• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was kind of shocked at how MH4 controls on a 3DS XL. The targeting camera worked really well.
I have a new 3ds xl and I find myself only using the free cam for cinematic purposes in Monster Hunter.

I only play hunting horns though, imagine I'd feel differently as a gunner or bow user.

For melee weapons, the targeting camera fixes everything. The controls still take some getting used to because it's MonHun, but it's basically gotten to exactly where it needs to be.

I find gunning to be impossible without a second stick, so I didn't pick up gunning prior to getting my New 3DS with MH4U. That's personal opinion, though.

Oh yeah, when I tried the bow in the demo it kind of sucked, but using it in the full game with the n3DS felt much better. Its a shame I didn't really like the game because I love the way it controls.

I have a new 3ds xl and I find myself only using the free cam for cinematic purposes in Monster Hunter.

I only play hunting horns though, imagine I'd feel differently as a gunner or bow user.

As a bow user its not great. You really need a second stick for the precision. Especially in a game like MH where speed and enemy damage positioning really matters.

yami4ct

Oh yeah, when I tried the bow in the demo it kind of sucked, but using it in the full game with the n3DS felt much better. Its a shame I didn't really like the game because I love the way it controls.

As a bow user its not great. You really need a second stick for the precision. Especially in a game like MH where speed and enemy damage positioning really matters.

You like how MonHun controls but don't like the game itself? That's kind of surprising since the typical reaction is the exact opposite.

You like how MonHun controls but don't like the game itself? That's kind of surprising since the typical reaction is the exact opposite.

I'm a huge Souls fan, so the heavy emphasis on being committed to your actions plus the hunting aspect itself and the sheer number of tools you can build to approach a situation is really fascinating.

Unfortunately, the gameplay loop is where it totally lost me to where all you do is hunt -> build gear -> hunt better monsters -> build better gear -> repeat and having to rely on RNG to be able to progress in this loop.

It also hurts that I played it for about 15 hours and the monsters I fought were all boring and I didn't really care enough to see the later monsters which I hear are more fun to fight. Still, I'd prefer to only fight a monster once and never do it again, and that's clearly what Monster Hunter isn't about.

I really want to play Undertale but I was five hours into a playthrough when my ssd died and I don't want to replicate my actions to get back there. Will do so eventually I suppose, game seems wonderful.

yami4ct

I'm a huge Souls fan, so the heavy emphasis on being committed to your actions plus the hunting aspect itself and the sheer number of tools you can build to approach a situation is really fascinating.

Unfortunately, the gameplay loop is where it totally lost me to where all you do is hunt -> build gear -> hunt better monsters -> build better gear -> repeat and having to rely on RNG to be able to progress in this loop.

It also hurts that I played it for about 15 hours and the monsters I fought were all boring and I didn't really care enough to see the later monsters which I hear are more fun to fight. Still, I'd prefer to only fight a monster once and never do it again, and that's clearly what Monster Hunter isn't about.

I totally get it. If the loop doesn't hit you, it doesn't hit you.

For me, it works. There's something to learning all the monsters tells perfectly and wrecking him over and over with a group of other people. Even once you get to the point where the mats become super rare (like 5-10% drop rate), I kind of don't mind because of all the ways the fights can go. I also love learning all the different weapons. Each weapon has a ton of depth and it almost feels like a new game.

If that doesn't work for you, you'll end up being bored to death. Even as a huge Monster Hunter nut, I can see that.

I totally get it. If the loop doesn't hit you, it doesn't hit you.

For me, it works. There's something to learning all the monsters tells perfectly and wrecking him over and over with a group of other people. Even once you get to the point where the mats become super rare (like 5-10% drop rate), I kind of don't mind because of all the ways the fights can go. I also love learning all the different weapons. Each weapon has a ton of depth and it almost feels like a new game.

If that doesn't work for you, you'll end up being bored to death. Even as a huge Monster Hunter nut, I can see that.

I can see why people adore it. The gameplay tools are diverse and fun enough to keep the hunt fresh, and learning how to optimize the run is awesome for those people. Even as someone who likes FFXIV and Destiny which arguably have the same gameplay loops, I don't like to repeat any of the content in those games and still enjoyed them enough (especially FFXIV). Even though I like the gameplay more in MH, I still don't repeating the same events.

OST is great and all, but Giant Bomb gives awards for Best Music.

Hotline Miami 2. Catch it.

Ian will make a surprise appearance at GOTY and filibuster for FFXIV. I can feel it.

One really neat thing about the steam controller is the triggers have varying levels of sensitivity which can be individually set for each game. For example, in Alien Isolation I'm using a preset someone made that makes it so if I lightly hold the right trigger the gun goes into ready/aim mode but if I push in the gun fires where in the base game you have to use left trigger to raise and rt to fire.

tuxfool

Banned
One really neat thing about the steam controller is the triggers have varying levels of sensitivity which can be individually set for each game. For example, in Alien Isolation I'm using a preset someone made that makes it so if I lightly hold the right trigger the gun goes into ready/aim mode but if I push in the gun fires where in the base game you have to use left trigger to raise and rt to fire.

You really need to stop. You're making me want to go buy a Steam Controller.

I said to myself, I'd only consider it if I didn't need to enter big picture mode.

That's an option I want to tool around with when I get mine next week. Hearing it explained I picture the MGS2 aim and shoot model on a Gamecube pad trigger. Take that as you will, but it would free up the left trigger for additional commands.

the next big esport, dead before its time

Edit: I do think pushing Evolve as an esport was an interesting concept due to its asymmetrical nature though.

It was an interesting angle to take. It's E3 live commentating thing was less embarassing than all of the other ones because of how different it was, shame it didn't work out.

This is great, I'm watching Dans stream playing Fo4 and he's doing the building I cleared through earlier. It's pretty great watching him try and take care of the deathclaw :p

FluxWaveZ

I honestly can't wait to hear Austin argue for Undertale during GOTY. Hell, I can't wait to hear him argue for anything.

Austin's eloquence will be an interesting side to the deliberations. It's something I feel like Brad usually has, except when he discards it for the GotY discussions of his personal favorites.

I wish Vinny would play Undertale, though. Out of everyone else, I feel like he would appreciate it the most. Perhaps Alex, too.

I really want to play Undertale but I was five hours into a playthrough when my ssd died and I don't want to replicate my actions to get back there. Will do so eventually I suppose, game seems wonderful.

5 hours sounds like you were right at the end of your first playthrough. It can be pretty simple to skip everything quickly enough but, if you don't want to, I'd recommend watching the Normal ending on YouTube (which is likely where you were headed) and then going for a Genocide Route playthrough, which is a completely different experience and one of the darkest I've seen from the player's perspective in any game.

Though, one should also go for the True Pacifist ending... it's rare that every ending of a game is worth seeing firsthand.

Austin's eloquence will be an interesting side to the deliberations. It's something I feel like Brad usually has, except when he discards it for the GotY discussions of his personal favorites.

I wish Vinny would play Undertale, though. Out of everyone else, I feel like he would appreciate it the most. Perhaps Alex, too.

5 hours sounds like you were right at the end of your first playthrough. It can be pretty simple to skip everything quickly enough but, if you don't want to, I'd recommend watching the Normal ending on YouTube (which is likely where you were headed) and then going for a Genocide Route playthrough, which is a completely different experience and one of the darkest I've seen from the player's perspective in any game.

Though, one should also go for the True Pacifist ending... it's rare that every ending of a game is worth seeing firsthand.

Definitely, definitely, 100%, do not do genocide before you do pacifist.

FluxWaveZ

Definitely, definitely, 100%, do not do genocide before you do pacifist.

Yeah, I do agree with this completely. I guess one should at least see Pacifist on YouTube before going for that... but it can be frustrating for the person who lost their save, and I really don't like the idea of just looking at videos of it.

I guess my recommendation would be: play through the game again
without killing anyone
to get both endings, and then do a second playthrough for Genocide.

Anybody watch the gamespot extra life stream?

day2_brad3txtl9uac.gif

Haunted

Wanna bet Halo 5 doesn't make top 10. It'll be a repeat of Halo 4 during goty. No one cares but Drew.
Not every AAA title above a certain marketing budget automatically deserves a spot in the top 10 you know.

I don't know how anyone outside the hardcore Halo fanbase could make a good case for Halo 5 as one of the best 10 games of the year.

yami4ct

Not every AAA title above a certain marketing budget automatically deserves a spot in the top 10 you know.

I don't know how anyone outside the hardcore Halo fanbase could make a good case for Halo 5 as one of the best 10 games of the year.

Well, Call of Duty made it pretty high into the top 10 last year and it has the same kind of issues that Halo 5 does. If you don't care about COD in general, AW would've done nothing for you.

In the end it just comes down to whether or not someone will fight hard enough to get it in. It's impossible to assign some sort of 'game must appeal to x number of people' as a way to get on the list. It just comes down to the crew themselves, as it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom