• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a spare cell phone that you don't need anymore and want to just give away, don't be weird and send it to a video game personality. Give it to like a local battered women's or homeless shelter they are always looking for those things.

Zaph

If you have a spare cell phone that you don't need anymore and want to just give away, don't be weird and send it to a video game personality. Give it to like a local battered women's or homeless shelter they are always looking for those things.

But how else would they bug the office and get the inside scoop on review scores?

AcridMeat

Banned
There are fake Neo Geo cabinets in that movie lobby! Okay that sold me on Overwatch. I was already pretty excited for it based on my interests in games, but that put me over the edge. Can't wait to play it.
Okay, I need some advice. I've been wanting to play MGS for the longest time but it's an hassle. I only have a PS4 so the HD collection is out of the question and the first game also isn't available. Besides, playing 4 games (plus the latest) is a big time investment that I don't know if I want to get into.

Given that the story is the main attraction for me, how good would be the Metal Gear Scanlon series a replacement for that? How is the series for someone that hasn't played the games?
I know a bunch of people have touched on this but I was in your exact situation, where I was considering getting the HD collection, or at least play 1 and 4 before 5 came out. Then Metal Gear Scanlon popped up as a feature, and it was absolutely perfect. The thing holding me back from that series was the needlessly complex controls, so getting to experience it all without the frustration was perfect.
The most bizarre part is the guy obsessed with action movies and 'cool guy action stuff' not understanding why people would want to buy a cool looking car
It's not blue collar to own a flashy car.

Alucrid

Banned
Man, Dan's obstinate stance on being as blue collar as possible, to the point of obsession really, is kind of fascinating really.

He doesn't realise that his anti fashion stance is so strong that it wraps around to being fashion.

i went and listened to it and man that was dumb.

kiguel182

There are fake Neo Geo cabinets in that movie lobby! Okay that sold me on Overwatch. I was already pretty excited for it based on my interests in games, but that put me over the edge. Can't wait to play it.
I know a bunch of people have touched on this but I was in your exact situation, where I was considering getting the HD collection, or at least play 1 and 4 before 5 came out. Then Metal Gear Scanlon popped up as a feature, and it was absolutely perfect. The thing holding me back from that series was the needlessly complex controls, so getting to experience it all without the frustration was perfect.
It's not blue collar to own a flashy car.

I might just watch it then, specially since the story is the part I'm most interested about.

I might play MGS5 if I finish the series then.

kiguel182

lol, people really hate Kotaku.

Those poor poor publishers always getting their stuff leaked by that big bully Kotaku.

Kotaku does loads of cool work but I admit I'm not a fan of them leaking game announcements before hand. I don't really see the value in that.

The exposes they do on the other hand are top notch.

lol, people really hate Kotaku.

Those poor poor publishers always getting their stuff leaked by that big bully Kotaku.
Kotaku truly are the press sneak fucks.
Kotaku does loads of cool work but I admit I'm not a fan of them leaking game announcements before hand. I don't really see the value in that.

The exposes they do on the other hand are top notch.
I bet that those leaks bring them a whole lot of traffic.

Bacon

I think the funnier thing from this mailbag was the person sending them all those 360 games. As if GB doesn't already have access to them

Myggen

I'm just wondering when publishers will just cut out all game sites and use youtubers for advertising instead.

Won't happen for a long time. But it's telling that Jeff said on his latest Jar Time that many companies have the PR department handle contact with game sites while marketing handles contact with youtubers.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I think the funnier thing from this mailbag was the person sending them all those 360 games. As if GB doesn't already have access to them

Yeah that was kinda weird. I mean I guess it's a halfway decent mailbag goof.

Quentyn

The Kotaku blacklist thread was a huge eye opener for me. I thought I was pretty good at anticipating the reaction to a thread on Gaf. Fuck.

I had to close the thread because I just couldn't take it anymore. There are legitimately people in there who say journalists have to seek permission from publishers every time they publish a story.

I had to close the thread because I just couldn't take it anymore. There are legitimately people in there who say journalists have to seek permission from publishers every time they publish a story.

The dumbest posts are the ones asking if they are so concerned with journalism why are they complaining about being blacklisted?

Reporting on the existence of publisher blacklists is journalism!

Quenk

I always find it a bit odd when people call the Bay Area "Northern California". I know it's very common to do so, but as someone from actual Northern California the Bay Area might as well be another state entirely.

Norcal/Socal is odd to me. Norcal is something like 50 counties and Socal is around 10.

Just got done watching dat festival, pretty fucking dumb but fun. What a weird ass Nintendo game but that's how they get you! with the Amiibos!

5.9 PALE CHUB IN COINS FOR NEXT MARIO MAKER LEVEL

Jeff: "For something that has not a lot to it, they sure do make this thing slow as fuck."
Dan: "It's the Nintendo way."
Brad: "Have you played a Nintendo game in the last ten years?"
Jeff: "I mean, yeah, I know, I know, but this just seems like a special brand of fucking glacially paced easy-going action."

This animal crossing thing is torture for them. But it's been pretty funny so far.

Yeah, I feel like people post the link when it goes up and then nobody talks about it. Pretty stark difference from previous MGScanlons.
Yeah, I didn't watch any of that shit past the first episode. Most of the entertainment value out of MGScanlon was Drew's reaction to the cutscenes and story, which there was plenty of in past games. MGSV is just a nothing game.

The Kotaku blacklist thread was a huge eye opener for me. I thought I was pretty good at anticipating the reaction to a thread on Gaf. Fuck.
I kind of expect most GAF threads on games journalism to spin out of control but the Kotaku thread is the one thread where I wouldn't have expected to see that.

I kind of expect most GAF threads on games journalism to spin out of control but the Kotaku thread is the one thread where I wouldn't have expected to see that.

Yeah that thread's a PR manager's dream. Let the two most hated outlets reveal they've been blacklisted and the "Fuck Gawker/Polygon" sentiment has run roughshod over any concern over the games industry's practices. Wonder how Patrick feels reading that thread.

Xater

It's a disgusting display.

People backing big corporations over petty bullshit and not understanding how journalism works.

Nero18

That post may sound good, but it's so detached from reality. Don't really get why some people have this super distinguished view of what "real journalism" is. Even with leaks from unannounced games a lot of the time devs want that information to get out there. NDAs are great and all, but to punish people for leaking is some of the most petty shit ive ever seen. Guess what, having a bunch of people work on a project over a longer period of time means that at some point some information probably will make its way out there.

PowerTaxi

Banned
That post may sound good, but it's so detached from reality. Don't really get why some people have this super distinguished view of what "real journalism" is. Even with leaks from unannounced games a lot of the time devs want that information to get out there.

I should probably clarify I meant the first part of the post, sorry.

Zaph

I made a single post and had to bail. Some people really do want this industry gift wrapped and handed over to major publishers. And the not responding to comment shit? Give me a fucking break, how petty.

Curufinwe

It's a disgusting display.

People backing big corporations over petty bullshit and not understanding how journalism works.

Gawker is a big corporation. They should be able to cope if a company decides not to work with them when they leak information about a new game.

Xater

Gawker is a big corporation. They should be able to cope if a company decides not to work with them when they leak information about a new game.

And they are coping? I don't see your point. Like I said int he other thread the Streisand effect will do the rest for the image of these publishers. Publishers think denying access is like this horrible thing no one will recover from while actually it has the opposite effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom