• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played it for, like, 2 days, but the constant reminders of "hey, you can buy this! and this! and this!" shrouded in its cutesy way annoyed me

I installed it to see what was up with it and I thought it was a neat idea until the next day when I got to the practice thing and didn't receive a single free play after clearing the whole thing out.

Fucking shyster rabbit. He's playing you all for suckers.

'criminal' is one word for it

'correct' is another

Komaeda_(12).png

justjim89

Of course when I'm trying to play a bit more of some of the good stuff I've missed this year, I suddenly get the urge to play nothing but Thief and Morrowind. Gotta love when that happens.

daydream

Banned
this f-zero talk on the fast racing neo ql is a bit rough

i guess no one remembers f-zero x except jeff and i

edit: aha, vinny just looked it up. beast redeemed

Zoggy

WARNING: i'm getting super weekend up in here

How old is Danny? he has an alarming amount of grey hair. i always thought of him as late 20s early 30s.

even then, i guess grey/white hair is way better than balding, which is what i got.

How old is Danny? he has an alarming amount of grey hair. i always thought of him as late 20s early 30s.

even then, i guess grey/white hair is way better than balding, which is what i got.

He's in his late 50's, I think 57? Yeah he's getting really old.

tchocky

He will be 30 in January.

Zoggy

*sigh* i hate the GOTY discussion before it happens because i feel its been going on since like march (which is when the 2014 GOTY discussion finally fell off)

but here i go.

vinny can't and won't get kerbal into the top 10

Vinny is a little passive in these, and always wants to come to compromise rather than get what he wants.

he conceded to uncharted 2 over arkham asylum. he and jeff were fighting for batman, while brad and ryan fought for uncharted. He let off the arguement and let ryan/brad win while leaving jeff to himself.

he conceded to skyrim over saints row 3. again jeff and vinny were fighting hard for sr3 vs brad and patrick this time for skyrim. IMO, J/V were winning the argument, but when ryan just said "fuck it, give it to skyrim" vinny shied away like a turtle, again, leaving jeff to fight for himself.

he let sleeping dogs be number 10, when it was obviously a game he loved a lot, and was just happy that it got in rather than fight for a higher spot.

he was probably more passionate about sleeping dogs more anyone else about any other game that year, and yet he was just ok with it being number 10 on that list.

when others are THAT passionate about a single game as vinny was with sleeping dogs, they fight!, and fight hard!. Jeff did that with syndicate (2012), brad with (dota 2, destiny, mass effect 3, etc). Vinny? he's just happy it gets mentioned.

kerbal is a game that spent like 2 years in early access and released this year.

Now lets pretend brad was into kerbal as much as he into dota 2.

brad argued dota 2 into the top 10 when dota 2(at that time) was a game that was like 2 years in beta, based off a mod of a 10 YEAR OLD GAME. he got dota 2 in the top 7 that year, while NO ONE ELSE LIKED IT.

no man, look at the numbers. kerbal top 10 aint gonna happen.

also, besieged (also another A++++ vinny game) is not gonna make it next year.

Alfredo

yakuza 5 looks rad as hell

it remains a mystery why i haven't played these games, yet

For me it's because it's so hard to get started...I really want to start the series from the beginning, but Yakuza 2 is super freaking rare, and it seems like recently Yakuza 3 is getting hard to find also.

I really wish they would've brought over the HD remasters of 1 and 2 and put 3 on PSN.

Jintor

Bit off topic, but I like and vaguely trust this community: anyone want to do a play-by-post rpg? I'm thinking of running a Dungeon World game (it's like DnD but with less number bullshit)

Tubobutts

Bit off topic, but I like and vaguely trust this community: anyone want to do a play-by-post rpg? I'm thinking of running a Dungeon World game (it's like DnD but with less number bullshit)

I've never tried a play by post thing, but I would be interested. I haven't played D&D or anything for a few years.

Joeku

For me it's because it's so hard to get started...I really want to start the series from the beginning, but Yakuza 2 is super freaking rare, and it seems like recently Yakuza 3 is getting hard to find also.

I really wish they would've brought over the HD remasters of 1 and 2 and put 3 on PSN.

Look, I'm not gonna toot the piracy horn, but there comes a time in a man's life where he must look inside himself and say "Is there a way for me to give SEGA money for this product?" If the answer is no, the internet is there for you.

I got Yakuza 1 & 2 for hella cheap when I worked at Blockbuster in the late aughts, so I lucked out there. Yakuza 4 was on PS+, but 3 isn't even on PSN. Eff that. I'm having a hard time finding it for less than $30 used up here in Canada. Considering how they keep slowly bringing them over to the western world, they might as well bundle them or at least put them up digitally or something.

I would legit buy a Yakuza 1-3 on PS3 set, just to have the first two in HD. I am several hours into the first one now, and boy is it ever a PS2 game. Whew.

Zoggy

jeff openly exposed that they emulate old games that aren't available easily and commercially ON STREAM.

my advice? just do it. the resources are out there. the yakuze games are only what shenmue 3 could dream of,.

but really, who cares? the yakuza games are good in concept but poor in execution. being a triad everyman is awesome, but then then they throw in all this anime bs.

w/e. the first guy in yakuza 4 was cool. and then then there was that prison guy who was "a dark man with a mysterious past". i liked him.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
jeff openly exposed that they emulate old games that aren't available easily and commercially ON STREAM.

my advice? just do it. the resources are out there. the yakuze games are only what shenmue 3 could dream of,.

He's probably one of the few who can rip the roms himself.

Jintor

Sounds interesting, how does it work?

The very very basics of dungeon world if you drill down to the core are this:

a) The fiction is paramount (so if you attack a dude, the GM will ask: "Great, how?". If you can't do it in the fiction (your hands are tied, you're lying on the ground, you're unconscious whatever), you can't do it. So basically, most of what the players are doing is describing what they want to do and determining what mechanics it triggers. So less "I move 3 squares up and hit him with my Blinding Blow" and more "I run up to him and try and cut his throat before he can scream"

b) At that point I get you to make a roll. Basic rolling is 2D6 + (relevant stat) + (other modifiers). If it's 2-6 you fail. 7-9 = "you succeed, but...". 10+ "you succeed".

There's obviously a few more complex mechanics but that's the real basics of it and I like it a lot more than pathfinder/DnD.

As for how to run a play-by-post, that I need to sort out. Gonna look at a few threads on other places (including our own various pathfinder threads)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
He's clearly using downloaded roms (filename), but he probably has the actual carts for a large portion of what he plays.

Scizzy

Obligatory post to point out that the Friends at the Table podcast, in which Austin is the DM, features a fantastic Dungeon World playthrough.

a) The fiction is paramount (so if you attack a dude, the GM will ask: "Great, how?". If you can't do it in the fiction (your hands are tied, you're lying on the ground, you're unconscious whatever), you can't do it. So basically, most of what the players are doing is describing what they want to do and determining what mechanics it triggers. So less "I move 3 squares up and hit him with my Blinding Blow" and more "I run up to him and try and cut his throat before he can scream"

b) At that point I get you to make a roll. Basic rolling is 2D6 + (relevant stat) + (other modifiers). If it's 2-6 you fail. 7-9 = "you succeed, but...". 10+ "you succeed".

There's obviously a few more complex mechanics but that's the real basics of it and I like it a lot more than pathfinder/DnD.

As for how to run a play-by-post, that I need to sort out. Gonna look at a few threads on other places (including our own various pathfinder threads)

Sounds like fun, and a cool way to get more involved with the community. If this takes off I'm definitely on board.

justjim89

I'd be down to try it out. Never played DnD and don't have any dice, but it's always sounded like fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom