• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
baae9f023ce6e1b10a5995295db632c3.png

this screenshot is my exact vaporwave aesthetic

yami4ct

I only expect them to do it in front of audiences from now on, so probably the next PAX..

I'm pretty sure they said that, while they enjoyed the audience, they weren't going to hold future MPPs so they can do them live. It would take too long. I can't remember when/where they said that, but I distinctly remember that comment soon after the live party.

I totally agree with that idea personally. MPP Live was fun, but not having the crowd is fun in a different way. I'd prefer they change up their live format to always include some sort of party game, but it doesn't have to always be Mario Party.

Steam controller is incredibly rad when you get used to it, the gyro/pad combo is a revelation for the shape. Felt so good to play Blops 3 with.

yami4ct

Steam controller is incredibly rad when you get used to it, the gyro/pad combo is a revelation for the shape. Felt so good to play Blops 3 with.

I can't stand gyro aiming. I understand it, but I still find it stupidly uncomfortable. Gave it a fair shake with Splatoon and I had to turn it off because I found it so uncomfortable. Give me sticks for couch gaming and a mouse for at a desk.

Just seems like you're being obstinate given you're trying to draw such a clear line in the sand, can't understand how you'd find it physically uncomfortable. Used for very small fine tuning movements and anyone who uses it will destroy you in a one on one situation(in Splatoon's case where it's gyro vs non gyro)

Either way, Track pad is still really useful on its own if you get the sensitivity right.

yami4ct

Just seems like you're being obstinate, can't understand how you'd find it physically uncomfortable. Used for very small fine tuning movements and anyone who uses it will destroy you in a one on one situation(in Splatoon's case where it's gyro vs non gyro)

Either way, Track pad is still really useful on its own if you get the sensitivity right.

I just find trying to physically move my controller while also manipulating sticks and buttons to be really uncomfortable. I tired to like it. I gave it a few hours to set in. It just never felt good at all. I could never get the feeling right to adjust the aim precisely.

It doesn't help that I naturally like to rest my wrists on my lap and that impedes gyro aim.

From what I hear, gyro aiming is the least of that controllers problems. Garbage build quality, terrible button placement for people with small hands, your thumb constantly getting lost on the track pad, poor shoulder buttons, etc. Neat idea that supports a very specific niche, but it doesn't seem like it's there yet.

Not to mention that it also doesn't seem like most games support it yet without some serious tweaking, where they support m/kb and controller. At least from what I heard on a podcast. It'll probably be fine down the line after some serious revisions. Its really hard to get a good controller right on your first try.

yami4ct

The steam controller seems like it's cool for people with specific needs, but those needs are an extremely small niche. It seems great for games that don't have native gamepad support or need higher accuracy than sticks can provide. The problem for me is that I don't want to play games that need the accuracy of a mouse on a couch. For city builders, point and click adventure games, RTSes, etc, I would much rather be up close to a monitor where I can just use M+K.

It doesn't help that I naturally like to rest my wrists on my lap and that impedes gyro aim.
I keep my hands on my lap a lot of the time as well and it doesn't impede gyro aim at all. You're making very subtle movements, not flinging your arms around like you're having a seizure.

From what I hear, gyro aiming is the least of that controllers problems. Garbage build quality, terrible button placement for people with small hands, your thumb constantly getting lost on the track pad, poor shoulder buttons, etc. Neat idea that supports a very specific niche, but it doesn't seem like it's there yet.
I mean, the controller is ugly but all of the triggers and buttons feel nice enough to use. Utility over looks and such. And I have small hands and I'm not having any trouble adapting to the buttons. For the first hour or so I kept hitting y instead of x but you get used to it. Just like a new keyboard.

Not sure how your thumbs would get lost? It has haptic feedback which vibrates when you're approaching the edge/whatever for the game you're playing.

Even in the short time I've been using it I can instantly tell how much more accurate the touchpads are for first person shooters and other action games compared to a standard controller. It's not just good for PC exclusive games.

If I want to play Max Payne 3 on my 4K TV I can now do it with a lot of accuracy that standard controllers just can't begin to approach. Amazing stuff!

yami4ct

I keep my hands on my lap a lot of the time as well and it doesn't impede gyro aim at all. You're making very subtle movements, not flinging your arms around like you're having a seizure.

I know how it works, so you don't need to treat me like an idiot. I just did not find it comfortable at all. It's totally cool if you like it, I just don't. I gave it a few hours to set in and it never clicked.

Zornack

The steam controller/steam link were fully refundable and they gave me the valve collection because of mac comparability issues. 10/10 purchase for me.

I know how it works, so you don't need to treat me like an idiot. I just did not find it comfortable at all. It's totally cool if you like it, I just don't. I gave it a few hours to set in and it never clicked.
I'm not treating you like an idiot, I'm just saying that one particular complaint isn't relevant given I do the exact same thing.

yami4ct

I'm not treating you like an idiot, I'm just saying that one particular complaint isn't relevant given I do the exact same thing.

I'm just saying I found different. I found even with finer movements, it was uncomfortable to try and rest the controller down. Now, a good part of that is the sheer size of wii u pad, but it was definitely an issue I had.

I mean, the controller is ugly but all of the triggers and buttons feel nice enough to use. Utility over looks and such. And I have small hands and I'm not having any trouble adapting to the buttons. For the first hour or so I kept hitting y instead of x but you get used to it. Just like a new keyboard.

Not sure how your thumbs would get lost? It has haptic feedback which vibrates when you're approaching the edge/whatever for the game you're playing.

Even in the short time I've been using it I can instantly tell how much more accurate the touchpads are for first person shooters and other action games compared to a standard controller. It's not just good for PC exclusive games.

If I want to play Max Payne 3 on my 4K TV I can now do it with a lot of accuracy that standard controllers just can't begin to approach. Amazing stuff!

What I'm saying is based on reviews and hands on impressions from a bunch of people that have used it and most seem to be negative with the same issues across all of them. I'm not just not really sure if a controller that's only good for a really specific niche yet outclassed by m/kb, but terrible for other kinds of games is really that great.

If it works good for you and the games you like to play though, that's cool then. Doesn't invalidate all the negativity surrounding it though.

I'm just saying I found different. I found even with finer movements, it was uncomfortable to try and rest the controller down. Now, a good part of that is the sheer size of wii u pad, but it was definitely an issue I had.
Comfort is comfort but I took your comment as stating you had to be holding the controller upright to use gyro sensing accurately which isn't true.
What I'm saying is based on reviews and hands on impressions from a bunch of people that have used it and most seem to be negative with the same issues across all of them. I'm not just not really sure if a controller that's only good for a really specific niche yet outclassed by m/kb, but terrible for other kinds of games is really that great.

If it works good for you and the games you like to play though, that's cool then. Doesn't invalidate all the negativity surrounding it though.
I just don't see the niche. I've tried everything from Pillars of Eternity(which works but is of course slow in comparison to M&KB) to third person shooters which now play far better than they ever did with a standard controller. If anything the main feature of the controller is how much it can do.

Reminds me a lot of the people who would complain about pointer controls and how awful they are because it's something new yet when you look at something like Resident Evil 4 Wii it's clearly a much more accurate solution. I've been playing games my entire life, and a lot of that has been with controllers and with only a few hours with the steam controller I've already finding it far easier to shoot things accurately than I ever could with all that experience. Thing is pretty cool if you're open minded.

yami4ct

Comfort is comfort but I took your comment as stating you had to be holding the controller upright to use gyro sensing accurately which isn't true.

No, I totally own it's a personal preference thing for me. I absolutely understand the appeal as it adds a layer of fine aiming tuning. I wanted to make it work, I just couldn't.

Like I said earlier, that might be more the fault of the sheer size of the wii u pad. I hate holding that thing up at all or moving it in general. If you put the gyro aim in something the size of the Pro Controller, I might dig it.

No, I totally own it's a personal preference thing for me. I absolutely understand the appeal as it adds a layer of fine aiming tuning. I wanted to make it work, I just couldn't.

Like I said earlier, that might be more the fault of the sheer size of the wii u pad. I hate holding that thing up at all or moving it in general. If you put the gyro aim in something the size of the Pro Controller, I might dig it.
Understood, didn't mean to come off as nasty so I apologize.

I just don't see the niche. I've tried everything from Pillars of Eternity(which works but is of course slow in comparison to M&KB) to third person shooters which now play far better than they ever did with a standard controller. If anything the main feature of the controller is how much it can do.

Reminds me a lot of the people who would complain about pointer controls and how awful they are because it's something new yet when you look at something like Resident Evil 4 Wii it's clearly a much more accurate solution. I've been playing games my entire life, and a lot of that has been with controllers and with only a few hours with the steam controller I've already finding it far easier to shoot things accurately than I ever could with all that experience. Thing is pretty cool if you're open minded.

There are more kinds of games than PC RPGs and shooters. Like I said, cool for you if it works with the games you like to play, but pointless for the people who'd rather just go with the accuracy of m/kb or play a larger selection of genres than the one's that work with the controller's strongest attributes. Its best feature is that its used to play PC specific games on a TV with less accuracy than m/kb, but isn't as good as a DS4 or Xbone for the wide selection of games that those controllers work well with. That's a niche in the same way that the Wii Controller was for something like RE4.

And the Wii controller is different in that it was the best way to play RE4, while a m/kb is still better for PC games in comparison to the Steam controller.

yami4ct

Watching UPF, man the old Tomb Raiders don't hold up. I get why they were cool at the time, but they just look clunky as hell just to get around. I honestly don't remember games controlling that poorly. How did we put up with that?

Understood, didn't mean to come off as nasty so I apologize.

Eh. it's fine. Plain text doesn't convey tone at all, so I probably overreacted too.

Wait, no. This is the internet. No one is supposed to be reasonable. I should be calling you the worst human to ever live about now.

There are more kinds of games than PC RPGs and shooters. Like I said, cool for you if it works with the games you like to play, but pointless for the people who'd rather just go with the accuracy of m/kb or play a larger selection of genres than the one's that work with the controller's strongest attributes. Its best feature is that its used to play PC specific games on a TV with less accuracy than m/kb, but isn't as good as a DS4 or Xbone for the wide selection of games that those controllers work well with. That's a niche in the same way that the Wii Controller was for something like RE4.

And the Wii controller is different in that it was the best way to play RE4, while a m/kb is still better for PC games in comparison to the Steam controller.

The whole point though is that you don't always want to use mouse and keyboard, either because you're on the couch or you're leaning back in your chair or whatever. Mouse and keyboard is the superior option for 99% of games(there are keyboard players for DMC who are incredible) but it does require a more active stance than a controller.

And for better or worse the vast majority of games are shooters of some sort. And even for the action/brawler games it still has an analogue stick and face buttons. The biggest boon of the device is it finally captures the superior movement options of the analogue stick over wasd and the completely incomparable precision of the mouse.

And the Tomb Raider games control a bit better than that, wasn't Brad playing with one hand on a controller and another on a keyboard?

Old Tomb Raider platforming controls well once you grasp the rules of it. I would liken it to criticisms with Monster Hunter. Every part of the design is in support the platforming controls. I need to specify platforming. Controls during combat are no good.

- J - D -

Old Tomb Raider platforming controls well once you grasp the rules of it. I would liken it to criticisms with Monster Hunter. Every part of the design is in support the platforming controls. I need to specify platforming. Controls during combat are no good.

Didn't the hands of monster hunter players end up like this though?

d974f1ed77b236f119b0b3e4bb272878.jpg

If you gotta do the claw thing with any game to maximize the efficiency of its control layout, the controls ain't good.

yami4ct

Didn't the hands of monster hunter players end up like this though?

If you gotta do the claw thing with any game to maximize the efficiency of its control layout, the controls ain't good.

The claw was mostly a PSP MonHun problem. Once they added the targeting camera, you pretty much don't need it unless you're gunning on a non-New 3DS. On Wii U or the New 3DS, you're golden.

KingKong

I think Fallout 4 might actually be a good game. Terrible first impression though, baffling decision to have the blandest most poorly written characters be the first ones you meet

The whole point though is that you don't always want to use mouse and keyboard, either because you're on the couch or you're leaning back in your chair or whatever. Mouse and keyboard is the superior option for 99% of games(there are keyboard players for DMC who are incredible) but it does require a more active stance with a controller.

And for better or worse the vast majority of games are shooters of some sort. And even for the action/brawler games it still has an analogue stick and face buttons. The biggest boon of the device is it finally captures the superior movement options of the analogue stick over wasd and the completely incomparable precision of the mouse.

And the Tomb Raider games control a bit better than that, wasn't Brad playing with one hand on a controller and another on a keyboard?

I don't see what m/kb being better than a controller has to do with anything. Anyone can be incredible with any kind of input device and nearly no genre is exclusive from that. A steam controller isn't a m/kb though so I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here.

Also, there are many action games use more than an analogue stick and face buttons simultaneously. If it feels better to just use a DS4/Xbone controller, I don't see the point in using a Steam controller for those kind of games when it doesn't offer any kind of advantage to using it. I don't doubt that the Steam controller is great at what it does and I'm sure its fine for the price.

Most action games don't use the right analogue stick at all because they have completely broken cameras so there's nothing the steam controller can't do. It does after all have the same buttons, plus two extra on the back. It's not like stylish action games are all that common anyway.

And the trackpads of the steam controller are much closer to the accuracy of a mouse than analogue sticks. The biggest advantage of the controller for normal games is you can use the single stick for movement and one of the trackpads(+gyro) for incredibly accurate, mouse like precision. Best of both worlds and the ability to replicate the feeling of a mouse is integral to its design.

And a standard, analogue based controller has inherent limitations compared to this new one or a mouse and keyboard. Limits genres, abilities, game design, and so on.

I think Fallout 4 might actually be a good game. Terrible first impression though, baffling decision to have the blandest most poorly written characters be the first ones you meet

Fallout 4 is just one of those "I hope this is what you wanted!" games.

It's Fallout 3 with actual good controls. It's a game I now WANT to play, because combat isn't a chore.

Granted, the game certainly has flaws. I'm at a point where factions are just sending me on repetitive fetch quests. But I haven't progressed the main story in quite a while and I'm 25 hours in. Unlike soMe certain other GameS, I actually don't want to just be done playing it. I'm encouraged to spend time in the open world exploring.

The claw was mostly a PSP MonHun problem. Once they added the targeting camera, you pretty much don't need it unless you're gunning on a non-New 3DS. On Wii U or the New 3DS, you're golden.

I was kind of shocked at how MH4 controls on a 3DS XL. The targeting camera worked really well.

I obviously haven't gotten to this point but valve has the standard battery life for the steam controller at 80 hours. Please sony, never use an internal battery again.

yami4ct

I was kind of shocked at how MH4 controls on a 3DS XL. The targeting camera worked really well.

For melee weapons, the targeting camera fixes everything. The controls still take some getting used to because it's MonHun, but it's basically gotten to exactly where it needs to be.

I find gunning to be impossible without a second stick, so I didn't pick up gunning prior to getting my New 3DS with MH4U. That's personal opinion, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom