• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaina

Looks like Patrick 'Figured it out off stream' Klepeck got past the hidden block segment of Dan's latest level.

I think the only way to beat him is just make the hardest pure skill based platforming level, as (one way or another..) he'll figure out any puzzles or tricks that are in a level.

Luckily, the platforming execution is harder in this level than the puzzles.

Remember how much Dan struggled with the platforming in the hidden box/spike room where as Patrick got all but one of the blocks on his first attempt and only died because he attempted/almost made a difficult jump Dan didn't see due to not finding that one block.

If it's just straight platforming then Tricky has Dan beat. Dan choked so hard on platforming when it came to his last upload run. Dan thinking he's better than Patrick at platforming is the same Dunning-Kruger effect that makes him think he can wrestle a wolf.

Zabant

Remember how much Dan struggled with the platforming in the hidden box/spike room where as Patrick got all but one of the blocks on his first attempt and only died because he attempted/almost made a difficult jump Dan didn't see due to not finding that one block.

If it's just straight platforming then Tricky has Dan beat. Dan choked so hard on platforming when it came to his last upload run. Dan thinking he's better than Patrick at platforming is the same Dunning-Kruger effect that makes him think he can wrestle a wolf.

I have watched every second of Patrick's Mario Maker streams and he constantly dies in dumb dumb ways, in the latest for example he managed to die to the starting Koopa and Goomba 3 times..

Pat's isn't as good as Dan when it comes to the pure skill required in perfect platforming. Pat's advantage is he doesn't go on tilt as much as Dan does and tries different techniques.

In a one-on-one live tournament type competition it'd be a toss up as I think as Dan gets super taught and lets the pressure get to him. (Just check out how tense and anxious he was during the upload runs, dude actually got out of breath)

In a day long 'who can finish this first' type of contest where they're both at home left to their own devices, Dan would win hands down I think.

tchocky

I have watched every second of Patrick's Mario Maker streams and he constantly dies in dumb dumb ways, in the latest for example he managed to die to the starting Koopa and Goomba 3 times..

Pat's isn't as good as Dan when it comes to the pure skill required in perfect platforming. Pat's advantage is he doesn't go on tilt as much as Dan does and tries different techniques.

In a one-on-one live tournament type competition it'd be a toss up as I think as Dan gets super taught and lets the pressure get to him. (Just check out how tense and anxious he was during the upload runs, dude actually got out of breath)

In a day long 'who can finish this first' type of contest where they're both at home left to their own devices, Dan would win hands down I think.

It is hard to say who is better since the only really difficult levels we have seen Dan play are the ones he designed and has practised each section in the editor and knows all the tricks. The only other hard stage I recall him and Patrick both playing is the one by the spelunky creator and Dan only did the beginning.

repeater

CTtxhtWUkAAphur.jpg

guess they've hit it big
What's the context for this? What's Miracle Mile Shops? Why are their Twitter accounts up there?

EDIT: Just saw the news about Paris. That's horrible. :(

Patryn

Looks like Patrick 'Figured it out off stream' Klepeck got past the hidden block segment of Dan's latest level.

I think the only way to beat him is just make the hardest pure skill based platforming level, as (one way or another..) he'll figure out any puzzles or tricks that are in a level.

The hidden block wasn't supposed to be a big puzzle.

Patrick is still a LONG ways away from beating it.

Anjin M

If anyone reading this thread's in Paris, stay safe :(

(On an entirely unrelated note, Mary is a bridge building master)

I wish I could watch the stream from work. I need something to get my mind off of things.

edit://
the last halo recap on the beastcast is amazing

I thought about sending something in, but I'm glad I didn't. I wouldn't have done anything nearly as good as they played.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
This is a good layout with the 3ds on screen

Oddly enough the entries for youkai and yokai are slightly different.

for some dumb reason, a lot of the time wikipedia doesn't use Hepburn romanization, which is a pain in the ass for people who have english keyboards. the top result for "youkai" is from the Touhou wikia which is actually kind of hilarious.

also, thank you Rorie for actually engaging with this and asking questions, probably the only thing keeping me from falling asleep watching this.

e: I guess technically it's still Hepburn, just with special characters, which again, kind of defeats the purpose of trying to use the latin alphabet

popo

The concept of it being legal to allow citizens to safely cross the road on the their own initiative is really blowing Brad's mind.

The fact that jaywalking is illegal is hilariously stupid.

jay walking is illegal in most countries - if you define it as crossing the road while being a danger to yourself or others. The difference is that american cops define it as not using the crossing even if it is totally safe. You could get a ticket for crossing the street with no cars on the road for miles in either direction.

It wouldn't work in cities that were not built as blocks. Some cities you would have to walk miles in the opposite direction just to find a designated crossing.

haha it's not like it's hard to look up what youkai are jeez

I mean they are japanese ghosts or spirits but people really in to anime and Japan on GAF will shout at you and tell you how this is wrong but not explain what they really are because unless you grew up in that culture - who the fuck knows.

repeater

Jim Sterling should have sent in a retelling of the Halo story, he's on record as being extremely knowledgeable when it comes to that subject

I mean they are japanese ghosts or spirits but people really in to anime and Japan on GAF will shout at you and tell you how this is wrong but not explain what they really are because unless you grew up in that culture - who the fuck knows.

99% of the time I'd agree with you but in this exact circumstance it would pretty much fix all confusion Drew et al are having trying to figure it out.

yami4ct

It's a big public safety concern especially in densely populated areas. I can't imagine people just crossing the street at any time, at an spot. Driving would be a nightmare.

Yep. You also have the problem of the copious amount of street parking and blind corners. There are tons of places where a pedestrian might think it's safe to cross, attempt it and get hit by a driver who had no way of seeing them.

Cities in the US (for the most part) were not designed around the pedestrian. They were designed around the car. This can cause a ton of trouble if people can cross whenever they feel like it.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Checking in late, and I skipped around a bit to see what I missed.

I heard Drew say the word "soultimate" six times in a row. Was that just hilarious luck or is he saying that word every ten seconds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom