• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcridMeat

Banned
Aiiight I'll post it here and PM you too just in case you miss it here
http://youtu.be/PbviNjxcnA8?list=PLGZzj3oUhxhvqSYNLAScBhG-5S8pzIL1i
Thanks bubba.
Holy moly I didn't expect (members of) RT to be so terrible in this space.

It sounds like the argument of someone who just looked at the metacritic, without ever digging into why a game gets a score. It really is a forum discussion live, but being consumed by thousands.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I don't even mind the thing about the Fallout reviews. But what the hell sort of observation is that negative reviews of popular games only started with Bioshock Infinite....?
It probably gives you insight into when that person started follwing games journalism.

Haunted

The future of enthusiast press, ladies and gentlemen.

It's basically Gamefaq forum members who've managed to make money on youtube
Oh, it's already happened. These kinds of "regular gamers turned Youtube influencers", in many cases personal LP channels that got turned into media empires already have a much, much larger following than pretty much any videogame enthusiast site in the world save for maybe IGN and Gamespot.

Though the level of discussion might be much lower (as evidenced by the above clip), the kids value that "authenticity" over everything else.

killroy87

Watching the GB Crew's Extra Life stream now, and if the next thread title isn't "Giant Bomb 19: Reduced Fat!", then we done fucked up

killroy87

That was the straight up most aggravating thing I've ever heard. Makes sense coming from a former SourceFed personality though, the fluffiest, most pandering content on YouTube.

Edit: God damnit, the more I think about it the more it annoys me. Her whole thesis is literally (and I mean this in the most literal sense of the word literally) "anyone with a different opinion is just doing it for attention"

I find it funny that they single out the Giant Bomb review as being clickbaity and doing it for attention when reviews are such a minor thing that GB does compared to most other video game outlets. Being a technical mess means much more than the frame rate dipping or the dog swimming in mid air, outlined by Jeff's significant problems like the game being unplayable when there's too many enemies on the screen and the game actually breaking when story checkpoints just don't advance.

killroy87

I find it funny that they single out the Giant Bomb review as being clickbaity and doing it for attention when reviews are such a minor thing that GB does compared to most other video game outlets.

Really. GB reviews are so infrequent and non-front facing on the site, that they sometimes might as well not exist. I only noticed the Syndicate review this morning. To call them clickbaity shows such a fundamental lack of basic thought process.

Zaph

Oh, it's already happened. These kinds of "regular gamers turned Youtube influencers", in many cases personal LP channels that got turned into media empires already have a much, much larger following than pretty much any videogame enthusiast site in the world save for maybe IGN and Gamespot.

Though the level of discussion might be much lower (as evidenced by the above clip), the kids value that "authenticity" over everything else.

Thing is, if they want to do their own thing and their fans enjoy it, that's cool, but these Youtube MCN's motivations seem crystal clear with how often they take shots at the 'Big Sites' - they're playing to the cheap seats and cultivating an 'us vs them' audience. Meanwhile they're making bank from publisher's bonus CPM deals, while having no editorial oversight.

Anyway, we shouldn't really be surprised that Rooster Teeth's equivalent of Jessica Nigri isn't offering astute industry insight.

Sakwoff

On the topic of Rooster Teeth, Screwattack has been acquired and folded into the Rooster Teeth.

Whoa. This is kinda weird.

I kind of got into video content about games through SA way back in the day. Even though I haven't followed them in years.

I think I grew past their style. A lot of their stuff was fairly juvenile, but they sure did break some ground.

Sakwoff

Hmm, i see. Good content?

I'm incredibly out of touch when it comes to strictly YouTube game content.

Nah.... well, it kinda depends.

Some of their stuff is alright. Most of their content is... not for me. They are a huge company that puts out A LOT of content. (Which is pretty crazy considering where they started)

I liked some of the Achievement Hunter stuff. Does that still exist?

Volotaire

I didn't know Rooster Teeth existed until they did a skit on Nintnedo's 2014 E3 Direct. I'm too ingrained in the traditional video games media and early personalities like AVGN, etc. I'm really out of touch.

killroy87

Big youtube gaming empire. https://www.youtube.com/user/RoosterTeeth/
8,302,944 subscribers • 4,094,939,643 views

Gonna massively depend on how much you like Halo and videos about unlocking achievements/trophies.

Me, I'll say no. But it costs you nothing to check it out if you're curious.

Nah.... well, it kinda depends.

Some of their stuff is alright. Most of their content is... not for me. They are a huge company that puts out A LOT of content. (Which is pretty crazy considering where they started)

I liked some of the Achievement Hunter stuff. Does that still exist?

Thanks for the info! I'll just continue to live in blissful ignorance. I have enough trouble keeping up with my current slate of content while also actually playing games. I don't need to jump into any YouTube rabbit holes.

Nightmare fuel.
62PHbNU.gif

Hmm, i see. Good content?

I'm incredibly out of touch when it comes to strictly YouTube game content.

Youtube content is highly subjective, but I do not think they produce great stuff. Although I am not a big fan of Super Best Friends, JonTron, Angryjoe. Kinda Funny nor Totalbiscuit either. I don't even enjoy Jim Sterling much - sorry. I have reasons for all of these - do not like characters, people who try to talk intelligently about stuff they know nothing about ect.

My current ventures into Youtube are Mostly for Kay Play (Dark Souls, Life is Strange and others), Geek Remix (Life is Strange, Indie Games, Until Dawn and other), Stefanie Joosten (Phantom Pain). I keep trying others, but am easily annoyed so will stick with them for now.

Youtube content is highly subjective, but I do not think they produce great stuff. Although I am not a big fan of Super Best Friends, JonTron, Angryjoe. Kinda Funny nor Totalbiscuit either. I don't even enjoy Jim Sterling much - sorry. I have reasons for all of these - do not like characters, people who try to talk intelligently about stuff they know nothing about ect.

My current ventures into Youtube are Mostly for Kay Play (Dark Souls, Life is Strange and others), Geek Remix (Life is Strange, Indie Games, Until Dawn and other), Stefanie Joosten (Phantom Pain). I keep trying others, but am easily annoyed so will stick with them for now.

I'm totally with you there. Seems like you're quite the fan of Life is Strange. (As am I). You excited to see the GiantBomb crew get through it?

AcridMeat

Banned
I didn't know Rooster Teeth existed until they did a skit on Nintnedo's 2014 E3 Direct. I'm too ingrained in the traditional video games media and early personalities like AVGN, etc. I'm really out of touch.
AVGN started after Rooster Teeth did. Same era. Again that's why it's crazy how huge they've gotten from their humble beginnings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom