• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Mario Maker is fun... if you like jumping on things." - Vinny slays SMM:s GOTY chances.

pretty sure Vinny at some point mentions that it's good that they keep updating SMM with more features because that's the whole game, which i took as a slight against SMM in that he views it more as a toolset than a proper game.

So that seals it: MGSV is GOTY, possibly the most GOTY-iest ever

killroy87

pretty sure Vinny at some point mentions that it's good that they keep updating SMM with more features because that's the whole game, which i took as a slight against SMM in that he views it more as a toolset than a proper game.

So that seals it: MGSV is GOTY, possibly the most GOTY-iest ever

SMM is their GOTY. The crew were immensely into both SMM and MGS at launch, and the months since have been incredibly kind to SMM, and incredibly unkind to MGS.

When MGS came out and they talked about it, I would have bet money it was their GOTY. But considering how much SMM has stuck with them, I'm not sure even Dan would make much of an argument for MGS anymore.

SMM is their GOTY. The crew were immensely into both SMM and MGS at launch, and the months since have been incredibly kind to SMM, and incredibly unkind to MGS.

When MGS came out and they talked about it, I would have bet money it was their GOTY. But considering how much SMM has stuck with them, I'm not sure even Dan would make much of an argument for MGS anymore.

Here's the amount of times GBEast has mentioned having played SMM: 0

SMM seems really top heavy in that both Dan and Jeff are really REALLY into it but they also strike me as the only 2 that into it and there are, what, 8 people in that GOTY discussion?

I dunno, I don't see the path to victory, especially if there's a Brad is-it-really-a-game filibuster coming.

pretty much, now im hoping for bloodborne to crack the top 3 somehow

killroy87

SMM seems really top heavy in that both Dan and Jeff are really REALLY into it but they also strike me as the only 2 that into it and there are, what, 8 people in that GOTY discussion?

I dunno, I don't see the path to victory, especially if there's a Brad is-it-really-a-game filibuster coming.

It's not like GB East is swooning over MGS on a weekly basis either.

You're forgetting that Alex folds like origami in any argument (he's known far and wide for his "I'm happy with either of these choices, I just want to make sure such and such game gets mentioned" arguments), and Austin's probably going to put up the biggest fight for Undertale being on the list. Vinny is the only one at GB East who will really fight for anything related to MGS.

It's not like GB East is swooning over MGS on a weekly basis either.

You're forgetting that Alex folds like origami in any argument (he's known far and wide for his "I'm happy with eithe rof these choices, I just wanted to give a shout out to..." arguments), and Austin's probably going to put up the biggest fight for Undertale being on the list. Vinny is the only one at GB East who will really fight for anything related to MGS.

I dont think Austin is so delusional to think he can get Undertale into the number 1 spot, or maybe even in the top 5. Plus, he's a noted otaku, as is Alex. And what's an series that ranks highly with otakus?

I rest my case

Megasoum

Banned
I don't get why people keep going back to the whole "Is this really a game" thing from Brad. Unless I missed one, the only time he ever said that was once, in passing, half jokingly during a podcast.

I really don't understand why people are putting so much weight on that quote.

killroy87

I dont think Austin is so delusional to think he can get Undertale into the number 1 spot, or maybe even in the top 5. Plus, he's a noted otaku, as is Alex. And what's an series that ranks highly with otakus?

I rest my case

I'm not saying he'll fight for Undertale at number 1, I'm just saying he'll fight for it to be as high as he can realistically get it.

Austin writes articles about gardening games and his top tens are full of games we've never heard of. He has bigger fish to fry than caring about which game is at number one, he'll be fighting different battles entirely.

Plus, I think Austin in his heart of hearts would like to see a Nintendo game take the top spot. Dude's a big teddy bear.

Austin and Alex are both down with most Nintendo games, so u doubt they'd fight to get SMM out of the number one spot. Brad is there only one who seems like he'd feel strongly about it but being number one. He's also pretty cynical to a lot of things MGS V, so it's not like her can argue strongly for it to be number one.

mintyice

GB's Top 10 is basically just Jeff's Top 10 anyway. He'll let a few games go in the bottom 5, but basically it'll Jeff and Dan telling everyone else it's the GOTY.

hamchan

GBEast have like zero power in the GOTY discussions btw. All their members might as well be Magikarps while GBWest are all fully evolved Gyarados.

GBEast have like zero power in the GOTY discussions btw. All their members might as well be Magikarps while GBWest are all fully evolved Gyarados.

y'all falling for this work. It's gonna be MGSV in the number 1 spot because SMM isn't a game.

Brad will show you the way. You will see SMM for what it is soon enough, the best toolset of the year

Bacon

I don't get why people keep going back to the whole "Is this really a game" thing from Brad. Unless I missed one, the only time he ever said that was once, in passing, half jokingly during a podcast.

I really don't understand why people are putting so much weight on that quote.

I don't think there was anything half joking about the way he said it.

killroy87

I hope Brad tries to bring up the "SMM isn't a game" argument just so he can get soundly smacked down by everyone else in the room. If he's going to make the argument, then he needs to commit and say that it shouldn't qualify for the top 10 list at all. Otherwise he knows he's wrong and is just using it as bullshit filibustering to keep it at number 2.

There's zero logic to the idea that "SMM isn't a game, it's a toolset, but I'll be happy with it as number two on our Top 10 games of the year"

firehawk12

Subete no aware
y'all falling for this work. It's gonna be MGSV in the number 1 spot because SMM isn't a game.

Brad will show you the way. You will see SMM for what it is soon enough, the best toolset of the year
After all the P2W shit, how could anyone vote for MGSV as #1? It's nigh unplayable now because of all that always-online junk.

yami4ct

Since this is the thread where we talk about YouTube Personality (TM) Patrick Klepek, let me just say I hope he goes back to giving more creators a try. His latest obsession with Stank does nothing for me. His levels aren't particularly interesting and it seems Patrick just loves him because they aren't levels that try to beat him over the head with difficulty. That's a great design philosophy, but his levels never come off as all that inventive or interesting to watch for me.

Gonna go out on a limb and say this is probably hyperbole.

The online FOB stuff is nigh unplayable without micro transactions because of the latest tier of upgrades pushing everybody up and those upgrades basically take so long you need to pay to unlock them. Then you have the fact that the game is pushing the FOB for single player and I can see why people are angry.

That being said, SP is good despite the FOB stuff. You progress more slowly on the upgrade trees, but that was never the main draw for MGSV for me. I was there for the base stealth gameplay.

Heimbeck

Banned
Do people have some title suggestions for the next thread?

Giant Bomb 19 | A nice suck of milk
Giant Bomb #19 | You're Over-Fucking It. I Think You Over-Fucked It.
Giant Bomb 19: Reduced Fat!
Giant Bomb 19: There are very few scores higher than 9.9.
Giant Bomb 19: I've got a 5.9 inch pale chub
Giant Bomb 19: Sippin' on a fine Pinot as we eat this Gruyere.
Giant Bomb 19: The best wine and cheese pairings for your pale chub.
Giant Bomb #19 | Battleface: Beyond
Giant Bomb #19 | We fucking made you, Gerstmann
Giant Bomb 19: I WAS EATING THOSE BEANS
Giant Bomb 19: Let Loose a 5.9'' Pale Chub in Butt City
Giant Bomb 19 | Your one stop shop for cautionary tales.
Giant Bomb 19 | I'M SLINGING THE CHRONIC LEGALLY.
Giant Bomb #19 | (Don't) Roll the Chemical Dice
Giant Bomb 19: Japanese Cutscenes
Giant Bomb #19 | 100% All Monkeys
Giant Bomb #19: I Was Told This Was A Safe Place
Giant Bomb #19 - Bye Mark Henry, I'm gonna try to find some weed
Giant Bomb 19: Bite my warm ass
Giant Bomb #19 | It's Not a Statement, It's Not a Lifestyle - It Just Makes You Go "Waaaaaa!!"
Giant Bomb 19: I've got keys to your mother's house
Giant Bomb 19: Titty games - aim higher and ask for more.
Giant Bomb 19 | Shenmue Community's Secret Hitler
Giant Bomb 19: Are there any better or worse Community threads?
Giant Bomb 19: Suffer for your Art
Giant Bomb 19 | This might have been a bad idea
Giant Bomb 19: Dan Ryckert tries every Mario Party game on the menu and ranks it from 1 - 100.
Giant Bomb #19 | I'm Pissed Off Jeff, YouTube Sensation! Angry About Everything!
Giant Bomb #19 | Barance
Giant Bomb #19 | ISS'A FUN FEED'N ON DEM PIES!
Giant Bomb #19 | Up Crap Creek Without a Spooge Hammer
Giant Bomb #19 | Don't Poop In The Shower
Giant Bomb #19 | FUCK SONIC THE HEDGEHOG
Giant Bomb #19 | F-Zone Is Over
Giant Bomb #19 | Ewoks gotta get theirs
Giant Bomb #19 | The Forbidden Pleasures of Pineapple
Giant Bomb #19 | The Waves Beneath Our Wings
Giant Bomb #19 | IT'S EXTREEEEME BABYY
Giant Bomb 19 | Who is guest?
Giant Bomb 19: KĪMP
Giant Bomb 19: Bakalar to the New Year
Giant Bomb 19 "You're eating newspaper"

Santar

After all the P2W shit, how could anyone vote for MGSV as #1? It's nigh unplayable now because of all that always-online junk.

What? No it isn't.
Just play it in offline mode and everything is just as when the game launched, no online taxes or fob crap or anything.
So many people don't seem to understand this fact.

h0D41e3.jpg
Just hit decline and voila your playing offline (or just select go offline from options.

yami4ct

What? No it isn't.
Just play it in offline mode and everything is just as when the game launched, no online taxes or fob crap or anything.

Just hit decline and voila your playing offline (or just select go offline from options.

I was under the impression your GMP was capped at some point and the rest was put into your online stuff regardless, so there is an inherent push to play online. The FOBs are also a tool that helped you progress up the upgrade tree more quickly prior to these changes and that ability is now heavily compromised. Without a doubt, that makes the game worse.

Unplayable? Certainly not. Worse? Yes.

Zornack

What? No it isn't.

"Most Overblown Complaint" award has to go to people saying that Konami ruined the game post launch.

Santar

I was under the impression your GMP was capped at some point and the rest was put into your online stuff regardless, so there is an inherent push to play online. The FOBs are also a tool that helped you progress up the upgrade tree more quickly prior to these changes and that ability is now heavily compromised. Without a doubt, that makes the game worse.

Unplayable? Certainly not. Worse? Yes.
I played the game exclusivly in offline mode, never built a fob and never had anything taken away or moved to a non exsisting fob, neither have I noticed any new cap on gmp or slowed down progression.
Offline the game is still as it was when it launched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom