• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myggen

I know some of those Rooster Teeth guys are pro-Gerstmann, since he was on their PAX(?) show, iirc.

That's beside the point, since this comes up pretty frequently, that bashing Jeff for giving giving things low scores is not the hill you want to die on, given his history on that specific topic.

The man most people associate with Rooster Teeth, Burnie Burns (who was the host of that YT stage at PAX), is a fan of Jeff.

I know some of those Rooster Teeth guys are pro-Gerstmann, since he was on their PAX(?) show, iirc.

That's beside the point, since this comes up pretty frequently, that bashing Jeff for giving giving things low scores is not the hill you want to die on, given his history on that specific topic.

It's not about being a fan of Jeff or not though, their discussion is still stupid even if they didn't bring his name in it lol.

daydream

Banned
i was looking for mexican(?) telenovela jeff earlier since that picture cracks me up everytime but couldn't find it even after extensive searching, anyone got it in their archives?

Teddified

I remember when I used to be all serious about review scores and what not. But even back then I usually just disagreed with them I never really sent comments or called people out.

i was looking for mexican(?) telenovela jeff earlier since that picture cracks me up everytime but couldn't find it even after extensive searching, anyone got it in their archives?

tumblr_n10fyuwpsS1r0xadao3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n10fyuwpsS1r0xadao1_500.jpg

tumblr_n10fyuwpsS1r0xadao4_500.jpg

tumblr_n10fyuwpsS1r0xadao2_500.jpg

what is jaywalking?

Walking or crossing the street unlawfully.

Volotaire

Wow. Her point could have been partly justified if she completely revised her argument to the other person's minor point about people having different experiences in the technical performance in Fallout 4 and their threshold tolerance for glitches, which creates a wide spectrum in review scores. Unfortunately, all three went down a completely nonsensical route of analysis on the hidden incentives of assigning scores to video games. This is particularly odd given they were talking about Giantbomb. Its creation was caused by Jeff's dismissal at Gamespot; prompted by sticking to his integrity in the Kane and Lynch review.

Agreed on both fronts. And while I am very, very much enjoying Fallout 4 (first time with a Fallout game), the tech issues have been frustrating. I've had little in the way of bugs, but performance is so inconsistent. Even on a big, overly powerful PC I have had the framerate drop into the 20's once or twice and that is dogshit. Jeff calling out the tech issues is so necessary.

I'm having a good time, but I'm also playing on a system that should be tearing through the game, but it runs like shit and crashes. I can put up with a lot of jank, but these are the kinds of issues that can and should cause a game to be raked over the coals.

it's kind of not okay to say "game barely works at times but it's a good game so 9/10"

Jintor

Think I turned a corner on fallout 4 today. Feeling a lot more excited by it. It really is fun to explore the wastes, as long as you push the nagging feeling that everything is too close together and that people have barely bothered cleaning up stuff ever

No_Style

I remember when I used to be all serious about review scores and what not. But even back then I usually just disagreed with them I never really sent comments or called people out.

Yeah. One day people will learn reviews are just opinions. One day.

I also hope they learn to that reviewers are just people like you and I that are paid to give their opinions and are not some kind of mystical neutral arbiter of universal quality.

Man, I can see why people like Undertale but it's just not striking me at all. I love the characters, Sans is best skeleton 2015 and all that, but I just don't feel the reverence that people have for it.

Man, I can see why people like Undertale but it's just not striking me at all. I love the characters, Sans is best skeleton 2015 and all that, but I just don't feel the reverence that people have for it.

I personally wasn't super into it until I hit the final hour or so, that final hour in combination with looking up stuff I missed ended up putting the game in my number one spot for this year. I could certainly see it not hitting as hard if you've been hearing praise for so long at this point but I'd still advise seeing it through if you have any interest in doing so.

KingKong

Fandoms are insane and the game was practically designed to appeal to the tumblr fandom crowd

Volotaire

Yeah. One day people will learn reviews are just opinions. One day.

I also hope they learn to that reviewers are just people like you and I that are paid to give their opinions and are not some kind of mystical neutral arbiter of universal quality.

i think it stems for a number of reasons.

The first is that some people do believe, correctly or incorrectly, that there is a degree of objectivity in the analysis of games i.e. reviews. The technical nature of video games, relative to other entertainment mediums such as film and TV, mean that video games could be objectively analysed from a technical standpoint. This could also stem from other points. For instance, game critics or 'YouTubers' are ingrained in there own social norms of game design and preferences, moulded by their own history, culture and they type of critical game media they consume. Now, whether you think a review of games are objective, subjective or a subtle combination is up to you. This is subjective in itself!

The second reason is that games media, moreso than other types of media, tends to attract a warlike admiration with fans of video game series, paralleled only by sports fans (I am thinking of football in this case). This culture creates an irrational dislike of any criticisms. This also prevents nuanced discussion about games to surface. For instance, by providing anecdotal evidence, videos that provide a list of the 'top 10 reasons why this game is disappointing' have to signal, at the start of a video, they they still love this series, and that criticism is a signal of their love for the series. This wouldn't need to be signalled in the video games review industry if people, generality here, were not irrational.

This brings me onto another point. There are a wide spectrum of frameworks and criteria that reviewers use to analyse video games. With the rise of the internet as a forum for this, the variation has exploded. People who are foreign to one type of framework may misunderstand and therefore could dislike another. This can range from the type of scale they us to review games, if they review games from a comparative perspective in its series/genre or in an absolute perspective, against a more rigorous technical standpoint rather than its artistic achievements, and more. Again, these frameworks are moulded by a complex interplay of history, experience and perspective.

To conclude, peoples' perspectives of video games are wide ranging and formed by a wide variety of history, experience and media consumption. An asymmetry in the consumer's knowledge of various frameworks and reviewer's histoires also help exacerbate this. All of these are general points that, of course, do not cover everybody.

AngryMoth

I definitely felt underwhelmed of most of my first playthrough because of how much people were hyping it up that first week. But once I finally got over that it really grew on me and I enjoyed my second run a lot more.

Yeah, the game's mostly a boring mess. The very few times it actually manages to come together (like two), its pretty incredible and can create for some really special moments, but that game's pacing is all kinds of fucked and the writing is all over the place. I can definitely see why people love it though.

Fandoms are insane and the game was practically designed to appeal to the tumblr fandom crowd

Even though it might not have been the writer's intention, that's what most of the writing felt like to me too.

FluxWaveZ

I mean, I can kind of understand that (I search for "Alphys" and one of the top images is... questionable), but it's not like the critical acclaim that the game has received from a bunch of websites to make it one of the highest rated games this year is because of the "tumblr fandom crowd."

It's like these people never grew up.

Yeah saying that...Giant Bomb and Jeff by extension is 'trying to be different' it's like...motherfucker Jeff has been in the game industry longer than you have.

Man, I usually don't get riled up by stupid comments, but that one just Drew my ire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom