• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

Even if any of you duders are into some good ol' puzzle games, definitely dheck out The Talos Principle. I picked it up for $20 during this PSN sale and already put something like 8 hours in the past day, which I rarely do. I had watched the PC QL a while back and thought it looked cool and it is absolutely great. It teeters the line of "wait, did I cheese that?" (you didn't) and "I'm an idiot, nope, I'm actually a genius" (you're probably still an idiot) incredibly well. The environment are beautiful, the story is interesting, and it's properly logic driven so it feels entirely fair. I like it.

I reviewed the PS4 version and yeah I can only recommend it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Even if any of you duders are into some good ol' puzzle games, definitely dheck out The Talos Principle. I picked it up for $20 during this PSN sale and already put something like 8 hours in the past day, which I rarely do. I had watched the PC QL a while back and thought it looked cool and it is absolutely great. It teeters the line of "wait, did I cheese that?" (you didn't) and "I'm an idiot, nope, I'm actually a genius" (you're probably still an idiot) incredibly well. The environment are beautiful, the story is interesting, and it's properly logic driven so it feels entirely fair. I like it.

Also it has a ton of eastereggs in it, which I feel like is a dying art in video games. Was my favourite game of 2014. Go buy it. The DLC is also pretty good.

Myggen

2806945-robot_football_poster.jpg

Source

Megasoum

Banned
I bought Talos Principle on PC when it came out but never finished it. I think I gave up after unlocking one of the power up that I had no idea how to use.

I should probably get back to that at some point.

neshcom

Banned

I really loved the game until I hit a massive difficulty brick wall at (what I assume it) the "normal(?)" endgame.

I think you have to complete all the non-challenge stages to get the final door to open? So much of that game feels on an entirely different difficulty level--including non-challenge levels.

I bought Talos Principle on PC when it came out but never finished it. I think I gave up after unlocking one of the power up that I had no idea how to use.

I should probably get back to that at some point.

You really should, it's incredible, I 100% that game and loved every minute of it, it's difficulty felt like it was tuned to my brain, the pace and challenge were perfect to me.

And on another note, thanks to the motivation of some folks yesterday, I marathoned Fargo Season 2 yesterday and today, and all I got to say is wow, you guys weren't kidding when you said it was as good or better than season 1.

LiK

the one thing I looked up for Talos Principle are the Easter Eggs and they're all pretty incredible. doubt i'll ever play it.

Bowlie

Banned
And on another note, thanks to the motivation of some folks yesterday, I marathoned Fargo Season 2 yesterday and today, and all I got to say is wow, you guys weren't kidding when you said it was as good or better than season 1.

Awesome. When Piston here mentioned it to me I did a similar thing, watching 9 episodes in one day. It's wild, violent, but also hilarious.
Now I want that soundtrack, hah

----

Bought Aviary Attorney, I have high expectations for this thing

Awesome. When Piston here mentioned it to me I did a similar thing, watching 9 episodes in one day. It's wild, violent, but also hilarious.
Now I want that soundtrack, hah

----

Bought Aviary Attorney, I have high expectations for this thing

Yeah the soundtrack was awesome, they killed it with setting the tone with music.

GB's most watched Youtube videos are fascinating. I wonder how some of them came to be. 800.000 views for the A-10C Warhog DCS video for example. Why? Is it cause a bunch of A-10C fans typed it into Youtube and that came up? Or is it just a popular video? One would think an hour long video about a hardcore flight simulator is not necessarily Youtube material, right?

Where's that from?

I was going to say that Kotaku helped, but the article only has 40k views.

http://kotaku.com/5874174/watch-grown-men-spend-40-minutes-trying-to-fly-a-video-game-fighter-jet

Noaloha

Ahead of the forum's official goty stuff I'd be interested in seeing, say, some top 3s from this community. I have mine locked down already. You?

mintyice

GB's most watched Youtube videos are fascinating. I wonder how some of them came to be. 800.000 views for the A-10C Warhog DCS video for example. Why? Is it cause a bunch of A-10C fans typed it into Youtube and that came up? Or is it just a popular video? One would think an hour long video about a hardcore flight simulator is not necessarily Youtube material, right?

That video hit the front page of reddit a few times I think. I'm pretty sure that video might have gotten me into GB back in early 2012

Ahead of the forum's official goty stuff I'd be interested in seeing, say, some top 3s from this community. I have mine locked down already. You?

I dont have shit ready, no

top 3 are something between until dawn, undertale, crypt of the necrodancer, cities skylines, and Oreshika. haven't finalized it but those will most likely make my top 5

I am not going to finish the witcher 3. I typically dont' put a game on my list unless I've finished it but I feel strongly enough about what i have played to include it, but I don't feel I can include it in my top 3.

Life is Strange and Her Story are the big 2 things to finish for the year so we'll see what shifts.

edit: I also generally go by Giant Bomb's criteria of "has to have seen NA release in 2015 and no remasters"

1.} Splatoon
2.) Super Mario Maker
3.) Metal Gear Solid V

I haven't played enough of The Witcher to fairly rank it but I enjoyed the ten hours or so I spent with it. Stopped playing because of the quest xp bug and then just waited for 'the next patch' and it seemed like the improvements never stopped! As a result, I never started playing again.

Not even close. I still need to play Undertale and more Xenoblade X. Otherwise, I'm going back and forth between Bloodborne, Yakuza 5, Splatoon, and MGSV.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
1. Dirt Rally
2. Divinity:OS EE
3. A Good Snowman Is Hard To Build or maybe LiS (haven't finished it)

1. Rocket League
2. Tales From the Borderlands
3. Life is Strange

Though Talos Principle is skyrocketing. Like Dear mentioned earlier, it's just kind of clicking perfectly with its pacing and challenge for me.
Witcher 3 I doubt I'll beat ever and almost certainly not this year.

Teddified

1. Witcher 3
2. AC Syndicate
3. Disgaea 5 (Only halfway through right now)

I need to start Tales from the Borderlands sometime but I got caught up in Just Cause 3 and I'll probably end up doing the DLC for AC Syndicate after that then maybe finish Disgaea. I'll squeeze in Borderlands sometime between that maybe If I really get in the mood for it.

I'm always playing my backlog so I actually haven't played a lot of games from 2015. I won't put TW3 on my list because i'm not finished with it yet so, hmm, I guess I'd have to go with

MGSV
Tales of the Borderlands
Rocket League

I still want to play Undertale and I'll check out LiS when it's under $10 on PC.

also of note: my top 3 games all had solid PC releases and I played 2 of them on that platform (got RL through PS+). Shows you how far PC releases have come.

I've only played Splatoon briefly during the initial test run and at the year it debuted at E3. It seems lots of fun, but I just don't think I have time for a game like that where the main draw is the multiplayer. I'm also really, really bad at competitive shooters, so I'm not sure how much fun I'd get from it. My favorite new games so far this year are probably:

1. MGS V
2. Her Story
3. Super Mario Maker

MGS V is just incredibly fun and definitely my game of the generation so far.

Edit: Rocket League seems pretty cool too. It's definitely lots of fun to watch, but it's another one of those games that I just don't think I have the time to invest to get good. It was free with my steam controller, though, so I'll definitely put some playing time into it at some point. I just played through the basic and advanced tutorials and they seem simple enough, but I am pretty awful at racing and sports games, so this seems like a bad combo for me.

FStop7

Banned
I need to work on my list but Fallout 4's easily my #1.

#2 is probably Bloodborne. Maybe Super Mario Maker.

#4 is Density: The Takening if expansion packs count.

Konami fucked MGS5 right off of my list.

I need to work on my list but Fallout 4's easily my #1.

#2 is probably Bloodborne. Maybe Super Mario Maker.

#4 is Density: The Takening if expansion packs count.

Konami fucked MGS5 right off of my list.

I keep hearing all these awful things about the FOB stuff, but I've unlocked FOBs and haven't even bothered to use them yet and still don't have any issues unlocking what I want in the game. I'm playing on PC, so I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

I keep hearing all these awful things about the FOB stuff, but I've unlocked FOBs and haven't even bothered to use them yet and still don't have any issues unlocking what I want in the game. I'm playing on PC, so I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

What they've done to it is shitty but really, the average player who just wants to play through the campaign will never ever have an issue with FOB.

The people who complain about FOB are like the people complaining that they added cosmetic skins to Gears of War or something: It's simply not affecting 99% of the fanbase. Did they rig the math to try and monetize FOB even further? Yeah, and yes that sucks, and no one playing the game really cares

I never felt the urge to engage in FOB and did it just once after my playthrough. meh. Never was once invaded or inconvenienced by it.

I guess it'd be

1) Yakuza 5
2) Metal Gear Solid 5
3) I guess Halo 5

I'm gonna play Tales of the Borderlands this weekend. I guess World of Warship's also gets a very favourable shoutout. Absolutely love that game. Wargaming's best of the 3 World of games. Oh and Cities Skylines, what a fantastic game. I just couldn't get into both the Witcher 3 and Bloodborne. I guess those games are just not my thing,

EDIT: I just realized those 3 games all have 5's in them. Year of 5's I guess

Noaloha

My own (no XB1):

1. Rocket League (pretty much locked, if it can be displaced, shit, how happy I will be)
2. Invisible Inc.
3. Undertale

(((((
games I've not yet played from this year but want to...

Mini Metro
Splatoon
Axiom Verge
Big Pharma
Until Dawn
Life Is Strange
Massive Chalice

)))))
Splatoon I was hoping to get today, but payday maladies, I have to wait until the 23rd.

justjim89

I'm probably gonna do something for GBUnprofessional where I post my own picks and write ups for each day of GOTY. It's kinda incredible how much good stuff came out this year. And varied too! Good AAA stuff, good indie stuff, more of the emerging middle tier, and that's coming from me as a PC only guy.

I think I've officially crossed over to preferring GBeast. Not that I don't like the west coast dudes, just like what the eastside is doing more.

VAPE LIFE

Right now I'd say it's

1) Undertale
2) Persona 4 Dancing all Night
3) Tales from the Borderlands

There are still a few games that I need to check out but I feel pretty confident that those will be my top 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom