• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Destiny will likely be Brad's personal GOTY. The salt when it's inevitably disqualified from the Top 10 list is going to be the best. He sounds kind of down on MGSV on this podcast, so I'm excited to see where it'll rate.

I haven't listened to the podcast so I can't really comment.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I haven't listened to the podcast so I can't really comment.

They don't really get into it much, the interesting stuff is mostly
-Brad making it clear that he's going to raise "how much of a game is it?" wrt Mario Maker
-The group all agreeing that MGSV has to be judged in its current updated state, not in the state it released at
-Everyone basically thinking GOTY is going to be great this year

Destiny will likely be Brad's personal GOTY. The salt when it's inevitably disqualified from the Top 10 list is going to be the best. He sounds kind of down on MGSV on this podcast, so I'm excited to see where it'll rate.

They always do a "best old game" or something along those lines. Brad will make the case for Destiny there and will probably hold himself from bringing it up during GOTY proper.

They don't really get into it much, the interesting stuff is mostly
-Brad making it clear that he's going to raise "how much of a game is it?" wrt Mario Maker
-The group all agreeing that MGSV has to be judged in its current updated state, not in the state it released at
-Everyone basically thinking GOTY is going to be great this year

The thing with MGSV is that since they all already beat it, they're not gonna feel any kind of ramifications from it since they have FOBs/Security teams/etc. already and the microtransactions won't do anything for them. They'd have to replay the game to see the more icky stuff and the differences, which I don't think any of them are willing to do at this point. And it doesn't seem like its been affecting Drew's playthrough, though I'm lagging a bit behind on episodes.

yami4ct

They always do a "best old game" or something along those lines. Brad will make the case for Destiny there and will probably hold himself from bringing it up during GOTY proper.

As much as he liked it this year, Brad will get greedy and argue that The Taken King should count as a new game. Mark me words. That's exactly the kind of move he'd make.

The thing with MGSV is that since they all already beat it, they're not gonna feel any kind of ramifications from it since they have FOBs/Security teams/etc. already and the microtransactions won't do much for them. They'd have to replay the game to see the more icky stuff and the differences, which I don't think any of them are willing to do at this point. And it doesn't seem like its been effecting Drew's playthrough, though I'm lagging a bit behind on episodes.

Brad has already said he thinks the new updates are really shitty and Dan is experiencing them along with Drew, so he's directly seeing them. If the GBEast team works more through the game, they'll be seeing it post update as well.

Dineren

Banned
I'll be curious to hear Brad's arguments about Mario Maker. Does he elaborate at all during the podcast or is he saving it for GOTY? It seems like there are plenty of people who just don't mess with the editor at all and just play user created levels (of which there are a ton, even if the quality varies) so that argument seems a bit odd.

tchocky

I'll be curious to hear Brad's arguments about Mario Maker. Does he elaborate at all during the podcast or is he saving it for GOTY? It seems like there are plenty of people who just don't mess with the editor at all and just play user created levels (of which there are a ton, even if the quality varies) so that argument seems a bit odd.

All he said was he doesn't want to tip his hat but he questions how much of a game MM is and then he changed subjects.

yami4ct

Really? That's super weird given they've gone the exact opposite way in past years.

Yeah I was sort of surprised but it was an email question and everyone just sort of said "yeah no we have to judge it as it is now" without any argument

I think the fact that there's no going back to the way the game was because it's so heavily tied to the online experience definitely colors that judgement. This isn't a situation where you can boot the console offline and have the same experience the crew did a few months ago.

JC3 QL tomorrow? That's cool. I hope we get a Xenoblade X one soon as well with Austin playing it.

Brad has already said he thinks the new updates are really shitty and Dan is experiencing them along with Drew, so he's directly seeing them. If the GBEast team works more through the game, they'll be seeing it post update as well.

Huh, well GOTY not much farther now. I'm excited for the salt regardless of who wins.

Except Witcher fans, they're certainly not gonna win. And the anger of that game possibly not even making the 10 will be hilarious to see.

yami4ct

JC3 QL tomorrow? That's cool. I hope we get a Xenoblade X one soon as well with Austin playing it.

Huh, well GOTY not much farther now. I'm excited for the salt regardless of who wins.

Except Witcher fans, they're certainly not gonna win. And the anger of that game possibly not even making the 10 will be hilarious to see.

Jason made a Witcher 3 joke on this Bombcast and, not gonna lie, it hurt a little. Jeff said he was going to revisit it before GOTY this year so there's a tiny micron of a chance it cracks the Top 10. It won't be where it deserves, but it might make it in.

Jason made a Witcher 3 joke on this Bombcast and, not gonna lie, it hurt a little. Jeff said he was going to revisit it before GOTY this year so there's a tiny micron of a chance it cracks the Top 10. It won't be where it deserves, but it might make it in.

All these podcasts teases. I might need to start this earlier than my commute and listen to Adventure Zone tomorrow instead.

The possibility of Jeff being the only one to really like the game would be pretty hilarious though.

yami4ct

gonna be one salty thread after both Undertale and Life is Strange dont even make the top 10

I think Undertale is a near certainty in the Top 10. Austin loves it, Dan really likes it, Jeff is playing it now (and I think will probably end up liking it) and Brad says he's gonna check it out. It'll make it in just by the fact it's one of the few games such a large portion of the crew has played.

Life is Strange will be the real tragedy. Come on GBEast crew! Get on it!

Sometimes you gotta be bad to get what you want.

tumblr_nnlea2n2O71qfnp35o6_500.png

yami4ct

Sheds a tear for Tales from the Borderlands

I wonder if Austin will actually really dig into it like he said he would after playing Episode 1 for Extra Life?*

*he almost certainly will not play a significant amount prior to GOTY.

Definitely interested in picking that one up some time. Probably will grab it on a steam sale.

I wonder if Austin will actually really dig into it like he said he was after playing Episode 1 for Extra Life?*

Definitely interested in picking that one up some time. Probably will grab it on a steam sale.

Choose Our Own Adventure to the rescue!

Unfortunately I won't vote for it because I'd actually like to watch whatever they choose... and watching them play a game I've beaten feels wrong.

I wonder if Austin will actually really dig into it like he said he was after playing Episode 1 for Extra Life?*

Maybe he's just having so much fun with Xenoblade X that he completely forgot about Tales from the Borderlands, but will still get back to it before GOTY

;_;

Volcynika

Dan mentioned on his Fallout 4 stream that he's gonna make a podcast with his dad and girlfriend during the Thanksgiving break. Sounds like quality content to me!

Dan mentioned on his Fallout 4 stream that he's gonna make a podcast with his dad and girlfriend during the Thanksgiving break. Sounds like quality content to me!

Oooh that sounds interesting. EVERYONE BE DRUNK

Take a shot every time his dad tells the girlfriend to not have kids
Take a shot when Dan mentions one of his dads many wives

chrixter

Some people doubt TTK will make their top 10? Unless there's something in today's Bombcast that indicates otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised if it's top 5. Brad obviously loves it, Dan really enjoyed it and said it's making his top 10, and there's a good chance it'll be on Jeff's and Austin's lists. That's a strong enough core for it to sound like a lock to me, unless GB's wildly unpredictable politicking results in it being dropped to make room for personal favorites.

Also, Reaper of Souls wasn't disqualified last year so I don't see why TTK would be DQ'd this year.

yami4ct

Is that one of those darn "games for change?"

Can we talk about how bad that category name is? It's sooo bad. When I first saw it, I don't think it remotely describes what the games in the category are going for and actively makes them sound way worse.

Some people doubt TTK will make their top 10? Unless there's something in today's Bombcast that indicates otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised if it's top 5. Brad obviously loves it, Dan really enjoyed it and said it's making his top 10, and there's a good chance it'll be on Jeff's and Austin's lists. That's a strong enough core for it to sound like a lock to me, unless GB's wildly unpredictable politicking results in it being dropped to make room for personal favorites.

Also, Reaper of Souls wasn't disqualified last year so I don't see why TTK would be DQ'd this year.

If I remember correctly, Diablo III:UEE got cut fairly early on. If it actually made it up to bat, I'm almost certain they would've ended up DQing it for being basically a GOTY edition.

The weird thing about Mario Maker is that although I love 2D Mario games, it's actually one of my least played Wii U games. It's fun to watch people make levels and to watch people play them, but it's not all that fun to make them if you don't have other people playing them and actually playing the levels is typically a chore. I love the idea of Mario Maker, but to me it's nowhere near as good as MGS V, which is ironic considering I'm a huge Nintendo fan and pretty much swore off the MGS series after 2.

Anth0ny

It's hard to think of 49 other Nintendo games that could beat the combined powers of SMB/SMB3/SMW.

well if you consider mario maker to be that then sure

I've yet to come across any levels that rival the official levels created by the geniuses behind those original Mario games, though

mario maker just doesn't really appeal to me. I have little interest in making my own stages, nor any interest in playing random stages made by random people

The weird thing about Mario Maker is that although I love 2D Mario games, it's actually one of my least played Wii U games. It's fun to watch people make levels and to watch people play them, but it's not all that fun to make them if you don't have other people playing them and actually playing the levels is typically a chore. I love the idea of Mario Maker, but to me it's nowhere near as good as MGS V, which is ironic considering I'm a huge Nintendo fan and pretty much swore off the MGS series after 2.

Exactly. It's definitely fun to watch GB do their thing with the game, but personally, I wouldn't even have it on my GOTY list.

I've completely flipped on this. I haven't played Mario Maker. I don't even like 2D Mario a whole lot. But Konami keeps making MGSV worse and worse with every update. Mario Maker is only getting better.

yami4ct

I've completely flipped on this. I haven't played Mario Maker. I don't even like 2D Mario a whole lot. But Konami keeps making MGSV worse and worse with every update. Mario Maker is only getting better.

Have they done anything else past the GMP rebalance? I know they added some new upgrades that cost a ludicrous amount of GMP, but to me that upgrade doesn't hurt the single player enough to warrant dropping it. The GMP rebalance was straight up bullshit, though.

chrixter

If I remember correctly, Diablo III:UEE got cut fairly early on. If it actually made it up to bat, I'm almost certain they would've ended up DQing it for being basically a GOTY edition.
Dunno about that. Indeed it was cut early since no one felt passionately enough to argue otherwise, but Jeff did say he expected it to return to the discussion because he wasn't sure they'd find 10 better games. It ended up #5 on Jeff's list.

Have they done anything else past the GMP rebalance? I know they added some new upgrades that cost a ludicrous amount of GMP, but to me that upgrade doesn't hurt the single player enough to warrant dropping it. The GMP rebalance was straight up bullshit, though.

They put a huge chunk of your resources and GMP into online escrow, so more than ever can be stolen. To help mitigate this increased risk that they created, they're selling insurance. That you have to keep paying for. With real money.

tuxfool

Banned
well if you consider mario maker to be that then sure

I've yet to come across any levels that rival the official levels created by the geniuses behind those original Mario games, though

mario maker just doesn't really appeal to me. I have little interest in making my own stages, nor any interest in playing random stages made by random people

I agree. There are some neat levels in MM but the game itself lacks the coherence found in things like SMB3 or SMW. It is a shame that you cannot create a themed set or do world map kind of stuff.

The modes that do exist are little more than roulettes of individual levels, which also get boring quickly due to the repeating art and assets. Honestly, the little I've seen of MM has already bored me.

yami4ct

Dunno about that. Indeed it was cut early since no one felt passionately enough to argue otherwise, but Jeff did say he expected it to return to the discussion because he wasn't sure they'd find 10 better games. It ended up #5 on Jeff's list.

Personal lists don't have the same rules as the official GOTY list, so it could've still ended up being DQed and Jeff could've put it on his top 10. I put money on The Taken King getting DQed this year, especially given the list cutting is going to be way more brutal.

They put a huge chunk of your resources and GMP into online escrow, so more than ever can be stolen. To help mitigate this increased risk that they created, they're selling insurance. That you have to keep paying for. With real money.

I knew that one. I just didn't know if they engaged in any more fuckery since then. I don't think that change ruins the game, but it is complete bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom