• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The only game I feel ever got the dialogue system right while still only offering vague descriptions is Matt Rorie's Alpha Protocol. LA Noire gets extra credit for not knowing what the fuck words mean.

I like that HATE NEWSPAPERS shows up a little later in the game too. I wish I could say that someone was in on the joke and put that second reference in as a gag, but I'm pretty sure the game was gold before that started spreading.

justjim89

The only game I feel ever got the dialogue system right while still only offering vague descriptions is Matt Rorie's Alpha Protocol. LA Noire gets extra credit for not knowing what the fuck words mean.

I played that once for like an hour, got to the first real mission, then stopped. Always meant to go back to that.

You know what Fallout 4 gets really right, though? Power Armor. It finally feels like a machine you need to pilot instead of just heavy clothes. Like Austin, I'm really turning around on it. Curious what Jeff thinks, cause he's always hated power armor, too. I don't recall him talking about it on the bombcast, though.

danm999

Wasn't this because it was originally meant to say "Press" instead of "Doubt" but they changed it last minute?

i'd like to point out that the female MC is continuing to be weird and badly written, 30 hours into the game.

also her background is so dumb that they were obviously just checking boxes. thought maybe it would be too obviously lazy if they just made her a housewife, so she's a housewife with a law degree, which obviously gave her all the training she needed to become a superviolent survivalist when the situation arose

it's weird that I'm enjoying this badly written, buggy-ass game as much as I am

That sounds amazing. Bethesda role playing continues to impress.

Though, about five hours in they haven't done very fucking much of worth with the male MC's background, but at least I swallow the idea of a veteran doing the shit he's doing over housewife with law degree.

Alpha Protocol is the only one to really justify the dialog wheel to begin with, because of the timed "cinematic" responses.

The thing I hate the most in truncated responses is the lack of subtlety. Like, you'll think you're being sarcastic when you choose (3) Better kill 'em all. and then he goes and does it. However, full-dialog choices can fail in the same way, which is a bummer...

Dialog is tough.
Wasn't this because it was originally meant to say "Press" instead of "Doubt" but they changed it last minute?
Don't remember exactly, but it was along those lines.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
To be fair, that's probably expected from most traditional gaming websites not giantbomb. Even then, giantbomb is pretty much the prototype for YouTube personalities that gets the big numbers nowadays.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's too bad only seemingly Alex played a good bit of Syndicate. One of the better characters in 2015 is in that game, Maxwell Roth. Definitely a character that feels better than anything out of that series previously.

Megasoum

Banned
It's too bad only seemingly Alex played a good bit of Syndicate. One of the better characters in 2015 is in that game, Maxwell Roth. Definitely a character that feels better than anything out of that series previously.

Man I need to play more of that... But then I'm not even playing Tomb Raider and Fallout 4 wich are both games I really want to play.... I'm never gonna finish all those in time for GOTY...ugh

I went out for the night and I'm slightly happy Danny is now up about $800 from earlier. All things known especially from last year I think they have a good goal in mind at 10k.

I was reading Adam Savage's Wikipedia page and it linked to a local news article about a Tested video and I think this is a really hysterical description of the site:

Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman from the show “Mythbusters” run a YouTube channel with two other guys called “Tested”

Poor Will and Norm

Megasoum

Banned
I was reading Adam Savage's Wikipedia page and it linked to a local news article about a Tested video and I think this is a really hysterical description of the site:

Poor Will and Norm

Hah... Especially considering that Jamie probably has a total of 10min of content on the site. At least Adam does a lot of stuff.

kingocfs

Fallout's biggest problem is that Garrus from Mass Effect voices half of the wasteland.

That dude was in that Tom Hanks HBO mini-series The Pacific for a hot second and he was all I could think about. That's just his normal speaking voice. Fuckin weird

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Man I need to play more of that... But then I'm not even playing Tomb Raider and Fallout 4 wich are both games I really want to play.... I'm never gonna finish all those in time for GOTY...ugh

I stopped playing it for a few weeks to do some other stuff and mess with some other games and just returned to it today and it was like immediately 'man I still really like this game' even after playing other major releases inbetween

AcridMeat

Banned
Haha, what's the story behind that?
PM'd
Nice! Pac Man can use a bit more work, Where'd you get the colored squares though? Under what option are they o.o?
They're under Power > Miscellaneous, called lightboxes. The way they work is they can't be attached to existing walls, but they can stack/stick to each other, so you can theoretically make a wall out of them. I'm planning on making one by my jukebox in the house.

Once you give them power exit workshop mode and walk up to it, you'll be able to cycle through ~15 colors. :D

I was inspired by the trailer where they had the pixel vault boy.
Pac-Man gargling mouth wash before bed.
Haha yes. I was thinking drunk and/or yelling at the clouds but gargling I definitely see.

edit: I fixed it!!
yqZ9GqR.jpg
Now to fix the height of the ghost.

PM'd

They're under Power > Miscellaneous, called lightboxes. The way they work is they can't be attached to existing walls, but they can stack/stick to each other, so you can theoretically make a wall out of them. I'm planning on making one by my jukebox in the house.

Once you give them power exit workshop mode and walk up to it, you'll be able to cycle through ~15 colors. :D

Neat, I'll have to check it out later.

Tubobutts

Oh man, I have three of those french fry reticles Dan wants but I don't think there's any way to transfer them. Also I'm not going to play Call of Duty.

I'm just now watching the Tomb Raider QL, I really like how the game hides all the HUD when nothing is happening. That kind of stuff is refreshing with all the stuff games cram on the screen these days.

Looks like a pretty cool game overall, and I like Lara's red jacket.

Jintor

That sounds amazing. Bethesda role playing continues to impress.

Though, about five hours in they haven't done very fucking much of worth with the male MC's background, but at least I swallow the idea of a veteran doing the shit he's doing over housewife with law degree.

why didn't they take the easy way out and just make them both US army vets? I know the zeerust 50s setting is more in love with housewives, but I could buy during the just-before-war time of global unrest they have women in the us army.

even if it's as support roles or something

I'm just now watching the Tomb Raider QL, I really like how the game hides all the HUD when nothing is happening. That kind of stuff is refreshing with all the stuff games cram on the screen these days.

Looks like a pretty cool game overall, and I like Lara's red jacket.

That in combination with the game letting you turn off "survival instinct" (basically the click the right stick to solve everything button), made the few hours I spent with the game really enjoyable.

I wonder if the Oblivion "Stop! criminal scum" guard VO still gets work from Bethesda.

Edit.

Googled. Dude is called Wes Johnson and nope. Last work he got from them was Fallout 3 where he played Burke (the guy you meet at the Bar in megaton who wants you to nuke the town) as well as ALL the super mutants in the game.

Antiwhippy

Bah, I think my system might now officially be too old for fallout.

So, seeing that I have a sandy bridge i5 2400, my bottleneck should be the GPU and RAM right? I have a Radeon hd6850 and 4gb of ram.

Antiwhippy

Well, no SSD for now, but after I get the earphones I want my next purchase is probably 16GB of ram and a 960.

Which means I'll have to sadly shelve fallout 4 for awhile. I did have fun playing as a suicidal punching and molotov throwing insane lady from what I have played. Though I feel majorly disconnected with the dialogue system.

While we are talking about characters popping up in others games.

Tali from Mass effect on the Tower in destiny still keeps reminding me how much I want to replay Mass Effect. She even has a robo filter on the voice making it sound even more like her Mass Effect character.

Claudia Black and Nathon Fillion are there as well but they are in everything alreday so it isnt as annoying.

Fallout's biggest problem is that Garrus from Mass Effect voices half of the wasteland.

I hope the wasteland will be able to finally finish those calibrations.

Even if it were kept as Press, it still wouldn't have made much of a difference. "Stop lying to me you old hag!" would still come from outta nowhere.

Antiwhippy

Watching the klepokalyse and I kinda like it actually. Seems more based around the obscure rules of mario platforming and precision platforming which seems pretty neat.

danm999

why didn't they take the easy way out and just make them both US army vets? I know the zeerust 50s setting is more in love with housewives, but I could buy during the just-before-war time of global unrest they have women in the us army.

even if it's as support roles or something

Silly Jintor, women can't join the army.

But seriously yeah, they could have done something much more intelligent. She was an engineer in the reserves or something.

Or shit, let you pick your own back story. But we can't do that. These games aren't fucking RPGs after all.

Antiwhippy

Eh, at that point you might as well just do it all in your own head. Because yeah, the backstory is negligible at best. It doesn't really matter because there are things you can do that doesn't really fit into any prefab thing unless they just straight up have a text editor you can type in before you start your game.

Like, will there be a prefab backstory in any game that can explain me running around killing people solely by punching them? Probably not. Unless the prefab thing is that before the war I was a disciple of School of Hokuto Shinken, and after the war I am the last practitioner spreading my teachings.

Which would be pretty awesome, granted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom