• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
All that precious GOTY content sitting on Bradley's Mac, while we're all here scavenging like animals for stuff to watch. SHOW SOME GOD DAMN SYMPATHY YOU MONSTERS!

Catvoca

Banned
The positive thing about this drought is it will end with the GOTY content, which is the best stuff they do every year. I don't mind not having videos to watch now when I've got 18hours of podcasts to look forward to!

The positive thing about this drought is it will end with the GOTY content, which is the best stuff they do every year. I don't mind not having videos to watch now when I've got 18hours of podcasts to look forward to!

I'm of the train of thought that if there is 18 hours worth of podcast there shouldn't be a drought at all.

Catvoca

Banned
I'm of the train of thought that if there is 18 hours worth of podcast there shouldn't be a drought at all.

They obviously can't put the podcasts out until their game of the year videos are done though

http://jeff.zone/post/135402956136/can-you-make-sure-giant-bomb-doesnt-become-a-nerd

People have been requesting a music podcast? Huh, that'd be nice. Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't even know what kind of music they listen to, except for Jeff due to his mixlrs.

Don't you know Dan listens to cool guy music, where dudes sing about drinking, fighting and women?

Myggen

I prefer to get it in a week and not over a longer period. Might be because it's tradition at this point. More hype to get it all over a shorter period than having 2-3 weeks of GOTY, I'm willing to have the yearly drought if that's the cost.

Heimbeck

Banned
Brad should leak 5 minutes of his filibuster for Destiny and Dota 2.

If anyone is going to leak it, it will be Alex.
In a last ditch effort to get it off the list, he will leak Destiny being GOTY and the uproar will mean it will have to be rerecorded with Devil's Third winning.

http://jeff.zone/post/135402956136/can-you-make-sure-giant-bomb-doesnt-become-a-nerd

People have been requesting a music podcast? Huh, that'd be nice. Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't even know what kind of music they listen to, except for Jeff due to his mixlrs.

I'd definitely listen to a music podcast if they could get Jeff, Rorie, Alex, and Austin together to do one. I feel like those guys would be most passionate and able to really go into their likes. Jeff and Austin bouncing off each other, especially, since they seem to have somewhat similar tastes.

Music podcast
Lang
Jeff
Austin

shit that's good too

Bowlie

Banned
Don't you know Dan listens to cool guy music, where dudes sing about drinking, fighting and women?

Now you made me remember that rock opera game he and Drew QL'd.

Infuse! Infuse!

edit: yeah, from what we've seen, there's a good synergy between Jeff and Austin when it comes to music

That's a lot of shitty mario levels.

It didn't really get to me until I had to start doing Expert challenges. It made me realize just how much of a mistake it was to lock out content based on editor use. About 80% of the levels are either Super Mario Bros or New Super Mario Bros styled, which is a pretty good way of getting absolutely sick of those styles.

You'd still get the occasional gem, though. Some dude recreated the entirety of Revenge of Meta Knight, and I'm like one of 50 people to have seen that thanks to the 100 Mario Challenge.

Now you made me remember that rock opera game he and Drew QL'd.

Infuse! Infuse!

I think putting Dan on a music podcast would be a surefire way to prevent me from listening to it. I love the guy but he's got terrible music opinions and I even like some of the stuff he does

Myggen

People have at least been requesting a hip hop podcast from Jeff for a few years. Might make sense to broaden the scope a bit.

While we are posting Jeff tumblr responces.

http://jeff.zone/post/135403664836/i-know-youre-not-watching-wrestling-these-days

No Powerbombcast until Post Royal Rumble because no one gives a shit right now. Maybe dont expect a lot of Power Bombcast in the future depending on the direction WWE goes after that.

A shame they're falling out of it. RAW has been abysmal the last few weeks, but enough stuff has happened between TLC/RAW/NXT Takeover this week that they could have done something. I guess Alex is really the only person keeping up with anything.

Volotaire

It didn't really get to me until I had to start doing Expert challenges. It made me realize just how much of a mistake it was to lock out content based on editor use. About 80% of the levels are either Super Mario Bros or New Super Mario Bros styled, which is a pretty good way of getting absolutely sick of those styles.

You'd still get the occasional gem, though. Some dude recreated the entirety of Revenge of Meta Knight, and I'm like one of 50 people to have seen that thanks to the 100 Mario Challenge.

I really want to play good 'designed Nintendo like levels' and there's a small amount of them on Mario Maker. Hopefully the new search functionality makes it a bit easier to find such levels. The levels I'm designing and have designed thus far have largely been based on traditional Mario levels, without an insane difficulty curve, gimmicks or unique spins.

I haven't really checked out the GAF OT yet, so hopefully there are some great levels like the above.

What? They had current WWE World Heavyweight Champion Roman Reigns on the Power Bombcast. You can't get more magical than that.

giphy.gif

Either I completely forgot about that, or that must've been before I started listening to it.

daydream

Banned
I really want to play good 'designed Nintendo like levels' and there's a small amount of them on Mario Maker. Hopefully the new search functionality makes it a bit easier to find such levels. The levels I'm designing and have designed thus far have largely been based on traditional Mario levels, without an insane difficulty curve, gimmicks or unique spins.

I haven't really checked out the GAF OT yet, so hopefully there are some great levels like the above.

check out the community showcase in the op or, well, any of the level codes posted in there, really. don't forget to follow the creators, too. average level of quality is pretty damn decent so you're gonna find good stuff really quickly

also don't forget nintendo's own levels in the creators' section

well, if you need some incredible levels

you know

holler at your boy

Brashnir

I think I got through 5 or 6 100 Mario Challenges before I said "fuck this," so I admire your dedication.

Volotaire

check out the community showcase in the op or, well, any of the level codes posted in there, really. don't forget to follow the creators, too. average level of quality is pretty damn decent so you're gonna find good stuff really quickly

also don't forget nintendo's own levels in the creators' section

Thanks, will do. I've only owned the game for a few weeks but I'm addicted to fine tuning my levels.

daydream

Banned
the problem of shitty levels is greatly exaggerated

obviously there are a lot of bad ones out there but also a lot of quality ones, from more traditional platforming romps to extremely creative concepts

and it's really not hard to find the good stuff and lots of it

Brashnir

obviously there are a lot of bad ones out there but also a lot of quality ones

Disagree completely. It's a pain in the ass to find decent stuff, far more than is warranted when I can just load up a different game that is all decent stuff and doesn't make me scour the internet outside the game to get it.

A monthly podcast about Lucha Underground would be good. They could actually discuss things like storylines.

I just got a "copy" of Lucha Underground and plan on giving that a watch during my Winter Break. I've only heard good things about it and I wanna try to catch up before S2.

daydream

Banned
I played through thirty-three Expert 100 Mario Challenges.

The problem isn't exaggerated.

those aren't curated so of course they're a mixed bag

Disagree completely. It's a pain in the ass to find decent stuff, far more than is warranted when I can just load up a different game that is all decent stuff and doesn't make me scour the internet outside the game to get it.

you need to use the follow function more then. if i want decent levels, i don't even need to put in a code from the gaf thread, i just check out what the people i follow have put out

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

obviously there are a lot of bad ones out there but also a lot of quality ones, from more traditional platforming romps to extremely creative concepts

People want "Nintendo style" Mario levels, 90% of which for the past decade have been just half a step above auto play levels but with the illusion of player input.

It is unfortunate that we will not get a new Powerbombcast before 2016. I wanted to hear Alex and Austin discuss TakeOver: London and the wisdom of your group's popular primary champion who dresses up as a demon dressing up as Jack the Ripper.

But, 2016 heralds the return of Lucha Underground and the Royal Rumble, and that should give the show some material.

Brashnir

those aren't curated so of course they're a mixed bag

you need to use the follow function more then. if i want decent levels, i don't even need to put in a code from the gaf thread, i just check out what the people i follow have put out

You have to wade through a ton of shit to find people worth following, and even if you go that route, you still get a disjointed experience with no flow between levels.

Again, it's a far worse situation than just loading up a different, better game.

giphy.gif

Either I completely forgot about that, or that must've been before I started listening to it.

It was right back when Roman was going to return from injury. I had not yet gotten back into watching wrestling at that poirnt (started up during the Rumble this year), so I knew little to nothing about him. Didn't seem like a bad dude, seemed pretty honest and straightforward.

daydream

Banned
yeah, the levels need curation

now take a look at the curation that the game offers

hey man, you're the one doing the 100 mario challenges

You have to wade through a ton of shit to find people worth following, and even if you go that route, you still get a disjointed experience with no flow between levels.

Again, it's a far worse situation than just loading up a different, better game.

well, if you're not into the platforming to begin with, then i can't really do much to convince you

a way to stock up on stages to play back-to-back would be nice, though, no argument there

It was right back when Roman was going to return from injury. I had not yet gotten back into watching wrestling at that poirnt (started up during the Rumble this year), so I knew little to nothing about him. Didn't seem like a bad dude, seemed pretty honest and straightforward.

I'm just joking around. Roman is a great guy who had the unfortunate role of being the worst booked wrestler on WWE. Hoping this title reign goes well for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom