• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the discussion on previous MGScanlons was about the story, so...

Speaking of which, Drew should go into negative GMP at some point to see one of the best cutscenes in the game (this one, spoilers obv)

justjim89

There's like nothing to talk about in MGSV.

Oh look, another wide open base filled with guards to fulton.

Oh look, I tried sneaking then shot everyone.

Oh look, the trickle of story the game actually gives you is complete garbage.

It's a dull game.

It's a dull game.

I dunno, it's generated alotta discussion over on gaming side. Even more so than some other GotY contenders, I'd say.

hamchan

Yeah, I feel like people post the link when it goes up and then nobody talks about it. Pretty stark difference from previous MGScanlons.

Predicted this was how Scanlon V would go. It's just not a very interesting game to watch compared to the previous games which were mostly cutscenes.

Houndi101

Without watching any V eps I'm just glad Drew is enjoying the gameplay for the first time.
He is right? Actually I did watch the GZ episode and he seemed to like it.

Ok, I just got to MGScanlon Episode 13 and this sequence is great.

Dan: I have one specific person I'm thinking of, you can ask ye-
Drew: Are you a man?
Drew: Are you alive?
Drew: Evel Kneivel.
Dan: FUCK YOU! What? Really?
Drew: Is that who you were thinking o-
Dan: Yes! What the fuck just happened?

I just got to this part too. Dan and Drew are the same person.

All this Metal Gear and wrestling must have tainted Drew.

I just got to this part too. Dan and Drew are the same person.

All this Metal Gear and wrestling must have tainted Drew.

2686582-ok.gif

Loxley

It's a dull game.

I think it's a dull game to watch when the player just ends up shooting everything. But MGSV is much like the first Crysis - in the hands of the right player it can be a fucking blast to see the different strategies folks have come up with for accomplishing the various tasks set before the player.

I'd love to watch more MGScanlon, but they're already past where I am in the game. I've been playing it every week since launch and just now opened up FOBs. It's a crazy long game.

Jintor

imagine a game with the gameplay of mgsv but actually being rewarding of exploration like fallout 4

drool

...it'd never work

Jintor

i have to say though even though fallout 4's exploration design is really amazing in gameplay terms its really crummily designed tbh. Not a lot of interesting open ways to do things. They're all story sets instead of gameplay sandboxes. Which is okay, I guess, but still.

The Witcher 3 is pretty cool, yeah.

funny story... best playing witcher game, still not super great to actually play.

I keep trying to convince myself that maybe I should buy TW3, especially when its gonna be like 20 bucks soon, but the idea of a game like TW2 but 5 times longer pushes me away. 2 already felt like it was dragging its feet, but at least it didn't overstay its welcome.

And the game wasn't even good honestly.

funny story... best playing witcher game, still not super great to actually play.

Is it revisionist history when we're actually living it? It's gone from "the movement is too GTA" to "combat is no fun." It's not a well balanced game, but c'mon, neither is MGSV.

Edit: Y'know, thinking about it, this is really the year that "Balance" as a game design concept/pillar of development died for AAAA+ games. It's bumming me out.

Bacon

Is it revisionist history when we're actually living it? It's gone from "the movement is too GTA" to "combat is no fun." It's not a well balanced game, but c'mon, neither is MGSV.

Edit: Y'know, thinking about it, this is really the year that "Balance" as a game design concept/pillar of development died for AAAA+ games. It's bumming me out.

I don't understand your argument. The gameplay in Witcher 3 is nowhere near as good as MGSV. There is no revision going on here.

Is it revisionist history when we're actually living it? It's gone from "the movement is too GTA" to "combat is no fun."

I don't think its a case of revisionist history. When your game is really long, people's opinion on it changes as they keep playing and the combat didn't do enough for people to keep them interested, even if first impressions of it might have been higher.

Jintor

I'm being perfectly consistent on my stance on how fun I found the Witcher to actually play.

*cue post history detectives in 3, 2, 1...*

Alfredo

I've actually been using Metal Gear Scanlon V is sort of a tutorial for MGS V. I've been too lazy to look up or not observant enough to notice certain things in the game, so I just wait 'til Dan explains it to Drew. Like, I had played the game for many many hours before learning that deploying cost resources or that I could do online combat development missions from Dan talking about them. (Of course, I know enough not to just slam guys on the ground with CQC :p).

I'm excited that they're around the FOB stuff, so maybe I'll finally understand what the heck is going on there.

Bacon

I've actually been using Metal Gear Scanlon V is sort of a tutorial for MGS V. I've been too lazy to look up or not observant enough to notice certain things in the game, so I just wait 'til Dan explains it to Drew. Like, I had played the game for many many hours before learning that deploying cost resources or that I could do online combat development missions from Dan talking about them. (Of course, I know enough not to just slam guys on the ground with CQC :p).

I'm excited that they're around the FOB stuff, so maybe I'll finally understand what the heck is going on there.

you should also be told that riot smg is the worst gun in the game and should never be used

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Man, Dan's obstinate stance on being as blue collar as possible, to the point of obsession really, is kind of fascinating really.

He doesn't realise that his anti fashion stance is so strong that it wraps around to being fashion.

I don't think its a case of revisionist history. When your game is really long, people's opinion on it changes as they keep playing and the combat didn't do enough for people to keep them interested, even if first impressions of it might have been higher.
This is why everyone should see MGSV's problems... because that's exactly what happened to me while playing it (replacing 'combat' with 'encounter deisgn'). But, yeah, you make a great point. Pah, opinions.

It'll be great when GotY finally decides everything scientifically. I will be devastated.

This is why everyone should see MGSV's problems... because that's exactly what happened to me while playing it (replacing 'combat' with 'encounter deisgn'). But, yeah, you make a great point. Pah, opinions.

It'll be great when GotY finally decides everything scientifically. I will be devastated.

Opinions are the worst I know. But when Destiny wins GOTY we can only accept that as scientific proof that its the greatest game ever made.

I'm being perfectly consistent on my stance on how fun I found the Witcher to actually play.

*cue post history detectives in 3, 2, 1...*

Witcher 3 is the greatest playing video game ever

smh.

StoveOven

Banned
How many sick Arkham Knight burns were there on his stream, I haven't watched it yet. Surely there were a few.

There was one early on that I remember him responding to with something along the lines of "Oh look, our first Arkham Knight joke. How clever." I don't remember many past that, but I was also pretty tired

So I did the survey they've got going and there's always at least one super American question in these. Like three of the restaurants they mentioned even exist here, I put "NEVER" in all but one of them.

Man, just finsihed the Amiibo Festival Festival, and that may be the worst game Nintendo has ever released. Just... Wow. Such a dull, pointless product. Hardly even a game, just a series of random occurrences culminating in 'victory''. Oh, and it pressures you into buying limited-edition Amiibo through pure gameplay manipulation. Retched.

yami4ct

In my return to Splatoon addiction, I played some Ranked again. Guys, Ranked mode might be legitimately terrible. Most of the modes just aren't fun and are subject to massive early momentum shifts. The maps don't feel well designed for them either. Then you have the fact that you lose rank for your team playing like jackasses or if the game randomly drops your connection (Really? Really?!?!).

How can Turf War be so good and Ranked so bad? It's going to be hard to decide if Ranked mode being so awful will affect it on my GOTY list. Turf War might be my favorite multiplayer experience of all time, so that has to count for quite a bit.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
So Amiibo Festival might be the worst Nintendo game ever released? That is...wow.

I've come around on Amiibos. You can use them in different games and they are decent figures for fans of the characters. But real life cards? In a video game?? Fuck that.

Game of the year nominee Syndicate unlocks on the PC in just over an hour. Can find Nvidia codes of the game for 20 dollars!
Syndicate is out on PC
what is this

In my return to Splatoon addiction, I played some Ranked again. Guys, Ranked mode might be legitimately terrible. Most of the modes just aren't fun and are subject to massive early momentum shifts. The maps don't feel well designed for them either. Then you have the fact that you lose rank for your team playing like jackasses or if the game randomly drops your connection (Really? Really?!?!).

How can Turf War be so good and Ranked so bad? It's going to be hard to decide if Ranked mode being so awful will affect it on my GOTY list. Turf War might be my favorite multiplayer experience of all time, so that has to count for quite a bit.

I haven't even touched ranked. Turf War is just so amazing and so incredibly well designed that its really the only multiplayer game mode Splatoon really needs. I'd easily sacrifice the other game modes for more maps (and maybe 3 map rotations instead of 2).

what is this

Assassin's creed DLC?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tubobutts

I had a feeling Dan not understanding Ash Ketchum was tied into the insane way he pronounces ketchup, and I'm happy to know I was right.

yami4ct

I haven't even touched ranked. Turf War is just so amazing and so incredibly well designed that its really the only multiplayer game mode Splatoon really needs. I'd easily sacrifice the other game modes for more maps (and maybe 3 map rotations instead of 2).

But there's a grade next to my name all the time and I desperately want to see it go up. Sure I get super angry every time I play ranked, but the grade!

I had a feeling Dan not understanding Ash Ketchum was tied into the insane way he pronounces ketchup, and I'm happy to know I was right.

How do you say ketchup besides (Ket-Chup)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom