• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaph

Sorry. I saw it mentioned. I should have kept it out of here.

There's nothing to apologise for. The state of the industry and the publisher/press/youtuber relationship is a topic that's frequently raised by GB and Jeff, so it's always going to bleed into here.

Yeah that thread's a PR manager's dream. Let the two most hated outlets reveal they've been blacklisted and the "Fuck Gawker/Polygon" sentiment has run roughshod over any concern over the games industry's practices. Wonder how Patrick feels reading that thread.

it's not really a secret that for the most part, in the eyes of gaffers, developers walk on water. I don't know if it's a matter of dream-job idolization or what. they're the "good guys," weirdly in a time where they have unprecedented ability to screw over customers on many levels. but fuck Kotaku, right?

the Kotaku post is dumb as hell, admittedly. "we're cool, dangerous guys who keep it so real the game industry hates us!" if it came off as slightly less self-aggrandizing, it might have been a decent indemnification of shady industry practices.

Zaph

the Kotaku post is dumb as hell, admittedly. "we're cool, dangerous guys who keep it so real the game industry hates us!" if it came off as slightly less self-aggrandizing, it might have been a decent indemnification of shady industry practices.

I thought so too, but given the endless irrational hate Kotaku gets, while being one of the few sites that truly do serve their readers at a cost to themselves, I think they've earned a bit of self-fellating.

it's not really a secret that for the most part, in the eyes of gaffers, developers walk on water. I don't know if it's a matter of dream-job idolization or what. they're the "good guys," weirdly in a time where they have unprecedented ability to screw over customers on many levels. but fuck Kotaku, right?

I frankly don't know enough about how journalism operates in other sectors, particularly other entertainment mediums, to really come down on Bethesda's decision one way or another. But Kotaku running that story, and then Polygon piggy-backing with a comment that literally says "Typically what it does is make you double down on digging into them, coming away with a Fuck It attitude" and you have the perfect recipe for a backfire. I think it demonstrates what really makes money and sells ads though when Kotaku claims to have in-the-know sources and able to do some real dirt digging, but what really hurts them is being cut-off from early review copies.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
If you have a spare cell phone that you don't need anymore and want to just give away, don't be weird and send it to a video game personality. Give it to like a local battered women's or homeless shelter they are always looking for those things.
I'll never understand when people have a thing to get rid off and the thing that pops into their mind is "I should send this used thing to the Giant Bomb office". Like...that's an android phone and super common 360 games, what are you thinking?

KingKong

I thought so too, but given the endless irrational hate Kotaku gets, while being one of the few sites that truly do serve their readers at a cost to themselves, I think they've earned a bit of self-fellating.

They serve their readers by posting latest thing they read on reddit to fill their daily article quota

Curufinwe

I'll never understand when people have a thing to get rid off and the thing that pops into their mind is "I should send this used thing to the Giant Bomb office". Like...that's an android phone and super common 360 games, what are you thinking?

That they'll be featured on a video seen by thousands?

GB created this problem for themselves by rewarding weird behavior with publicity.

Man, Dan's obstinate stance on being as blue collar as possible, to the point of obsession really, is kind of fascinating really.

He doesn't realise that his anti fashion stance is so strong that it wraps around to being fashion.

Dan definitely doesn't have a blue collar job, but can you even call what he does white collar work? It's more like a fucking bib.

FStop7

Banned
Dan definitely doesn't have a blue collar job, but can you even call what he does white collar work? It's more like a fucking bib.

No idea what Dan does behind the scenes but Jeff and Vinny have pulled back the curtain on their workloads a couple of times and it's a _lot_ of real/hard work. No reason to think Dan's day is any easier.

PowerTaxi

Banned
From reading more about that Kotaku stuff, I can see both sides. From a development point of view(not just games), I'd be super bummed if my stuff leaked early and I'd be less inclined to talk to the outlet that reported it

From Kotaku's,if it benefits myself and my readers and isn't illegal(like that Gawker article a few months ago) I'd probably report it. I'd also not be surprised if the company were less forthcoming with any sort of information in the future.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I audibly said "fuck off" at Brad's "I question how much Mario Maker is a game".

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I audibly said "fuck off" at Brad's "I question how much Mario Maker is a game".

He was just testing the waters to help formulate his goty attack strategy.

Nero18

From reading more about that Kotaku stuff, I can see both sides. From a development point of view(not just games), I'd be super bummed if my stuff leaked early and I'd be less inclined to talk to the outlet that reported it

From Kotaku's,if it benefits myself and my readers and isn't illegal(like that Gawker article a few months ago) I'd probably report it. I'd also not be surprised if the company were less forthcoming with any sort of information in the future.

Now that i think about it, i have probably never heard any developer actively working with a big studio or otherwise claim the industry needs more secrecy.

PowerTaxi

Banned
Now that i think about it, i have probably never heard any developer actively working with a big studio or otherwise claim the industry needs more secrecy.

Yeah, I'd want to get my stuff out there whenever but just in a state that would hopefully do it justice.

Plasma

Banned
Ok I didn't follow the Rooster Teeth thing but this is gold. I especially love how he is wearing a pip boy and there are even more of those scattered around on the table: https://twitter.com/Fobwashed/status/667376775177990144

Yeah fuck that Jeff guy informing people the game has technical problems what an ass. Seriously what is wrong with these people I like the game but it is a mess and not even in a fun haha look at this physics bug sort of mess. I've had main line quests completely bug out on me I nearly had to restart the game 40 hours in when it happened but somehow I managed to cheese my way through it despite none of the enemies showing as hostile and none of the NPCs talking to me.

Jeff's response to it is absolutely perfect though.

justjim89

I really hope Austin serves as a counter to Brad's bullshit. Cause Austin is the smartest guy of the bunch and he's really good at articulating his opinions. And he's not beyond going in on something and digging his heels in.

Heimbeck

Banned
I can't even come up with a devil's advocate argument as to what Brad could possibly have meant.

GOTY is going to be so god damn good this year.

Maybe because there is no end goal? Most games have you working towards something, and once you accomplish that the game is over while Mario Maker is more just playing levels and then moving on.
I mean that probably isn't what he meant, but I can't think of anything else that he could have meant.

Maybe because there is no end goal? Most games have you working towards something, and once you accomplish that the game is over while Mario Maker is more just playing levels and then moving on.
I mean that probably isn't what he meant, but I can't think of anything else that he could have meant.

Oh, like DOTA. And Destiny.

Zaph

I can't even come up with a devil's advocate argument as to what Brad could possibly have meant.

GOTY is going to be so god damn good this year.

Oh I could totally imagine a 'how much of a game' arguement, especially combined with the question of GB's experience not representative of the wider audience.

Can't wait. Come on Brad, I know you can do it. Caffeine up and unleash the filibuster.

I havent even been able to play mm yet but i heartily disagree with this sentiment, i remember a time in gaming where exploration and challenge was enough, call of duty 4 has ruined everything and now everyone needs progression for something to be worth playing its sad

Heimbeck

Banned
Oh, like DOTA. And Destiny.

There is a point at which Destiny ends though, there is not an unlimited amount of content.
But like I said I was just coming up with some reason he could have said that, but maybe Brad knows he shouldn't have said that.

I havent even been able to play mm yet but i heartily disagree with this sentiment, i remember a time in gaming where exploration and challenge was enough, call of duty 4 has ruined everything and now everyone needs progression for something to be worth playing its sad

Just to be clear, I do not actually agree with what I said I just thought it might have been a thought that Brad would have considered.

Oh I could totally imagine a 'how much of a game' arguement, especially combined with the question of GB's experience not representative of the wider audience.

Can't wait. Come on Brad, I know you can do it. Caffeine up and unleash the filibuster.
It's gonna be so good.
There is a point at which Destiny ends though, there is not an unlimited amount of content.
But like I said I was just coming up with some reason he could have said that, but maybe Brad knows he shouldn't have said that.

Oh yeah I understand and appreciate your attempt at a patently absurd devil's argument. I just couldn't resist.

killroy87

But what will he be fighting for? MGSV?

santeesioux

I always find it a bit odd when people call the Bay Area "Northern California". I know it's very common to do so, but as someone from actual Northern California the Bay Area might as well be another state entirely.

Yep, I live on the Oregon-Cali border, and the people that live here are very different from the Bay people. I'm talking like blue collar, farmer people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom