• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
just make it Demolition Man. while you were frozen, they programmed you to be a superhuman

i just did in 30 seconds what they failed to do with four years

danm999

It's probably more a me problem than anything.

RPGs are my favourite genre. And while Fallout stated as an RPG; under Bethesda it has ran a long, long way from those roots to the extent its basically an action open world game at this point.

Maybe I should do like Austin and use mods that wipe the pre-ordained opening the game dictates and just do my own thing.

danm999

I wonder; what piece of fiction was the patient zero for the freezing people lets them travel forward through time trope. Whatever it was its spawned a shit-ton of stuff.

Haunted

Eh, at that point you might as well just do it all in your own head. Because yeah, the backstory is negligible at best. It doesn't really matter because there are things you can do that doesn't really fit into any prefab thing unless they just straight up have a text editor you can type in before you start your game.

Like, will there be a prefab backstory in any game that can explain me running around killing people solely by punching them? Probably not. Unless the prefab thing is that before the war I was a disciple of School of Hokuto Shinken, and after the war I am the last practitioner spreading my teachings.

Which would be pretty awesome, granted.
It was broken from the outset. Cryogenics doesn't involve putting people straight into a freezer.
The cryogenics of alternate history 50s America in 2077 do! They've always had some wiggle room and fudging in terms of technology thanks to that setting of theirs.

vague spoilers:
I've heard there's an attempt at some sort of justification given later in the story. Not satisfactory, apparently, but there it is.

Drew & Alexis Extra Life stream just went up on Youtube.
Oh no, are Parts 03 and 04 missing? That's the Keep Talking segment I wanted to see.

It was broken from the outset. Cryogenics doesn't involve putting people straight into a freezer.

Idk, I loved that. Fallout science has always been rooted in a 1950s stylized reality, hell this is a world with giant bright green monsters called "super mutants" and buck rogers alien laser guns. It's why complaints such as how the nuclear fallout would have subsided by now etc always fall flat to me, this series was never trying to realistically represent the post-apocalypse.

danm999

Vault 11 is the best vault because you have no idea what the fuck is happening and the purpose of all these weird election posters as you go in and you begin digging deeper and parsing through that Vault's purpose and man what a great game New Vegas was.

Jintor

Vault 11 is the best vault because you have no idea what the fuck is happening and the purpose of all these weird election posters as you go in and you begin digging deeper and parsing through that Vault's purpose and man what a great game New Vegas was.

possibly the best vault in all of fallout.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Hot G29 unboxening by Danny right now.

[EDIT - Radio transmission just coming in to Danny...

...un-BOX, un-BOX, un-BOX. We are un-BOX-ing now, Danny.]

Between the glasses, the lighting, and 20+ hours of streaming, Danny looks to have aged 15 years. Shame he isn't getting more attention, I thought they were going to mirror his stream on Giant Bomb again.

tuxfool

Banned
Between the glasses, the lighting, and 20+ hours of streaming, Danny looks to have aged 15 years. Shame he isn't getting more attention, I thought they were going to mirror his stream on Giant Bomb again.

At this point they should join the GB team. They are donating to the same hospital.

This Bioforge 'n Backflips run is so good; GB content is even more addicting than Rocket League, and I'm 115 hours in.

tumblr_inline_nin8hslR2D1rny13m.gif

I have probably watched that a couple of times now, always entertaining.

trilobyte

Arg, I'm having issues getting through the first part of the Klepocalypse. The canon ball jump run is so random and I can't get the timing down.

If you guys liked Bioforge, I highly suggest Game Informer's Super Replay of Cyberia, a similarly stupid game. It's got great stories from Dan and some of the funniest fail states I've seen in any video game all throughout the series.

daydream

Banned
welp, ended up doing the exact same thing i did last year with all these extra life archives

loaded one up, went 'fuck this is a lot of hours' and deleted the bookmark. just too much downtime and no live chat/thread to shoot the shit with

did watch all of sf, at least

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
welp, ended up doing the exact same thing i did last year with all these extra life archives

loaded one up, went 'fuck this is a lot of hours' and deleted the bookmark. just too much downtime and no live chat/thread to shoot the shit with

'For the kids' and all that, but the solo Extra Life streams are ridiculously boring

and then you factor in that they don't even do the 24 hours and it's like 'boy i'm glad this is for charity because this shit is dull'

daydream

Banned
'For the kids' and all that, but the solo Extra Life streams are ridiculously boring

and then you factor in that they don't even do the 24 hours and it's like 'boy i'm glad this is for charity because this shit is dull'

i get what you mean, though i personally wouldn't go that far. i really like solo jeff or solo brad (when he's playing the right games), for example

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
i get what you mean, though i personally wouldn't go that far. i really like solo jeff or solo brad (when he's playing the right games), for example

Solo Jeff works when he's playing older stuff because he has all those weird old stories, but I don't think any of the others work solo.

Not even Vinny

They're never something I'd just sit down and watch after the fact, but they make good background videos while I'm working on something else

Weird. Austin, Vinny and Jason/Lisa all were great even moreso than the SF stream because of how engaged they were with the community as well as donations. However, Drew and Alex was fantastic as well. Both Austin and Lisa answered as much questions as possible from the community and well, Vinny singing Hallelujah is worth it in itself. But hey, it's all opinions and all in the end.

repeater

If you guys liked Bioforge, I highly suggest Game Informer's Super Replay of Cyberia, a similarly stupid game. It's got great stories from Dan and some of the funniest fail states I've seen in any video game all throughout the series.
Wow, thanks for this! The first Windows PC my family ever got for some reason came with some kind of Cyberia demo preinstalled, so I will get a lot of cringey nostalgia out of that. Game must have constituted the peak 90s mULtiMeDiA™.

EDIT: Ehum, case in point - I found the boxart:
tLjh9lq.jpg

Wow, thanks for this! The first Windows PC my family ever got for some reason came with some kind of Cyberia demo preinstalled, so I will get a lot of cringey nostalgia out of that. Game must have constituted the peak 90s mULtiMeDiA™.

Be thankful that you only got a demo. The game's so bullshit hard that by the end Tim Turi has to switch from playing it on a PS3 to a PS2 so he could use the Playstation Mouse. It's amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom