• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

neshcom

Banned
We do a similar thing with the podcasts I produce: they're streamed live and edited into video, YouTube, and audio versions. We get by on hosting because, of our 10k uniques, only 10-20% download a video version for any given episode. We mitigate some costs by not using a CDN for every show, but, at GB's turnout, it could be a pretty penny. For podcasts, most people prefer audio, even in shows with visual gags.

My guess is they'll make video only for premium (that's also less editing) and a premium RSS feed.

Megasoum

Banned
This is great (via Twitter)

CWk3RfgVAAApFEy.png:large

Unless Patrick is allowed to use the editor there is no way in hell he's brute-forcing his way through that monstrosity.The dude who made the playthrough opened it in the editor and still only had, what, 27 seconds to spare? Fuck that.

FluxWaveZ

does Yakuza 5 count as a 2015 release? I'm not really sure it does? I mean especially for me, since I first played (part of) it in 2013...

Just like how they discussed Danganronpa in 2014, they count the games when they were officially released in North America, not any other region.

Video bombcasts give a lot of people what they have been asking for. Seems like it has been requested for years. Unless they fundamentally change how they do things, I doubt it will hurt the audio product. If they all sit around with full size mics, headphones and pop screens in front of them then it is unlikely to have any significant visual component. Even then, I am sure any highlights would end up on youtube.

I can see it being a case of giving people what they want - only to find out that people don't really want it. Large bandwidth considerations and file sizes - I can see the video podcast having very niche appeal once the novelty has worn off.

I listen to the dudes at spill.com(now known as Doubletoasted.com) and I enjoy their content a whole bunch whether it's in audio or video form. I don't see how anyone can be disappointed with more options honestly, it's just more ways to enjoy said thing. I'm excited for it.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Video bombcasts? Hmm. I hope this doesn't end up with everyone playing up their reaction like it's some lame Youtuber or something

Yes it's not like we have years and years worth of video content from these guys already so we know that isn't their thing

oh wait

jaina

My issue with a video Bombcast: who is going to edit it? Will it be the raw recording but Brad is still going to edit the audio podcast? Or does Drew edit the video and Brad the audio? Or does Brad edit the video and export the audio from it?

Myggen

My issue with a video Bombcast: who is going to edit it? Will it be the raw recording but Brad is still going to edit the audio podcast? Or does Drew edit the video and Brad the audio? Or does Brad edit the video and export the audio from it?

The goal was to get it to a point where the video podcast required a minimum amount of work. So I expect Brad will do the audio and Drew will do the video. The video podcast will probably be pretty unedited.

AngryMoth

Having seen the solution I'm on board with the "Patrick should just not play the level" idea. Sure he could eventually beat it if he put in enough time but it would take so long it would just be boring to watch.

Rainmaker

Banned
I'll totally watch the video podcasts when I can. I like seeing reactions and such from them plus... maybe they'll find a way to do video for GOTY discussions next year. Hell, I watch Tazz gripe and be just ridiculous for his "radio show" that's totally just a podcast.

I'll totally watch the video podcasts when I can. I like seeing reactions and such from them plus... maybe they'll find a way to do video for GOTY discussions next year. Hell, I watch Tazz gripe and be just ridiculous for his "radio show" that's totally just a podcast.

Oh man, GOTY video podcasts would be amazing to see how dramatic Brad's hand motions are during filibusters.

Megasoum

Banned
What I don't like about video podcasts is that they are far more impractical to watch and I fear that I would always feel like I'm missing out on something when listening to the audio version.

William

What I don't like about video podcasts is that they are far more impractical to watch and I fear that I would always feel like I'm missing out on something when listening to the audio version.

Yeah I get this feeling all the time with Never Not Funny, which has a separate video feed.

Lelcar

I said earlier that I only listen to podcasts, but I would totally 100% watch video for their GOTY deliberations. GOTY is a different beast, those podcasts literally have my undivided attention. It's the only time where I don't multitask while listening like I usually do, I'm just staring at goddamn nothing because I'm so invested in the talks.

Lijik

Video bombcasts? Hmm. I hope this doesn't end up with everyone playing up their reaction like it's some lame Youtuber or something
lets be real the more likely outcome is this thread will whine about how theyve completely turned into youtubers the second jeff makes one face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom