades in smw, for example, while you can't in smm

so there's something you can't overcome with the spin jump

it's called game design

they streamlined some stuff for smm, though. you could spin jump on the saw blades in smw, for example, while you can't in smm

wow what arbitrary restrictions

no way this games going to win goty with that sort of nonsense

Megasoum

Banned
Speaking of TV... You guys should totally check out "Wayward Pines". First season ended recently. I watched the second episode yesterday and it's really great.

One big mindfuck and a great cast.

popo

brutal

GB basically poaching GS' strongest talent (O'Dwyer, Kish) for a lot of their shows without paying a cent might've been Jeff's smartest move since the acquisition.

I doubt Jeff had much to do with it, other than being friendly with Danny before he moved countries. Danny just saw the cool older kids smoking behind the bike sheds and started hanging around them. Mary wants to move from behind to in front of camera so will use any opertunity offered.

Speaking of TV... You guys should totally check out "Wayward Pines". First season ended recently. I watched the second episode yesterday and it's really great.

One big mindfuck and a great cast.

I may be wrong, but I think it was just renewed within the past week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom