• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeku

But that shit is dangerous. You should not drink and GAF.

What if you reply to some thread drunk as shit, saying some terrible things that will make mods go nuts. You wake up the next day with a ban.

That's not fun at all. That has happened me, almost. But I hit the X button before I hit Submit Reply.

I just want to GAF sober in the GiantBomb community thread. It's more fun that way.

This shit frightens me so much. I usually just stick to this thread if I'm ever on here while not sober because otherwise I'd read something that would make me post some mean-spirited yet jokey crap that would probably go too far because it's typed and I'd get myself a ban.

After continually posting idiotic crap on Facebook and Twitter in college after getting way too drunk to know better, I generally try to avoid internet browsers altogether while schlockered. Better for me the next morning.

But that shit is dangerous. You should not drink and GAF.

What if you reply to some thread drunk as shit, saying some terrible things that will make mods go nuts. You wake up the next day with a ban.

That's not fun at all. That has happened me, almost. But I hit the X button before I hit Submit Reply.

I just want to GAF sober in the GiantBomb community thread. It's more fun that way.

Nah I'm just not that kinda guy, doesn't matter if I'm drunk or not.

But to be fair I don't really get properly drunk at home either
anymore...
Am I the only one who takes a shot when entering this thread?
I'd die from alcohol poisoning in like half an hour :(

I think Patrick is better at Dan's levels than Dan is. Shows Dan was just talking shit when he was incredulous that an email on the Bombcast said Patrick was more proficient at the game than he was.

repeater

Jesus, I've been watching GBEast's Until Dawn stream and went straight from that into Jeff Green's livestream of Fallout 4, and the jump in graphical fidelity was JARRING. First I assumed that Jeff was streaming from his PS4 which only outputs at a maximum of 720p, I think, but it turns out he's actually streaming the PC version. Now maybe he's running this on his 10 year old laptop or something but it looks ROUGH.

I think Patrick is better at Dan's levels than Dan is. Shows Dan was just talking shit when he was incredulous that an email on the Bombcast said Patrick was more proficient at the game than he was.

You can't really jump to that conclusion since we have no idea how Patrick would do on the level compared to Dan if he had made it himself.

Also, Dan's more consistently vocal with his fuckups than Patrick, so it's way more noticeable when Dan blows an attempt at clearing the stage.

yami4ct

I think Patrick is better at the pure platforming controls, but Dan is more proficient at knowing the ins and outs of all the mechanics.

DamnBoxes

Jesus, I've been watching GBEast's Until Dawn stream and went straight from that into Jeff Green's livestream of Fallout 4, and the jump in graphical fidelity was JARRING. First I assumed that Jeff was streaming from his PS4 which only outputs at a maximum of 720p, I think, but it turns out he's actually streaming the PC version. Now maybe he's running this on his 10 year old laptop or something but it looks ROUGH.

His PC is quite powerful, I believe. I was watching his stream about 15 minutes ago and yeah it's not pretty, that's for certain!

yami4ct

Just watched that Rooster Teeth video. Ugh. People who demand conformity in game reviews are the worst. Just because a bunch of other people think one thing about a game doesn't mean the whole group needs to. That helps absolutely no-one. You get no full picture of the game that way. As long as the reviewer justifies their criticism, than the review is perfectly valid even if it's an outlier.

Bethesda's engine is aging really damn poorly. They need a complete overhaul of their tech. They've added a few bells and whistles that look decent at times, but on the whole Fallout 4 is not a looker.

the kind of hilarious thing that this game has made me realize is that if they keep using this engine, the games are going to look worse and worse because they have to make up for its limitations through raw processing power. it's crazy how hard this dumb game hits my hardware. the console framerates speak for themselves.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
the kind of hilarious thing that this game has made me realize is that if they keep using this engine, the games are going to look worse and worse because they have to make up for its limitations through raw processing power. it's crazy how hard this dumb game hits my hardware. the console framerates speak for themselves.

Only when they're looking for attention.

maybe I'm more forgiving of Fallout 4's graphics because it doesn't look like outright shit like the past two games did, but I can't do anything but shrug when people complain about how it looks

it's inoffensive

the performance, on the other hand

FStop7

Banned
Maybe I'm not thinking of the right people but isn't Rooster Teeth a group of screamy shouty Youtube yellers?

Anyway. I just got started on Fallout 4 on the PS4. I like it but I can already tell I'd rather be playing the PC version, I just don't have a computer suitable for games right now.

There are some early challenges that are kind of unbalanced unless you're a Shooty McBangBang character, too. It reminds me of that first boss fight in Deus Ex: HR that's nearly impossible if you specced for a hack/snipe type of build rather than shootbro.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm listening to some "Eagles of Death Metal" after what happened last night... Never heard of them before yesterday. It's actually not bad at all.

Also... The singer looks an awful lot like GOTY Brad
Yeah man, that band is part of that whole Queens of the Stone Age/Them Crooked Vultures/Kyuss desert rock circle. Check those out, if you're looking for more.

I think I have to unfollow Austin on Twitter. Love the dude, hate his tweets. Sorry Austin!
I turned retweets off for him, we're cool now.

repeater

maybe I'm more forgiving of Fallout 4's graphics because it doesn't look like outright shit like the past two games did, but I can't do anything but shrug when people complain about how it looks

it's inoffensive

I'm not a huge "Graphics is everything" kind of guy, I was just surprised it looked the way it did -- I'd written much of the controversy off as hyperbole from exactly that kind of section of the gaming community.

Also, from what little I saw, gameplay looked kinda shitty as well.

yami4ct

it's inoffensive

The art design helps a ton. You can certainly see the problems in some of the geometry and texture work and especially the animation. The animation is so atrocious. Also, no game that looks as just 'fine' as fallout should be near the resource hog it is.

Maybe I'm not thinking of the right people but isn't Rooster Teeth a group of screamy shouty Youtube yellers?

Their original machinima stuff isn't like that. Red vs Blue was really funny for its time. I've stopped following them since they become major media players, so I'm not sure how their more LP style content is.

I'm not a huge "Graphics is everything" kind of guy, I was just surprised it looked the way it did -- I'd written much of the controversy off as hyperbole from exactly that kind of section of the gaming community.

It's weird: the same people upset at the graphics of the game are some of the same people writing off its buggy nature. If you've come to expect one, how didn't you come to expect the other?

but no seriously how can a game look like this and still perform so poorly on my PC

this shouldn't be the game that makes me want to upgrade my GPU

yami4ct

Don't be like that guys. Object permanence justifies everything.

Personal opinions and all, I don't get the appeal of that feature all that much. It's technically impressive, but I can't see why it's worth it to most players for the performance and bug hits. Sure, I can fill a shack with cheese wheels and that's funny, but if I could get rid of that and get better animation and fewer showstopping bugs, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Also please invest the money in proper writers. Or maybe just contract Obsidian to do your writing.

tuxfool

Banned
Personal opinions and all, I don't get the appeal of that feature all that much. It's technically impressive, but I can't see why it's worth it to most players for the performance and bug hits. Sure, I can fill a shack with cheese wheels and that's funny, but if I could get rid of that and get better animation and fewer showstopping bugs, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Also please invest the money in proper writers. Or maybe just contract Obsidian to do your writing.

Yeah. Absolutely. Object permanence has very little impact on gameplay itself, hell even the crafting system in this game would work fine with the typical RPG inventory system.

And yes, Bethesda should hire some writers.

AcridMeat

Banned
Don't be out and about with gaffers drunk, you'll end up perma-juniored.
I'm surprised they don't get more support from the GB community, with Danny doing the podcasts and Mary doing like 10 hours on the Drew/Alexis stream.
Now that you mention it, me too. I mean obviously they're good friends of the site, but at the same time you can tell Danny/Mary want to draw people to watch their stuff as well. The fact is they don't have the GB personalities as a part of their GS-centric so there's very few who crossover. Then again Jeff was on the lobby and the viewership was still terrible (in comparison) right?

That said is one donation in 15 minutes awful?

Ein Bear

It's less the visuals themselves that bother me in Fallout 4(the art style is actually quite nice), more the fact that they're slapped on top of a framework that is astoundingly ancient.

A character will tell you to follow them, spin round on the spot, jog over to a double door and then fade-out as a 'door open' sound plays whilst the door itself doesn't move.

You will go to talk to a character who is asleep on a bed. They are lying on their side, with their arms crossed, will shift to a sitting position, and then stand up. Their dialogue will have started when they were still lying down, and they will immediately get back on the bed when you have finished.

You will complete a quest for a character who tells you they are eternally grateful and in your debt. The quest will complete and you will leave the conversation and be back in the world. The character you were just talking to will now immediately go back to the same passive dialogue that every NPC makes when you walk by, without acknowledging your relationship at all.

These things are absolutely identical to Oblivion a decade ago. I don't want to get into 'lazy dev' territory here, as I have no doubt the team worked very hard, but this is essentially the fifth game in the series using the same technology, and I can't point to a single thing that's actually been improved on. Every single niggle, quirk, frustration and oddity is still here. It doesn't even run any better than the 360 games did. The engine is the equivalent of that fucking Morrigan sprite in Capcom fighters.

I really enjoy that part. Like, at the police station in Cambridge(You'll know if you've played), whenever I go there I see the dead bodies of the ghouls I helped take care of. Every time I go there, they'll be there. No matter how far I go, they'll always be there. And you can interact with them every time. It's....it's pretty awesome. Because I'm able to be like 'Oh and over here X and X happened'. Places become memorable. Combined with the physics, awesome stuff can happen. I've seen a body tossed up as high as a tower while I'm watching a slaughter, and if I went back there the little gibs of the dead bodies would still be there.

It gives the world a sort of persistence that alot of games are missing. Like, in GTAV I can cause a huge wreck and stack up a bunch of cars, but if I drive away and come back it's back to normal. It takes you out of it IMO.

I dunno, I like the jank.

Jintor

It's less the visuals themselves that bother me in Fallout 4(the art style is actually quite nice), more the fact that they're slapped on top of a framework that is astoundingly ancient.

A character will tell you to follow them, spin round on the spot, jog over to a double door and then fade-out as a 'door open' sound plays whilst the door itself doesn't move.

You will go to talk to a character who is asleep on a bed. They are lying on their side, with their arms crossed, will shift to a sitting position, and then stand up. Their dialogue will have started when they were still lying down, and they will immediately get back on the bed when you have finished.

You will complete a quest for a character who tells you they are eternally grateful and in your debt. The quest will complete and you will leave the conversation and be back in the world. The character you were just talking to will now immediately go back to the same passive dialogue that every NPC makes when you walk by, without acknowledging your relationship at all.

These things are absolutely identical to Oblivion a decade ago. I don't want to get into 'lazy dev' territory here, as I have no doubt the team worked very hard, but this is essentially the fifth game in the series using the same technology, and I can't point to a single thing that's actually been improved on. Every single niggle, quirk, frustration and oddity is still here. It doesn't even run any better than the 360 games did. The engine is the equivalent of that fucking Morrigan sprite in Capcom fighters.

yup

yami4ct

I really enjoy that part. Like, at the police station in Cambridge(You'll know if you've played), whenever I go there I see the dead bodies of the ghouls I helped take care of. Every time I go there, they'll be there. No matter how far I go, they'll always be there. And you can interact with them every time. It's....it's pretty awesome. Because I'm able to be like 'Oh and over here X and X happened'. Places become memorable. Combined with the physics, awesome stuff can happen. I've seen a body tossed up as high as a tower while I'm watching a slaughter, and if I went back there the little gibs of the dead bodies would still be there.

It gives the world a sort of persistence that alot of games are missing. Like, in GTAV I can cause a huge wreck and stack up a bunch of cars, but if I drive away and come back it's back to normal. It takes you out of it IMO.

I feel like a lot of the reason Bethesda RPGs need persistent moments like that is because the wiring is so not where it needs to be. You should remember those places not because you can visually see the stuff that went down, but because the game gave you a good reason to remember it on its own.

As for jank, the jank itself isn't the problem. No one cares about the harmless bugs like NPCs hovering or walking backwards or other dumb crap. The problem is Bethesda RPGs have an inordinate amount of show stopping issues as well as their terrible animations and performance. If those are concessions to get persistence to the world, I don't see the value. Again, this is just my personal opinion.

I feel like a lot of the reason Bethesda RPGs need persistent moments like that is because the wiring is so not where it needs to be. You should remember those places not because you can visually see the stuff that went down, but because the game gave you a good reason to remember it on its own.

As for jank, the jank itself isn't the problem. No one cares about the harmless bugs like NPCs hovering or walking backwards or other dumb crap. The problem is Bethesda RPGs have an inordinate amount of show stopping issues as well as their terrible animations and performance. If those are concessions to get persistence to the world, I don't see the value. Again, this is just my personal opinion.

Eh, I disagree on the first part. You shouldn't remember an area because a games writing culminated to 'HEY REMEMBER THIS AREA YOU DID THIS STORY THING THAT WAS MEMORABLE RIGHT?'. That goes against the 'emergent' gameplay that a Fallout provides. Like, the video I posted, I remember that area because I used 2 stealth boys whilst kinda 'infiltrating' this tower surrounded by high level raiders for no reason but my own enjoyment. And then the deathclaws came out and stuff went to shit and...yeah. That's my story.

As for your second point, that's a matter of opinion. I don't really mind the animations being old and rustic. but it's fine for me. As for show stopping issues, I haven't had any, I know they're there, but personally I haven't run into it.

Haunted

Fallout 4 looks pretty good outside during daytime. Night and indoors look absolutely terrible.
I think Fallout 4 has had its best moments graphics wise indoors/underground. They've got some solid brickwork and rocky cave textures and the smaller, confined spaces provide unique lighting opportunities where the engine can actually shine, imo.

BanGy.nz

Banned
I can't decide if I should play SC2:LotV or Fallout 4, I've spent the last 20 minutes watching GiantBomb youtube clips instead of playing either.

I think in an ideal world it would be both and FNV delivers both. I remember locations in New Vegas because of the story events that happened in them but it's also nice to be able to go back to locations and see what you left behind.

Haunted

Well said.

It reminds me of a ton of Japanese PS3 games last generation, people saw the screens and went crazy over them, but when it came to actually playing them, all the interactions, physics, clipping, animations, animation transitions etc etc it was all exactly the same stuff we'd seen in the PS2 generation, no improvements whatsoever. Fallout 4 is Fallout 3 on a new map, with a new coat of paint... that's kind of chipped and ugly right out of the box. That might be enough for many, but even if I'm enjoying my time with it in a guilty pleasure sort of way, it's not going anywhere near my top 10 list nor will I hold back in my critical analysis.

Doesn't help that I pretty much despise the one new major systemic addition that sits outside the core gameplay system with the base building stuff.

tuxfool

Banned
I think in an ideal world it would be both and FNV delivers both. I remember locations in New Vegas because of the story events that happened in them but it's also nice to be able to go back to locations and see what you left behind.

To get a FNV situation you'd need a developer that actually cares about RPG mechanics and knows how to write a decent story and dialogue.

Joeku

This is the sort of half-step storytelling that bothers me about games in the Creation Engine. Don't they all use that door to go in and out? Wouldn't those dead ghouls start to smell really bad at some point and probably lure in dangerous wildlife? If, after coming back to the station to hand in a mission
Danse
had said "Yeah, I dragged the bodies around the corner. It's unsightly for the
Brotherhood
to have a graveyard on our doorstep," and you could go walk around the corner and see those exact corpses and exact chunks of gib stacked up in a pile, wouldn't that still hold true to the "I caused this" mentality while making the world make more sense?

Everything being exactly as you leave it (aside from in your house or whatever) is so weird to me for a world so built on systems. The player makes an action, there is a systemic reaction, and then the game just sits there without further reaction. It doesn't feel "alive", in whatever wanky art student way you want that to mean.

I wonder if BethSoft takes such a hard line to player involvement in everything in their worlds that they just don't want to let things happen not on-screen unless it's explicitly story stuff (like the aforementioned Cambridge thing could have been, even including the player's actions). There seems to be very little faking and fudging in these games, which is absolutely respectable if It Just Works, but in so many ways it doesn't.

All that said I'm only like 10 hours into the game so someone feel free to tell me if there is more reaction to the reaction to the action of the player. It'd be nice to know I have some cool stuff to look forward to.

tuxfool

Banned
This is the sort of half-step storytelling that bothers me about games in the Creation Engine. Don't they all use that door to go in and out? Wouldn't those dead ghouls start to smell really bad at some point and probably lure in dangerous wildlife? If, after coming back to the station to hand in a mission
Danse
had said "Yeah, I dragged the bodies around the corner. It's unsightly for the
Brotherhood
to have a graveyard on our doorstep," and you could go walk around the corner and see those exact corpses and exact chunks of gib stacked up in a pile, wouldn't that still hold true to the "I caused this" mentality while making the world make more sense?

Everything being exactly as you leave it (aside from in your house or whatever) is so weird to me for a world so built on systems. The player makes an action, there is a systemic reaction, and then the game just sits there without further reaction. It doesn't feel "alive", in whatever wanky art student way you want that to mean.

Yeah. Exactly. In Skyrim you could make a mess in people's houses,I made a pile of garbage on their floor. You leave and then come back and the garbage is still there. Wouldn't the person living there remark upon it or better yet remove it from their house?

These systems haven't evolved since Skyrim and for some reason the game runs like crap. Just what is the game doing under the hood that makes it so complex that it needs much more power than Skyrim, beyond graphics.

Yeah. Exactly. In Skyrim you could make a mess in people's houses,I made a pile of garbage on their floor. You leave and then come back and the garbage is still there. Wouldn't the person living there remark upon it or better yet remove it from their house?

These systems haven't evolved since Skyrim and for some reason the game runs like crap. Just what is the game doing under the hood that makes it so complex that it needs much more power than Skyrim, beyond graphics.

We've all been running bitcoin miners obviously.

Watching the Extra Life stuff I missed, Jason plays RL like I do.

Sorry, Jason. :(

"I hate it when people review things at a 70 just so they can say they thought it was bad

I also hate when the scores are 9.1, 9.3, you gotta have some variation"

what

It's like they didn't see 2012s review environment or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom