• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

santeesioux

Jason is right; Dan might like the entire Inbetweeners show now that I think about it.

Main character shits his pants during his final exam at high school. Another character projectile vomits onto a child's face at one point.

Dan will totally like that show. It used to be on Netflix too I think.

Cool! I'll keep an eye on them. Thanks Farebear.

Zif4zrO.jpg

Dude ain't lying.

KingKong

so theres this big set piece mission between three factions in Fallout 4 and it seems like its supposed to be a huge exciting all out battle

the only problem is its pretty easy to be favored with all three factions at that point, which means theyre all friendly and you just stroll in, do your objective and walk away

what a game

Anjin M

so theres this big set piece mission between three factions in Fallout 4 and it seems like its supposed to be a huge exciting all out battle

the only problem is its pretty easy to be favored with all three factions at that point, which means theyre all friendly and you just stroll in, do your objective and walk away

what a game

That actually sounds pretty cool.

yami4ct

"It is Nintendo's best video game since the Ocarina of Time"
- Jeff Gerstmann on Super Mario Maker

Game. Of. The. Year.

I was on the side of MGSV since that game hit, but I think on the Mario Maker side now. The momentum is too strong and it's lasted too long.

Brad's "I question how much of a game it is" line made me real sad. You're better than that. 'Not a game' or 'less of a game' is the worst kind of internet criticism ever.

danm999

Game. Of. The. Year.

GOTY confirmed and not joking.

I was on the side of MGSV since that game hit, but I think on the Mario Maker side now. The momentum is too strong and it's lasted too long.

Brad's "I question how much of a game it is" line made me real sad. You're better than that. 'Not a game' or 'less of a game' is the worst kind of internet criticism ever.

I hope Mr Walker shuts down talk like that.

daydream

Banned

brad will put out all the stops if he must, even if that means losing all credibility as 'person in videogames' for a moment

(i say this not having listened to his actual words on the b'cast, yet, and just going off your post)

yami4ct

brad will put out all the stops if he must, even if that means losing all credibility as 'person in videogames' for a moment

(i say this not having listened to his actual words on the b'cast, yet, and just going off your post)

I like Brad a lot, but he definitely can devolve into internet fanboy silliness. Like I said 'not a game' is easily the worst internet criticism. It's a worthless discussion and a professional games writer should not be encouraging it.

daydream

Banned
I like Brad a lot, but he definitely can devolve into internet fanboy silliness. Like I said 'not a game' is easily the worst internet criticism. It's a worthless discussion and a professional games writer should not be encouraging it.

i mean, i get it, gotycast is a strategical battle of a) putting your own picks in the spotlight and b) stageing oneself in the process so i can't really blame him or anyone else for trying to muddy the waters in the hopes of confusing things and changing the tide

i'd do the same if i thought game x was better than game y

it's just that particular argument (which is so devoid of substance) that has an unsavoury connotation, especially with regard to a certain group of people who are wont to fall back on it

Myggen

i mean, i get it, gotycast is a strategical battle of a) putting your own picks in the spotlight and b) stageing oneself in the process so i can't really blame him or anyone else for trying to muddy the waters in the hopes of confusing things and changing the tide

it's just that particular argument (which is so devoid of substance) that has an unsavoury connotation, especially with regard to a certain group of people who are wont to fall back on it

We'll see how he plays it come GOTY. It was just one sentence here, preview for the GOTY talks.

tchocky

Didn't Jeff say something similar with regards to Gone Home during the GOTY casts along the lines of "I really like it but I'm not sure how much of a game it is".

daydream

Banned
We'll see how he plays it come GOTY. It was just one sentence here, preview for the GOTY talks.

either way, things will probably get heated and between the casts and the thread, stump and i will have enough fire to keep us comfy through the holidays

Didn't Jeff say something similar with regards to Gone Home during the GOTY casts along the lines of "I really like it but I'm not sure how much of a game it is".

don't remember but it doesn't seem like something jeff would say, hm

Only now catching up with Beastcast, it's fantastic, by the way, and they never talk Super Mario Maker. I can see the deliberations ending with passion v majority. Therefore, Persona 4 Dancing All Night is the one true GOTY.

Dineren

Banned
Finally got around to trying Jeff's latest Mario Maker level and it is a nightmare. I don't think I'll ever get the timing down on jumping off a p-switch midair. Thankfully after finishing the first section a few times the legit way I found an exploit to skip right to the next part so I can at least practice it reliably.

I'm curious if it is an exploit actually or if Jeff designed it like that on purpose in the hopes people would waste their time on his little p-switch puzzle.

Zornack

Konami's treatment of the game post-release will end up souring that game come GOTY. But hey #2 ain't no slouch.

Most of the crew stopped playing Skryim because of issues brought on by patches and it still defeated the game Jeff has been most hot on since I started following Giant Bomb.

Never underestimate Brad.

hamchan

what a game

Yep and it was awesome. Informed every faction so they all fought each other while I just walked straight through it all like a badass.

yami4ct

Exactly my thought. Dumb arguments and criticism happens in GOTY. It's expected, acceptable and can even be fun. The problem is just with that particular argument. It is both completely insubstantial and has been coopted by a particularly awful set of people.

Myggen

Exactly my thought. Dumb arguments and criticism happens in GOTY. It's expected, acceptable and can even be fun. The problem is just with that particular argument. It is both completely insubstantial and has been coopted by a particularly awful set of people.

But let's see how it's used before jumping to those conclusions. He probably doesn't mean it in the Gone Home is not a game kind of way.

yami4ct

But let's see how it's used before jumping to those conclusions. He probably doesn't mean it in the Gone Home is not a game kind of way.

It probably won't come out, but I feel like pulling out any degree of 'is it a game?' or 'more or less of a game' doesn't work. Things can be more or less interactive, but arguing over degrees of belonging in the 'game' category is a useless semantic endeavor.

What game was Brad talking about?

Mario Maker.

Myggen

It probably won't come out, but I feel like pulling out any degree of 'is it a game?' or 'more or less of a game' doesn't work. Things can be more or less interactive, but arguing over degrees of belonging in the 'game' category is a useless semantic endeavor.

But again, I doubt he meant it literally like that. Anyways, gonna wait for GOTY.

Anth0ny

Game. Of. The. Year.

MGSV is a shoo-in for GOTY, but I expect Jeff to make a strong case for Mario Maker. lol

yup. said that before even listening to this bombcast lol

it'll be MGSV vs. Mario Maker in a battle to the death

Jeff's crazy Nintendo opinions never cease to amaze me. I didn't even think Mario Maker was the best Nintendo game this year. It probably wouldn't even crack the top 50 Nintendo games since Ocarina of Time.

yami4ct

But again, I doubt he meant it literally like that. Anyways, gonna wait for GOTY.

Random speculation: I bet he's going to argue is less than because it doesn't include that many great levels and is just the toolset, relying on the community to do the great work. If so, it's a valid way of thinking, but I don't think it will hold water with the group.

I do hope he words it as poorly as he can during the Bombcast just so Austin can tear the argument to shreds.

Zornack

As awful as Blizzard has handled its franchises' story over the past decade, Alarak is pretty cool and John de Lancie gives a great performance. I hope he shows up in Best New Character.

Dineren

Banned
I actually thought the Nintendo designed levels included in Mario Maker were pretty fun Even if there weren't enough and they were a bit short. Hopefully they'll continue to put out event courses at a decent pace.

yami4ct

Hard to see him picking anything but MGSV. He did give it a 5/5 after all

But it'll probably be Destiny.

Destiny will likely be Brad's personal GOTY. The salt when it's inevitably disqualified from the Top 10 list is going to be the best. He sounds kind of down on MGSV on this podcast, so I'm excited to see where it'll rate.

Destiny will likely be Brad's personal GOTY. The salt when it's inevitably disqualified from the Top 10 list is going to be the best. He sounds kind of down on MGSV on this podcast, so I'm excited to see where it'll rate.

"THERE'S AS MUCH VIDEO GAME IN THE TAKEN KING AS MARIO MAKER"

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Huh just got to the question that specifically asks about how the MGSV updates effect things, I did not expect quite as blase of a consensus from everyone

Tagyhag

I'm interested in seeing how Austin does during the GOTY talks.

Things can get pretty heated and I don't know if he'll be willing to step on some toes to get his points across.

Jeff's crazy Nintendo opinions never cease to amaze me. I didn't even think Mario Maker was the best Nintendo game this year. It probably wouldn't even crack the top 50 Nintendo games since Ocarina of Time.

It's hard to think of 49 other Nintendo games that could beat the combined powers of SMB/SMB3/SMW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom