• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeku

The existence of Tomb Raider Anniversary completely invalidates the original game in every possible way, and I loved that game when it came out. It's one of the best game remakes ever, and carries on the game's strong atmosphere and sense of isolation without being... you know, total garbage.

wait, Anniversary is what I meant, you're right. but yeah, I can't imagine wanting to play the original in a world where Anniversary exists.

and yeah, Call of Pripyat event/storms FTW

Tomb Raider: Anniversary, while sort of not really counting, is the best remake ever. That game is so true to what Tomb Raider was and is fucking great...especially when I played it like three years ago, just before playing TR2013. Anniversary kept her as that badass icon but made it control not like a game from the mid-90s.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Yeah, Anniversary is great.

Maybe not easy to go back to, but I loved the original games. Don't remember having tremendous difficulty with the controls as a kid, though I do remember extensively using printed out walkthroughs for 2.

Haunted

Jeff posting entire Wikipedia articles on his Tumblr. Good stuff.

What can't be said about a crazy paternoster?
I used to work in a building that had a paternoster, always thought they were fun to use and much faster for short elevation (obviously) than closed elevators.

I didn't even know they were that rare, but it probably makes sense to have them phased out eventually.

edit: wikipedia says there are still ~250 active paternosters in Germany alone (I assume mostly in old-ish government buildings), so they're definitely not as rare as they're made out to be in that video.

I used to work in a building that had a paternoster, always thought they were fun to use and much faster for short elevation (obviously) than closed elevators.

I didn't even know they were that rare, but it probably makes sense to have them phased out eventually.

edit: wikipedia says there are still ~250 active paternosters in Germany alone (I assume mostly in old-ish government buildings), so they're definitely not as rare as they're made out to be in that video.

Yeah they're not quite that rare, there's still a few of them here in Finland, too. The only one I've seen personally is in the Parliament House.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

Germany made them illegal and then reversed the decision after protests.

edit: Twice.

That type of elevator is common as part of travelling fairground Fun Houses in the UK and Europe.

There's actually a great deal of old birdcage elevators still in operation in Glasgow if you know where to look.

danm999

yeah pretty cool that it came out a week too late

wait what

As in, it's October 31st in the game world and the guards have proximity dialogue that they are bummed they can't dress up.

I dunno I'm up to the Diamond City stuff and it seems way better at building a cohesive roleplaying location than anything Bethesda has shown so far in Skyrim or Fallout 3.

Disappointing but not really unexpected. It's only available on Xbox One at the moment and that system is still struggling hard everywhere that's not the US.

Nero18

Its really a shame, game seems pretty good, feel like those types of games never do too good on the Xbox. Remember feeling like Alan Wake probably would get more attention if it was on PS.

Teddified

It just seems like the Xbox ver of Tomb Raider was sent to die. Release date next to FO4, and the fact that Crystal Dynamics decided to release info on when the other versions would be coming out definitely support that.

I really wonder what went down between SE and MS after that initial reveal.

oti

Banned
the overall corporate feel of that site (for lack of better words) makes it feel a bit less shitty than if it were some personality-driven site like GB

as long as it doesn't trickle down to them, I'm fine with it

I really don't care about GS and that's a shame. Do they also do podcasts? I'd love to have another Bombcast with Danny, Mary and... who else is there... wait Alexa. Yeah, she's cool too. Why can't they be more like GB, just cooler.

Nero18

This 2013 promo video from Hitachi for a new circulating elevator is like something straight from the 90s. The stock footage, the narration, the music..

I really don't care about GS and that's a shame. Do they also do podcasts? I'd love to have another Bombcast with Danny, Meary and... who else is there... wait Alexa. Yeah, she's cool too. Why can't they be more like GB, just cooler.

The Lobby is pretty good.

danm999

It just seems like the Xbox ver of Tomb Raider was sent to die. Release date next to FO4, and the fact that Crystal Dynamics decided to release info on when the other versions would be coming out definitely support that.

I really wonder what went down between SE and MS after that initial reveal.

Who knows. It may all be going to plan; Microsoft wanted something exclusive besides Halo to push Xbox One's this holiday season, Square Enix is happy for the game to sell mediocre units until the PC and PS4 versions come along.

It's kind of a weird throwback deal when you think about it; big third parties barely ever do timed exclusives anymore.

tuxfool

Banned
I really don't care about GS and that's a shame. Do they also do podcasts? I'd love to have another Bombcast with Danny, Meary and... who else is there... wait Alexa. Yeah, she's cool too. Why can't they be more like GB, just cooler.

Because CBS already has Giantbomb. Added to the fact that the userbase for GS gives 0 shits about all this content which is more than 5 minutes long, then you'd have to ask whether another podcast is worth it in an already very crowded space.

The Lobby is pretty bad.
It is good when Jeff is there, or they have guests.

Teddified

Who knows. It may all be going to plan; Microsoft wanted something exclusive besides Halo to push Xbox One's this holiday season, Square Enix is happy for the game to sell mediocre units until the PC and PS4 versions come along.

It's kind of a weird throwback deal when you think about it; big third parties barely ever do timed exclusives anymore.

I wonder if Microsoft even marketed Tomb Raider any? I mean they had rights to market both FO4 and TR right? I could see them placing their cards on FO4 once release dates kicked in.

Its really a shame, game seems pretty good, feel like those types of games never do too good on the Xbox. Remember feeling like Alan Wake probably would get more attention if it was on PS.

they put out a platform-exclusive game on an underperforming platform with little fanfare on the same day as the biggest game launch of the year, i'm not totally sure they thought that one through.

tuxfool

Banned
they put out a platform-exclusive game on an underperforming platform with little fanfare on the same day as the biggest game launch of the year, i'm not totally sure they thought that one through.

It isn't that didn't think it through, but more that they already had a plan to compete with UC4. The stupid part was that they didn't change the plan when UC4 got moved and FO4 got announced. Then there are the rumours that the relationship between MS and SE soured, which was the reason why SE announced the timeframe for the other platforms.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The GS/GB thing is fascinating. GS clearly has a bigger audience but they don't give a shit about anything but news, trailers and reviews. GB's audience is much smaller but much more dedicated. GB rarely even posts news, trailers usually only if Jeff or Alex have something snarky to say about them and reviews just for the biggest games around.
I wonder if there are actually fans of Gamespot.

Zaph

Oh. Well, I really hope SE secured a structured compensation deal with MS, and not just a flat payment. Even then, it probably won't cover the mind share damage alone.

But Fallout, wow. It's clear Bethesda were hovering at that Rockstar/Activision level of mass appeal, but it kinda hit home today when I overheard our 60-something Electrician laughing about the Bloody Mess perk.

They have one big one - Google.

The GS/GB thing is fascinating. GS clearly has a bigger audience but they don't give a shit about anything but news, trailers and reviews. GB's audience is much smaller but much more dedicated.

Well most of the GS fans migrated to GB after the old management fucked up and fired Jeff plus the rest quit thus GB was formed, that's what I did but even then I visit GS for the few people that are or were there like Chris Watters,
Kevin VanOrd, Danny O'Dwyer, Mary Kish, Ryan Mcdonald, Greg Kasavin & Peter Brown. Let's go back now to how things were when Jeff got fired. Also, seeing Jeff again on GS was surreal from what I remember haha.

For people who beat Batman AK already: is it better to just mainline the story then do sidequests after? I remember Brad saying that something changes the side quests after the main story. No real spoilers pls.

I'm not sure what changes since I did it while doing the story stuff, It's worth it because most of the side missions but I don't think anything changes because many people did the side missions after beating the game and they didn't say anything about it.

Teddified

For people who beat Batman AK already: is it better to just mainline the story then do sidequests after? I remember Brad saying that something changes the side quests after the main story. No real spoilers pls.

I'm not sure what changes since I did it while doing the story stuff, It's worth it because most of the side missions but I don't think anything changes because many people did the side missions after beating the game and they didn't say anything about it.

Huh, I wonder what he was referring to then. Guess I'll find out when I finish the game.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Huh, I wonder what he was referring to then. Guess I'll find out when I finish the game.

There is an alternate ending if you do 100% of the side stuff (including the Riddler stuff). It is about 15 seconds long, underwhelming and not worth the effort. If you still want to do it, play the main story till the last mission or so, so you can actually get all the riddler stuff.

Maybe he was referring to the extended ending which is doing something specific but you can't until you "clean up the city" first if I remember correctly which is finishing the side missions. It could also be that you're misremembering, I don't really remember what he said exactly so yeah.

Teddified

There is an alternate ending if you do 100% of the side stuff (including the Riddler stuff). It is about 15 seconds long, underwhelming and not worth the effort. If you still want to do it, play the main story till the last mission or so, so you can actually get all the riddler stuff.

Maybe he was referring to the extended ending which is doing something specific but you can't until you "clean up the city" first if I remember correctly which is finishing the side missions. It could also be that you're misremembering, I don't really remember what he said exactly so yeah.

Yeah I could be misremembering. Thanks for the answers.

danm999

I finished Arkham Knight this weekend so I'm fresh on how it goes.

If you care about 100%, play up until the last mission (the game will make it very obvious what the last mission is, a lot of "no going back; this is it" talk) then do all the side stuff, then the ending will flow into the true ending pretty easily.

Nero18

Unless you are a crazy person, there is zero value to doing all the side stuff. Some of them are good but others are just filler. Finish the game, watch the extra ending on YT, feel good about yourself.

Teddified

I finished Arkham Knight this weekend so I'm fresh on how it goes.

If you care about 100%, play up until the last mission (the game will make it very obvious what the last mission is, a lot of "no going back; this is it" talk) then do all the side stuff, then the ending will flow into the true ending pretty easily.
Good to know.

Unless you are a crazy person, there is zero value to doing all the side stuff. Some of them are good but others are just filler. Finish the game, watch the extra ending on YT, feel good about yourself.
I'm sorry, I am a crazy person.

Well, coming out the same day as Red Dead Redemption kinda didn't help Alan Wake. It would of been overlooked on any console platform.

I'm probably a crazy person as well too then. I enjoyed the game a whole bunch so more of it for free was a good thing to me.

Crazy hair throwback

2679990-beer+pong.jpg

1310944-longhaired_brad.jpg

2509432-throwback+ryan.jpg

VZTYDEA.png

2009762-e32002_frankandpatklepek.jpg

Vinny's hair is the calmest one.

Curufinwe

Tomb Raider: Anniversary, while sort of not really counting, is the best remake ever. That game is so true to what Tomb Raider was and is fucking great...especially when I played it like three years ago, just before playing TR2013. Anniversary kept her as that badass icon but made it control not like a game from the mid-90s.

Anniversary is great, particularly with manual grab.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
wow he nailed the spin jump and catch

when did he figure that out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom