• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Did we know that move date before? Rorie said the 5th but probably meant Friday the 4th?

yami4ct

I would not have guessed Drew would be giving Yo-kai Watch a shot

Drew has been trying out a ton of Japanese mobile and handheld stuff this year. He's the one who brought Monster Strike, Terra Battle, Puzzle and Dragons, Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 and Monster Hunter onto the site. It's been awesome.

popo

It's a big public safety concern especially in densely populated areas. I can't imagine people just crossing the street at any time, at an spot. Driving would be a nightmare.

and yet the pedestrian casualty figures are no higher in the many non-US countries that trust people to engage their own brain in self preservation. You teach kids at an early age to be respectful and wary of traffic. People don't suddenly - baring a few idiots - step in to city traffic just because there is no law against it.

I would not have guessed Drew would be giving Yo-kai Watch a shot

He and Brad listen to the 8-4 podcast. Drew has said as much in the QL. No coincidence that he has picked up this along with Monster Strike, FF Record Keeper, etc.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Drew has been trying out a ton of Japanese mobile and handheld stuff this year. He's the one who brought Monster Strike, Terra Battle, Puzzle and Dragons, Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 and Monster Hunter onto the site. It's been awesome.

Guess who's the true anime editor?

Kelas

alright dan let it all out up front

Tomb Raider was great.

hamchan

Thanks 8-4 play.

"I love the nub." - Drew Scanlon

qrIDVxc.png

yami4ct

Thanks 8-4 play.

Do the 8-4 guys actually play Etrian Odyssey? I know Drew has been checking out most of this stuff because they mentioned it, but I can't remember them ever talking EO. I have no clue how he ended up with that one. Not going to complain.

I think Tomb Raider 1-3 were all great when they first came out, but I'm sure they aged terribly.

Nah man, once you get the rhythm of how the control works it's a great game. The game itself is built around the tank controls.

Q3GFCOl.gif

I think what I miss most from the original games were the sense of mystery and wonder, when you begin a level you truly have to discover everything by yourself. You could pull a lever near the end of the level that opens a door in the beginning of the level, shit was nuts and everything was off the rails in terms of the puzzles so you have to take everything surrounding the level into consideration so that you don't get lost later on. Also dat atmosphere, since the game was silent it just felt that everything around you could be a danger at any moment.

tumblr_mlem4moh0C1sn5bb2o1_500.gif

They also were very varied and had awesome cheat codes.

popo

2600 people chatting on UPF (it doesn't break it out as viewers)

375 watching Gamepot Extra Life.

Truly two different audiences. At least their donations are coming in much faster than last year.

Dan would get torn apart by a wolf.

Almost every unarmed person would. Difference is that we all know that. I am coming around on the whole jay walking thing. It is needed to protect a nation of Dans from themselves :D

Nah man, once you get the rhythm of how the control works it's a great game. The game itself is built around the tank controls.

Q3GFCOl.gif

I think what I miss most from the original games were the sense of mystery and wonder, when you begin a level you truly have to discover everything by yourself. You could pull a lever near the end of the level that opens a door in the beginning of the level, shit was nuts and everything was off the rails in terms of the puzzles so you have to take everything surrounding the level into consideration so that you don't get lost later on. Also dat atmosphere, since the game was silent it just felt that everything around you could be a danger at any moment.

tumblr_mlem4moh0C1sn5bb2o1_500.gif

They also were very varied and had awesome cheat codes.

Believe me, I loved them. I just think it would be hard to go back to due to so many modern games making controls ridiculously simple to execute complex maneuvers.

Believe me, I loved them. I just think it would be hard to go back to due to so many modern games making controls ridiculously simple to execute complex maneuvers.

It kind of is because I played them recently, didn't finish the games as they are lengthy but I enjoyed my time with them once I got used to the controls. Still love'em.

popo

Also wolves hunt in packs and tend to avoid man where possible. A wolf is smarter than Dan is basically what I am saying. A wolf could have got a Film Studies Major from KU.

Even if I give Dan a lot of credit and say he could kill a wolf, he would undoubtedly die shortly thereafter.

He could certainly choke a wolf to death on his corpse.

Brashnir

Q3GFCOl.gif

Being able to adjust to, and even master, terrible controls doesn't make them not terrible. People speedrun games at GDQ every year that have absolutely awful controls. It doesn't make them good.

Kelas

Oh now I'm remembering this area. Though I remember it being a lot darker.

popo

hey so remember the fridge?

lets post them a live wolf

If you catch one I will chip in $5.

Although, by the time they open the package it will likely not be a live wolf anymore.

Jeff : "box city sure is smelling ripe these days"

Okay, let's get Dan in one of those big padded suits that they use to train attack dogs and have him get attacked by a dog.

like, in a controlled environment, but still

Being able to adjust to, and even master, terrible controls doesn't make them not terrible. People speedrun games at GDQ every year that have absolutely awful controls. It doesn't make them good.

To each their own, I played REmaster with the new controls and it just doesn't work. It works if you want to be speedy Gonzales and just be able to skip every zombie at ease. Now, I'm not saying all tank controls are good.

If you ever played Vampire Hunter D on PS1 you'd know in that game it never worked because it obviously wasn't built around the controls and no matter how good you are at gaming you will never be able to master it fully in the way that it would be rewarding in the end. You'll just get frustrated, which isn't the case when I play classic RE or TR. Heck, even RE4/5 had tank controls, most people just don't notice them because you're stuck in 3rd person instead of at an angle.

Lijik

Theres a Sega CD game called Wild Woody that has a nude mermaid code.
I forgot how i know that because I never played the game, maybe it was brought it up in the broken pixels episode about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom