• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

- J - D -

Not every AAA title above a certain marketing budget automatically deserves a spot in the top 10 you know.

I don't know how anyone outside the hardcore Halo fanbase could make a good case for Halo 5 as one of the best 10 games of the year.

I never said any AAA title did deserve a spot in top 10.

Just reading the vibe of the crew, most acknowledge that it feels good to play because of 60fps, but the vibes seem pretty low for that game.

Heck, even during Drew/Alexis extra life stream, they weren't as into it as they were replaying older Halos in years before.

Jintor

Fallout 4 is just one of those "I hope this is what you wanted!" games.

It's Fallout 3 with actual good controls. It's a game I now WANT to play, because combat isn't a chore.

Granted, the game certainly has flaws. I'm at a point where factions are just sending me on repetitive fetch quests. But I haven't progressed the main story in quite a while and I'm 25 hours in. Unlike soMe certain other GameS, I actually don't want to just be done playing it. I'm encouraged to spend time in the open world exploring.

I gotta get more gun mods or something cos on hard at least combat feels like a chore. I spent like two hours wandering through some stupid car factory last night and dying for what felt like real stupid reasons.

danm999

I can totally see Halo 5 not making the top ten.

It's biggest evangelist is Drew and Drew didn't get his GOTY for 2014 (a far sparser year) on the top ten list.

yami4ct

I can totally see Halo 5 not making the top ten.

I think a lot of it depends on if Jeff keeps going back to Multiplayer on occasion and if Drew ends up caring enough to push a little. I think it'll either barely break in (like 8-10 spot) or miss it entirely.

- J - D -

It seemed like Jeff enjoyed the campaign so I could see it getting decent amount of discussion at least.

Yeah he liked how it played, but it's not that kind of love like he showed for something like CoD AW last year. I don't think he'll put up much fight for it.

jaina

Halo 5 has about the same top 10 chance as Ori, Dying Light, Cities Skylines, Box Boy, Life is Strange, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Puzzle & Dragons, Until Dawn, Tomb Raider, Contradiction or Witcher 3. Played and liked by >1 duder. Of course this list isn't extensive or correct.
Also I just noticed Mortal Kombat X was this year.

Yeah really the only thing I'm confident about at the moment is that MGSV and Mario Maker will be in the top ten.
I'd be shocked if they weren't 1 and 2. They're by far the most discussed games this year, which is typically a good thing. It's why I was confident about Mordor winning last year for months. I still think this is MGS V's race to lose, but recent updates to that game seem to indicate that Konami has every intention of losing.

Moaradin

I don't see Mario Maker losing. They all seem to love that game. I really hope Rocket League gets pretty high though. They all really enjoyed that game and it was probably the most talked about game after Mario Maker and Metal Gear this year.

danm999

I'd be shocked if they weren't 1 and 2. They're by far the most discussed games this year, which is typically a good thing. It's why I was confident about Mordor winning last year for months. I still think this is MGS V's race to lose, but recent updates to that game seem to indicate that Konami has every intention of losing.

I was so sure it will be Metal Gear but even Daniel Ryckert himself has posted in this very thread saying something like he was still leaning Metal Gear but wasn't 100% (if I remember).

I don't see Mario Maker losing. They all seem to love that game. I really hope Rocket League gets pretty high though. They all really enjoyed that game and it was probably the most talked about game after Mario Maker and Metal Gear this year.

GBwest seems to universally love it but haven't heard much from GBeast regarding it, where they've all talked about liking metal gear and the witcher 3.

I also see until dawn with outside chance of top 10

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You know what's really fun in fallout 4?

Running around like a mad max reject and punching people till they explode.

Like, the actual game mechanic isn't fun, but the concept is amusing enough to carry it for me.

repeater

Watching the archive of the West Coast Extra Life stream. Dan at one point during his Mario Maker testing says "This is quickly becoming one of my favorite games of all time" [emphasis added].

Hey Kojima -- Old Man Miyamoto is coming for you!

Meneses

Based on their very positive attitude towards it, i'd be surprised if Mario doesn't win GotY.

All the post-launch bullshit surrounding MGSV seems to have soured a lot of people on the overall experience, and it will probably lose some points for that.

repeater

Based on their very positive attitude towards it, i'd be surprised if Mario doesn't win GotY.

All the post-launch bullshit surrounding MGSV seems to have soured a lot of people on the overall experience, and it will probably lose some points for that.
Yeah, whereas MGS has been on a downward trajectory postlaunch -- and only seems to be getting worse and worse as time goes on -- GB's experiences with Mario Maker have been getting better as time goes on, with all the Patrick stuff etc., plus Nintendo are actively expanding and improving upon it rather than making it shittier and less enjoyable which seems to be Konamis current M.O.

I think there is a solid chance this year of the GB GOTY listing having more smaller / single person team games than titles with huge big budgets that are mass marketed.

I see Her Story, Rebel Galaxy, Cradle, (maybe Life is Strange if someone finishes it), Cibele, Undertale, Soma and Until Dawn all coming into contention. I could see GBE fighting for Contradiction too! I know some of those still took multiple millions to make, but they are still relatively "smaller" games going up against ones with mega budgets.

repeater

I am pretty sure that Rocket League will make the Top 10, maybe even the Top 5. All of them have had a lot of fun with it, and it's a game that they'll be guaranteed to have more fun with even in short bursts as they replay games going into GOTY deliberations. Some other games they've finished but return to temporarily -- like Bloodborne for example -- won't leave as pleasant an impression when they only sit down with it for an hour or two. I think this will help RL further (which is a brilliant game anyway).

Myggen

I love jizzing on Jeff Gerstmann.

NimbleDependableHippopotamus.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
this game is a technical trainwreck, it's kind of goes beyond "issues" imo

also I feel dumber for having watched that

I mean, ymmv, but the 10/10 gamespot.com Witcher 3 is a technical trainwreck for me. I've had far more gamebreakign issues with that game than I've had with Fallout so far

this game is a technical trainwreck, it's kind of goes beyond "issues" imo

also I feel dumber for having watched that

Agreed on both fronts. And while I am very, very much enjoying Fallout 4 (first time with a Fallout game), the tech issues have been frustrating. I've had little in the way of bugs, but performance is so inconsistent. Even on a big, overly powerful PC I have had the framerate drop into the 20's once or twice and that is dogshit. Jeff calling out the tech issues is so necessary.

tumblr_mhetz7fi921qblic4o1_400.gif

As soon as they said "People reviewing low just to be different" I was like yup, they're beyond help. The irony is that one of them admitted a few seconds later to the game having technical issues so what was the point of all that discussion? The game has issues whether it's with everyone or half the people doesn't matter, what matter is that it's like every other Bethesda game for the past decade now and most review outlets were giving a free pass to such issues instead of putting them under scrutiny and highlighting them.

If such issues were present in other games, you'd bet said games would be fucked. But hey Bethesda games are massive with tons of choices so it doesn't matter, right? It doesn't matter to ask and want for better things after the fuck tons of revenue their games get, right?

106829-Kevin-Hart-dumbfounded-confuse-0aQE.gif

Zaph

The future of enthusiast press, ladies and gentlemen.

It's basically Gamefaq forum members who've managed to make money on youtube

edit - apparently that's a "American Internet personality, cosplayer, model, and vlogger" trying to shit on someone for using underhanded methods to attract attention. Projection much?

Largo

I know some of those Rooster Teeth guys are pro-Gerstmann, since he was on their PAX(?) show, iirc.

That's beside the point, since this comes up pretty frequently, that bashing Jeff for giving giving things low scores is not the hill you want to die on, given his history on that specific topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom