• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgminto

The stuff Konami is doing with MGSV is bad but it also really doesn't matter for the core of the game. It basically comes down to how much you care about getting slightly better weapon parts.

Jintor

one thing i think is interesting about fallout 4 is that i think they've gotten to a good balance with the 'you can't go in any fucking buildings' problem from fallout 3 and the 'there aren't actually any buildings really' problem in new vegas when making a ruined cityscape. boston downtown is a really good level of inaccessible buildings broken up with a lot of in-world accessible buildings and a couple of great setpiece buildings here and there.

yami4ct

The stuff Konami is doing with MGSV is bad but it also really doesn't matter for the core of the game. It basically comes down to how much you care about getting slightly better weapon parts.

That's kind of where I'm at. The top tier parts never ended up being worth it to me, so I can't say it really would've made my experience worse. It's still absolutely horseshit. I think MGSV is still my GOTY, but it's going to be hard to choose between it, Monster Hunter, Life is Strange, and Trails in the Sky SC.

The way they've handled the online FOB stuff on PC is way more egregious for me. That's been a problem since the begging and if anything is going to sour me enough to knock MGSV out of my top slot, it's that.

convo

you see the problem with MGSV is that I don't think it's the best game released this year

Most things done to the game after the launch should make the crew reconsider, but i still think it's going to be a top ten game.
It could be part of the most disappointing list simply to the volume of people raging about it that they at least have to consider it. I wonder if there are people upset about MGSV's perfect score at GiantBomb.

Most things done to the game after the launch should make the crew reconsider, but i still think it's going to be a top ten game.
It could be part of the most disappointing list simply to the volume of people raging about it that they at least have to consider it. I wonder if there are people upset about MGSV's perfect score at GiantBomb.

There's always people upset at every score at everywhere.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Oh there's no way it doesn't still make top 10. Hell, what else would even take second place? Most of the crew is more positive on Fallout 4 than it looks like they expected but even still

Yeah but I think it really bothers them from their position as professional critics. Jeff's reaction to the "conspiracy theory" that publishers are holding off on implementing things like these until after the reviews go live was pretty telling

Yeah, I expect Fallout 4 to hit around mid-list simply because nobody is disappointed with it. They all like it but so far, it doesn't seem like anyone feels strongly about it.

the game kind of is what everyone expected it to be, and I feel like that's rare for a release these days. It's almost like an assassin's creed release, except there was actual excitement due to the fact that they don't release a fallout game every year.

I'm loving the game, but I'm not having this visceral reaction to it like I had with TW3.

yami4ct

Yeah, I expect Fallout 4 to hit around mid-list simply because nobody is disappointed with it. They all like it but so far, it doesn't seem like anyone feels strongly about it.

the game kind of is what everyone expected it to be, and I feel like that's rare for a release these days. It's almost like an assassin's creed release, except there was actual excitement due to the fact that they don't release a fallout game every year.

I'm loving the game, but I'm not having this visceral reaction to it like I had with TW3.

I was thinking Fallout as a mid-to-end list contender prior to hearing Austin's thoughts. I think he might get it pushed to Top 5. The console versions will keep it out of Top 3 I think, though.

chrixter

Until recently I felt like the experience Jeff and Dan were having with Mario Maker was unreachable for an average player like me because of how difficult it can be to get people to play your levels. But it turns out there are dozens of Mario Maker streams every day, most of which take viewer submissions. So the past few evenings I've been able to get around a dozen streamers to play a level and it's literally a game changing experience. As Jeff said in his SMM article a month ago, watching people play and enjoy and react to something you've created is fucking awesome, and it's rejuvenated my interest in making levels so I can watch people play them. It's what makes SMM a transcendent game.

I was thinking Fallout as a mid-to-end list contender prior to hearing Austin's thoughts. I think he might get it pushed to Top 5. The console versions will keep it out of Top 3 I think, though.

Ah, I don't listen to the beastcast so I missed his thoughts. Anyone have a timestamp?

Or maybe I'll just listen to the cast while I play Blops 3.

Until recently I felt like the experience Jeff and Dan were having with Mario Maker was unreachable for an average player like me because of how difficult it can be to get people to play your levels. But it turns out there are dozens of Mario Maker streams every day, most of which take viewer submissions. So the past few evenings I've been able to get around a dozen streamers to play a level and it's literally a game changing experience. As Jeff said in his SMM article a month ago, watching people play and enjoy and react to something you've created is fucking awesome, and it's rejuvenated my interest in making levels so I can watch people play them. It's what makes SMM a transcendent game.

I'd assume it's mostly smaller streamers, right? I mean, the experience doesn't change if the level you made is getting played by a large steamer or by a small one, and you'd probably have trouble getting your level played on a large stream.

But that's a really interesting viewpoint, and one I hadn't considered before. I think it would hold a little more merit if EVERYONE had the tools to be streaming Super Mario Maker, and could be on both ends of that viewer/streamer dynamic, but obviously that's one way to get your levels played.

Where SMM fails for me (as someone who hasn't played it, admittedly) Is that I simply don't find level creation very fun. I'm not a creative guy. My settlement in Fallout 4 is just some benches and some food so the people I have there won't get upset.

Jintor

The main thing I'll say about the Witcher is that it kinda drags. Like... it takes a long time to do stuff.
Maybe it's a weird downside of everything feeling important. Everything was important, so it felt like the game's pacing was completely whack, because instead of your standard rise and fall of importance it was just all geralt all the time.

Haunted

It'll be beautiful when they disqualify Taken King off-hand in the first couple minutes of deliberation because it's DLC. Destiny is pretty much a lock for 2015's 2014 game of the year or old game of the year of whatever they call that category.

Haunted

Where SMM fails for me (as someone who hasn't played it, admittedly) Is that I simply don't find level creation very fun. I'm not a creative guy. My settlement in Fallout 4 is just some benches and some food so the people I have there won't get upset.
I'm not a level creator guy, but I spent more time in Mario Maker's creation mode than any other game of that ilk, ever.

It's that deep familiarity with Mario mechanics over the last 20 years that makes it possible to have fun creating as well as playing levels. It makes the kind of Mario game possible that Nintendo could never create.

There's still room for improvement, of course. Yoshi's Island assets. Better community tools, better search parameters, the ability for world map design and "complete packages" to download instead of singular, disconnected levels.

But what's there is a pretty fucking great achievement.

chrixter

I'd assume it's mostly smaller streamers, right? I mean, the experience doesn't change if the level you made is getting played by a large steamer or by a small one, and you'd probably have trouble getting your level played on a large stream.

But that's a really interesting viewpoint, and one I hadn't considered before. I think it would hold a little more merit if EVERYONE had the tools to be streaming Super Mario Maker, and could be on both ends of that viewer/streamer dynamic, but obviously that's one way to get your levels played.

Yeah, native Wii U streaming functionality would've been a massive boon for Mario Maker.

I also don't consider myself the creative type and never expected to touch the level editor much, yet I've spent countless hours making stuff. It's incredibly addictive and satisfying.

hamchan

Even then it could be hard to see it in the top 5.
MGSV and Mario Maker are a lock. That leaves for top 5 positions Undertale, Rocket League, Splatoon, Axiom Verge, Rise of the Tomb Raider and whatever else I'm missing,

yami4ct

Even then it could be hard to see it in the top 5.
MGSV and Mario Maker are a lock. That leaves for top 5 positions Undertale, Rocket League, Splatoon, Axiom Verge, Rise of the Tomb Raider and whatever else I'm missing,

Axiom Verge won't make Top 5. Only Jeff was super duper hot on it and it came out so long ago that it will probably get a bit forgotten.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Axiom Verge won't make Top 5. Only Jeff was super duper hot on it and it came out so long ago that it will probably get a bit forgotten.

I don't seem Tomb Raider either. Its in the same spot as Fallout 4 where people are enjoying it more than they thought they would, but no-one seems super in love with it, unless I'm forgetting someone

justjim89

How I see it going:

1. MGSV (ugh.)
2. Mario Maker
3. Rocket League
4. Fallout 4
5. Galak-Z
6. Bloodborne
7. The Witcher 3
8. Undertale
9. Splatoon
10. Taken King (they'll break their own rule for it, and you're adorable if you think otherwise)

Anth0ny

How I see it going:

1. MGSV (ugh.)
2. Mario Maker
3. Rocket League
4. Fallout 4
5. Galak-Z
6. Bloodborne
7. The Witcher 3
8. Undertale
9. Splatoon
10. Taken King (they'll break their own rule for it, and you're adorable if you think otherwise)

I think that top 3 is a lock, for sure.

What did the crew think of Bloodborne? I forget. I know Jeff doesn't care for it or any of the other Souls games, what about everyone else?

I think that top 3 is a lock, for sure.

What did the crew think of Bloodborne? I forget. I know Jeff doesn't care for it or any of the other Souls games, what about everyone else?

They all liked it to varying degrees, even Jeff, though he stopped playing it. Seems like a solid middle pick.

hamchan

I think Jeff's support is all a game needs to get a top 5 spot tbh.

I don't seem Tomb Raider either. Its in the same spot as Fallout 4 where people are enjoying it more than they thought they would, but no-one seems super in love with it, unless I'm forgetting someone

That's exactly why it's competition for Fallout 4 and not above it. I always feel they've been talking about Tomb Raider in a more positive tone than they have Fallout.

How I see it going:

1. MGSV (ugh.)
2. Mario Maker
3. Rocket League
4. Fallout 4
5. Galak-Z
6. Bloodborne
7. The Witcher 3
8. Undertale
9. Splatoon

Enough of them really liked Until Dawn to make me think it could sneak in. Crazy thing is neither Rocket League nor Until Dawn ever got reviews from them, yet either (or both) could still end up top-ten.

StoveOven

Banned
Enough of them really liked Until Dawn to make me think it could sneak in. Crazy thing is neither Rocket League nor Until Dawn ever got reviews from them, yet either (or both) could still end up top-ten.

Yeah, I think Until Dawn has more than a fair shot to make it. The East Coast team, Brad, and Jason all liked it enough to get it on the bottom half of the list.

Tan

How I see it going:

1. MGSV (ugh.)
2. Mario Maker
3. Rocket League
4. Fallout 4
5. Galak-Z
6. Bloodborne
7. The Witcher 3
8. Undertale
9. Splatoon

I feel like Austin's the only one who stuck with Galak-Z, did any of the rest of them really seem that enthused about it? I don't remember.

Yo, you know what's great? The second campaign level of Black Ops 3. They're introducing you to all the future shit you can do now through the frame of you entering a simulation of a past terrorist attack, and events leading up to that terrorist attack. They put you in a past situation with all your new tech and are like "your new tech could have prevented this by doing this, and this, and this, but it took the real guys 2 weeks because they didn't have what you have."

The gameplay is fine, but the framing is just so neat. and I feel like the character interactions are pretty good too. It's so...black ops. If you don't plan on playing the game take a look at the level on youtube or something.

derFeef

So Paypal is only available to new subscribers. Rorie offered me to cancel my sub and I can re-sub with paypal. Nice but they should fix that imho.

I think MGSV is still my GOTY, but it's going to be hard to choose between it, Monster Hunter, Life is Strange, and Trails in the Sky SC.

That's how I feel. So many games I loved this year (Trails especially has been living up to the hype I've been keeping inside since I've finished FC 2 years ago) that's its hard to choose, but I don't think I enjoyed a game as much as MGSV in a really long time.

Quentyn

Didn't know anything about Amiibo Festival so I checked out the few reviews that are out right now. And oh boy, it gets torn apart in all of them.

Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival is the sort of game that should have been free. It holds such little content that is actually interesting that most players will find it a waste of their time to play, especially when the far superior Mario Party series already exists

Metacritic is at 35. It still could change when more reviews come in, but as of right now it is the worst reviewed game in Nintendo history.

Houndi101

So I'm helping Dan discover Iron Maiden on twitter (following a question on the live stream) and I just realized that youn Bruce Dickinson with long hair kinda looks a bit like Brad lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg9aQvjMS60

5226231_orig.jpg

Welp you're right

hamchan

Didn't know anything about Amiibo Festival so I checked out the few reviews that are out right now. And oh boy, it gets torn apart in all of them.

Metacritic is at 35. It still could change when more reviews come in, but as of right now it is the worst reviewed game in Nintendo history.

When Mario Party is described as "far superior" to anything then you know it's bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom