• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

I'm thinking neither MGSV or Fallout 4 make my top 3.

Even though I played both of them for so long, thinking back on it the majority of their content is repetitive and generic, and pales in comparison to other long games this year with a large amount of unique content like The Witcher 3 and Yakuza 5.

BearPawB

Banned
Games in my top 10 that probably aren't in other peoples

EDF 4.1 (i don't care that it only came out recently)
Disgaea 5

(I like my grindy games)

Zekes!

Catching up on the stream from earlier.

Imagine playing Super Mario World and then going and making Bubsy (or any of those terrible platformers from the era).

justjim89

I mean, Game of the Year every year is Thief 2: The Metal Age, but they might as well pick numbers 2-11.

I'm hoping at least one of them finished SOMA and Life is Strange, though.

Reached G rank Special in MH4U woot

We all know this game will make it. Which there had been more video content for it ;-; Seemed so promising.

Rainmaker

Banned
Christina Von Eerie used to be one of my favorites to watch but she kind of became stagnant and fell away from working shows I watch somewhere along the way over the past few years. Wild to see her hitting Dan in the balls here. haha

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Reached G rank Special in MH4U woot

We all know this game will make it. Which there had been more video content for it ;-; Seemed so promising.

Did you miss that series of videos where brad learns about monhun from Jason?

That was a great long running video series wasn't it?

WreckTheLaw

Giant Bomb Japanimation Correspondent
He definitely played ahead, in the last LiS stream he talked about a decision he made in his playthrough.

Nope! I totally just grabbed an image I saw in the database under our header. Not sure what you heard last week, but maybe I was talking about something else?

"David Otunga's got a lot of potential."
- Jeff Gerstmann, November 2013

"I saw this picture of Kane wearing a business suit and it's one of the most exciting things I have seen in a very long time."
- Jeff Gerstmann, November 2013

Oh man, three hours of Jeff. This is gonna be good.
That's really disappointing. Have the week of Christmas off but back to work the week after so I won't have the time. Why do they have GOTY in a different week this year?

They don't. It was after Christmas last year (and the year before) too. Day one video was released on the 26th last year.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
If I am going to play Undertale and I know
that whether or not you kill enemies is important, should I avoid doing so in my playthrough or will it ruin the experience? Unless the game is vastly different on a second playthrough, I'm just going through once.

Catvoca

Banned
that whether or not you kill enemies is important, should I avoid doing so in my playthrough or will it ruin the experience? Unless the game is vastly different on a second playthrough, I'm just going through once.

just avoid killing everything. If you do it right then you can get the true ending without having to fully replay the game. Won't ruin anything,

Lingitiz

Playthrough once as you want and then
look up how to get the true ending after.

I'm thinking neither MGSV or Fallout 4 make my top 3.

Even though I played both of them for so long, thinking back on it the majority of their content is repetitive and generic, and pales in comparison to other long games this year with a large amount of unique content like The Witcher 3 and Yakuza 5.

Yeah, I think my top 3 is Witcher 3, Undertale, and Rocket League, in that order.

it's a pain in the ass coming up with a list of 10 games this year because there's so much good shit

compared to last year where there wasn't enough

Patrick Klepek subreddit

giphy.gif

Xiraiya

Listening to Austin describe Dragon's Dogma
"It's open world in the way of Bethesda games and combat is equipment driven like Dark Souls"

But then

"But if you go into this expecting Skyrim or Dark Souls, you'll be disappointed as it doesn't have that same open world interactability."
So... basically ANY western open world RPG that isn't a Bethesda game would have been a better comparison for the interactivity in DD.

Okay Austin.

Honestly I get what he's trying to articulate, but it sounds like he just couldn't think of anything but the two most "mainstream" names when there are a multitude of reasonably well known RPGs recent and old that probably would have served as a more accurate comparison for his point.

Also regarding Jeff Bakalar's glacial rant about generation jump in visuals between last gen and now.
I feel like the most severe examples of bad visuals he is noticing are actually games that were made for cross gen. They are generally looking strangely worse on older consoles than games that were made specifically for those last gen consoles.

For example, MGSV looks like utter dogshit on PS3, but MGS4 not only looks better than PS3 MGSV but actually looks pretty fantastic even now, because they made that game strictly for the PS3 and pulled out every wizardry trick they could, which is part of why it was never ported to any other console, it was made to be too reliant specifically on PS3's architecture for it to be be a practical port for anything else.

(Also Jeff talks like he has had a few drinks before the podcast, he wasn't slurring, but he has that slow drawn out speech I've never really noticed until now and certain tones of voice and responses that you can associate with someone who is beyond tipsy and quickly on their way to being drunk.)

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
God bless GiantBomb unarchived. I was just in the mood for 4 hours of Jeff playing Funky Barn again and it's the only place that can fix me up.

Alright, I finally got around to watching a complete playthrough of Aramageddan.

Jesus Christ. Patrick is a fucking cheater if he beats this.

It's terrible. Nintendo should cancel Super Mario Maker because of this.

Haunted

I think there's more good shit compared to last year, but less great shit. And I still haven't really decided on my clear #1 because there hasn't been that one dominating standout title this year. Ori and Witcher are probably closest to that status for me.

which is part of why it was never ported to any other console, it was made to be too reliant specifically on PS3's architecture for it to be be a practical port for anything else.
It's one of those small things we can be thankful for.

repeater

For example, MGSV looks like utter dogshit on PS3, but MGS4 not only looks better than PS3 MGSV but actually looks pretty fantastic even now, because they made that game strictly for the PS3 and pulled out every wizardry trick they could, which is part of why it was never ported to any other console, it was made to be too reliant specifically on PS3's architecture for it to be be a practical port for anything else.
I mean, as someone who just played through MGS4 (for the first time ever), you're only half right. The character models (especially Snake) look great, and the textures aren't too bad I guess, but the framerate is DOGSHIT and it looks pretty drab in the sense that there's really nothing going on in the environments.
EDIT: Also, you're talking as if that game plays technically to all the strengths of the PS3's architecture. The impression that I get from playing the game is rather that Kojima & friends were struggling with the architecture and that that is why the game runs so poorly. There are certainly much better examples of developers (Guerilla, Naughty Dog) really making the PS3 hardware sing than this.

Zoggy

if jeff was going to do the last livestream solo, why didn't he just do it at home?

instead of being alone at the office.

idk man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom