• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Dropsy is ok, Read Only Memories is good, but not best of the year worthy (end credits are something special with the way that game ends, though). Undertale could be a contender, though funnily enough I've enjoyed a certain fan remix more than any single song from that OST.

My personal favourites that might get overlooked are Rebel Galaxy and Ori and the Blind Forest.

Rebel Galaxy's soundtrack was all licensed, it wouldn't be up for best original music.

"Hey guys can someone recommend me the most boring podcast ever? I don't like personality."

"Yeah the GameTrailers one is pretty good, they make up their personality by having fake reactions to things like Smash Brothers so its not real personality so its better and its always positive."

"Great thanks!"

Haunted

"Hey guys can someone recommend me the most boring podcast ever? I don't like personality."

"Yeah the GameTrailers one is pretty good, they make up their personality by having fake reactions to things like Smash Brothers so its not real personality so its better and its always positive."

"Great thanks!"
KYLE BOSMAN IS A GREAT ENTERTAINMENT PERSONALITY AND I WONT HEAR OTHERWISE

2uFSk6F.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
you guys should definitely keep talking about this thing the mods have told you not to talk about, this thing that also doesn't even exist.

I really don't understand why everyone is getting all sour because a guy who wants to listen to a video games podcast doesn't want to listen to things not about video games.

BearPawB

Banned
I like pointless chit chat.
I can listen to anyone talk factually talk about what games came out and what experiences they have with them.

There are so many podcasts. Just listen to the ones you want. No need for everyone to get all angsty

I really don't understand why everyone is getting all sour because a guy who wants to listen to a video games podcast doesn't want to listen to things not about video games.

You're right but I was a bit weirded out about how angry he seemed about in the OP. Then again, if it took me years to realise I always hated something, I suppose I would be angry too.

justjim89

Is Jeff's love for Burnout Paradise ironic or something? Anytime he proclaims it as the best game of last generation, I look up video of it and I just don't get it. I'll be the first to admit I don't understand car games. I've never had any fun ever driving a car in a video game. But what's the thing about Burnout Paradise that's so good?

Is Jeff's love for Burnout Paradise ironic or something? Anytime he proclaims it as the best game of last generation, I look up video of it and I just don't get it. I'll be the first to admit I don't understand car games. I've never had any fun ever driving a car in a video game. But what's the thing about Burnout Paradise that's so good?

Burnout Paradise is a masterpiece of modern interactive entertainment.

FluxWaveZ

He's often talked about how he played a ton of it during his time between GameSpot and Giant Bomb.

I did not like Burnout Paradise.

StoveOven

Banned

Burnout Paradise is a fantastic game that definitely appeals to Jeff's tastes, but I feel like a lot of his fondness for it has to do with it coming out around the same time that Giant Bomb was starting

Zaph

Hah, Atlus actually sends their press stuff to GB c/o Charlie Tunoku

It hovers around my top 3 of that gen. Utterly fantastic game

yami4ct

Burnout Paradise is the greatest arcade racer ever. This is in no way ironic.

FStop7

Banned

It's a boring game and the driving physics are super flat. I'll never understand the love it receives considering Burnout 3: Takedown was a better game on every level.

It's alright. It's no San Francisco Rush or Beetle Adventure Racing, but it's much better than most arcade racing games.

Edit: So Atlus
sends stuff to Jeff addressed as Charlie Tunoku
(mailbag spoilers)? That's great.

- Incredibly tight driving
- Great sense of speed
- Looked nice for the time and was locked at 60fps
- Tons of single player events
- Great city design with tons of shortcuts, alternate paths, and exploration
- Impressive post-launch support with lots of meaningful DLC, much of which was free
- Innovative multiplayer system that many games since have tried and failed to emulate
- Hey hey you you i don't like your girlfriend no way no way think you need a new one hey hey you you

Myggen

Also the online is a huge part of the appeal of Burnout Paradise, so if you pick it up now you'll likely miss the best part of the game. Paradise perfecting that type of online racing is probably also why Jeff has been harsher than most reviewers on the NFS games that has tried the same and failed.

On top of what everyone else said, I'll throw out there that EA/Criterion were very experimental with it with how they handled post release support. The game got a ton of free content over a long stretch of time plus a whole (paid for) new map expansion long before season passes were a thing. Its post release support was basically the prototypical season pass in a pretty amazing way.

- Incredibly tight driving
- Great sense of speed
- Looked nice for the time and was locked at 60fps
- Tons of single player events
- Great city design with tons of shortcuts, alternate paths, and exploration
- Impressive post-launch support with lots of meaningful DLC, much of which was free
- Innovative multiplayer system that many games since have tried and failed to emulate
- Hey hey you you i don't like your girlfriend no way no way think you need a new one hey hey you you

The exploration and the multiplayer were absolutely the best parts. That plus just driving around the city without jumping into an event gave you plenty of stuff to do, too. Getting billboards, finding shortcuts, or trying to set a best time on a stretch of road were all fun things to do.

That plus it had a lot of great DLC.

burnouttoycarz3.jpg

yami4ct

Also the online is a huge part of the appeal of Burnout Paradise, so if you pick it up now you'll likely miss the best part of the game. Paradise perfecting that type of online racing is probably also why Jeff has been harsher than most reviewers on the NFS games that has tried the same and failed.

The record stuff is really cool, but I never really dug the actual MP. The game is also amazing even without the cool record stuff.

Robaperas

It's a boring game and the driving physics are super flat. I'll never understand the love it receives considering Burnout 3: Takedown was a better game on every level.

Yep, I played it for a couple of hours and uninstalled it, I may give it another chance in the future... also, the intro music didn't help, GnR are foul.

I think I get it now, Burnout folks. I wasn't trying to be snide or anything, to be clear, I just don't understand car games.

I don't really care for car games either, but I will say that it's better than most. I got it free with a bundle and it was fun for about an hour or so.

FStop7

Banned
just like the destiny

talking about car games, hows forza 6? I kinda wanna get a car game with lotto wheels.

Drifty McOversteer: The Game

It's not Ridge Racer drifty but it's way looser than previous Forza games. It's dangerously close to arcade racer territory.

Oh, and do you like shitty aggressive on-rails AI? Because if you do then you're in for a treat. In order to advance your career you pretty much have to use Rewind because you're constantly being punted off of the track by AI cars.

Please keep Gametrailers shit out of giant bomb threads. Thanks, don't want us to be closed down.

giphy.gif

It's an amazing game and only those who were able to play with 4+ friends could experience just how awesome Burnout Paradise was. Also, the 360 camera had a funny feature where it would take a reaction picture of the person you took down lol. I saw some shit.

Why do people have to constantly bring it up to Jeff and try to make him care about things not worth caring about? lol, he said before he don't give a fuck and I'm sure most of us don't as well.

Drifty McOversteer: The Game

It's not Ridge Racer drifty but it's way looser than previous Forza games. It's dangerously close to arcade racer territory.

That sounds like a good thing. I remember spending hours on Wangan Maximum Tune back in the days.

Is it like that? Can I insert a paper card to save my car info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom