• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

danm999

Played about three hours of Fallout 4 last night. It looks kinda nasty on my 4K monitor and doesn't run great but not to the extent it's a problem.

The writing is serviceable so far though I hope it'll get a bit more interesting than simply find your son. The dialogue system can run into that Mass Effect issue of no I didn't want to say that.

The base building stuff seems nice. I've run around Sanctuary cleaning up basically. Now I'm looking for food crops for the losers at my town.

I dunno, the open world exploration stuff seems to be scratching that itch so far, I hope it builds on the story in interesting ways most of all.

Volotaire

I think I have to unfollow Austin on Twitter. Love the dude, hate his tweets. Sorry Austin!

It would be useful if Tweetdeck enhanced it's option to turn off retweets in columns to individual users. This could be an option I don't know about which already exists.

KingKong

I've generally been lucky to only have 2 bugged out NPCs (that saving/loading fixed) and only one infinite loading crash, but I don't think a single quest has actually looked good as far as scripting/ai movement goes

the worst ones are when it involves several characters interacting with each other when you come upon them, things pretty much never trigger like they're supposed to

danm999

Oh and three episodes into Tales from the Borderlands the whole Bro sequence is probably the dumbest (in a good way) Best Moment or Sequence I've ever seen.

thanks for letting us know

It's important to catalogue the opinions we each have of the GB crew

For example-
Drew-Handsome, cool dude
Dan-Reckless, cool dude
Vinny-Fatherly, cool dude
Jeff-Cool Uncle, cool dude
Brad-Sleepy, cool dude
Rorie-Weird Uncle, cool dude
Jason-Also fatherly, cool dude
Alex-That one cousin who comes in and stares at you and you stare back but nobody says anything and you try to head nod but it looks like you're checking him out so he does a face and then you stutter out 'hi' and he says 'hi' back then you stare at each other a little bit more before he leaves to do his business, cool dude
Austin-Alex's best friend, cool dude

AcridMeat

Banned
I just finished the first iteration of my base project in Fallout.
ocUF4Th.jpg
A few more pics here. If anyone with more experience with pixel art can help make Pac-Man not look so dumb that would be great.

i'd like to point out that the female MC is continuing to be weird and badly written, 30 hours into the game.

also her background is so dumb that they were obviously just checking boxes. thought maybe it would be too obviously lazy if they just made her a housewife, so she's a housewife with a law degree, which obviously gave her all the training she needed to become a superviolent survivalist when the situation arose

it's weird that I'm enjoying this badly written, buggy-ass game as much as I am

tuxfool

Banned
i'd like to point out that the female MC is continuing to be weird and badly written, 30 hours into the game.

also her background is so dumb that they were obviously just checking boxes. thought maybe it would be too obviously lazy if they just made her a housewife, so she's a housewife with a law degree, which obviously gave her all the training she needed to become a superviolent survivalist when the situation arose

She beats the male MC. That guy sucks, no matter what option you make him say.

she did have one legitimately hilarious line so far, where she just replies to someone with "Dude, what the hell?" and the delivery was perfect. it made me sad because if she just responded to everything with incredulity and sarcasm it would be the best thing.

I like the voice actress though, I just wish they gave her better lines.

Scizzy

It's super weird that they didn't just rewrite the opening scene to make her the veteran if you choose her. This game also has Arkham City syndrome where I'm already utterly sick of hearing Raiders yell "bitch" every time they see me.

Still really liking the game for all its many, many faults.

justjim89

I'm starting to view Fallout 4 as a more charming, better looking STALKER with light character development. Which works for me cause I basically modded New Vegas into being STALKER-light years ago.

Haven't tried the female MC, but both seem pretty damn generic and forgettable. It makes actual roleplaying in the game a bitch, because your character has a background and a personality preset and you determine none of it. Even in RPG's with established characters like Geralt in The Witcher let you kinda determine the shades of his personality that fit your playthrough. In Fallout the most you can do is [SARCASTIC].

It's a hell of a fun game, though.

Zoggy

anyone wanna share each others steam library with me? specifically someone with fallout 4...

i've never done this steam sharing before, but i wanna check out fallout for a couple hours, probably for the night and then thats it.

anyone wanna try?

i got over 200 steam games as well, so you'll be able to check them all out.

demidar

I'm starting to view Fallout 4 as a more charming, better looking STALKER with light character development. Which works for me cause I basically modded New Vegas into being STALKER-light years ago.

Haven't tried the female MC, but both seem pretty damn generic and forgettable. It makes actual roleplaying in the game a bitch, because your character has a background and a personality preset and you determine none of it. Even in RPG's with established characters like Geralt in The Witcher let you kinda determine the shades of his personality that fit your playthrough. In Fallout the most you can do is [SARCASTIC].

It's a hell of a fun game, though.

[SARCASTIC] makes up about 90% of useful expressions anyway :p

justjim89

[SARCASTIC] makes up about 90% of useful expressions anyway :p

It just sucks though, cause it doesn't really give you an idea of what you're gonna say.

Among the many mods that I can't wait to come out, a full dialogue box with percentage indications for speech checks and the complete sentences written out is definitely one of the primary ones.

It just sucks though, cause it doesn't really give you an idea of what you're gonna say.

Among the many mods that I can't wait to come out, a full dialogue box with percentage indications for speech checks and the complete sentences written out is definitely one of the primary ones.

X) HATE SARCASM

demidar

Oh yeah, Fallout 4's dialogue is complete dogshit. No two ways about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom