• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

FStop7

Banned
My own list has pretty much shaped up. Just Cause 3 could definitely make it, though.

1. Fallout 4
2. Destiny: TTK
3. Superb Mario Maker
4. Kerbal Space Program
5. Pillars of Eternity
6. Witcher Triple
7. Halo's Five
8. Bloodborne
9. Puzzle+Dragons Super Mario
10. TIE Until Dawn / Arkham Knight

Notes: I barely played Splatoon and haven't played AC: Syndicate, so I didn't consider them. And fuck MGSV.

Patryn

Brad will expend all his energy fighting to overturn precedent to get The Taken King on the list. He'll fight a bit to move Mario Maker off the top perch, but won't have enough juice left.

Loxley

Jeff's response was as usual, beautiful.

What was his response?

That they'll be featured on a video seen by thousands?

GB created this problem for themselves by rewarding weird behavior with publicity.

It all started with...

wR8dQUP.jpg

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'm torn on MGSV for GOTY rankings. It's got at least 15 hours of an incredible game and that'd be enough to get most games pretty high on the list. But then there's 60 hours of repetitive bullshit. The online stuff and the way the game's been updated is super fucking gross. But it mostly affects the part of the game that was bad to begin with. And the story is pretty much nonexistent, but having experienced the stories in other MGS games...yay?

I'm torn on MGSV for GOTY rankings. It's got at least 15 hours of an incredible game and that'd be enough to get most games pretty high on the list. But then there's 60 hours of repetitive bullshit. The online stuff and the way the game's been updated is super fucking gross. But it mostly affects the part of the game that was bad to begin with. And the story is pretty much nonexistent, but having experienced the stories in other MGS games...yay?

I haven't been as conflicted about a game since FFXII. Taking MGSV at face value in a vacuum lends comparisons to games like Arkham Asylum, or Assassin's Creed 2, or even Shadow of Mordor, in that they're excellently designed on most of the gameplay fronts, and visually impressive, but the story is nothing really to write home about. But you can't take MGSV at face value, it's a fucking METAL GEAR SOLID game. Add in the development woes, Kojima's departure, the splitting of the game into two pieces, the story seemingly ending halfway through, the bizarre and disgusting post-game patches, and I'm left wanting some 8,000 word dissection from someone like Brian Philips. Maybe Austin will someday dive into it.

I'll never understand when people have a thing to get rid off and the thing that pops into their mind is "I should send this used thing to the Giant Bomb office". Like...that's an android phone and super common 360 games, what are you thinking?
The mailbag offerings can definitely be weird, at least this guy sent some decent newish stuff, unlike the guy who sent a bunch of old garbage 3 months ago lol

Curufinwe

The accusation of Giant Bomb being some sort of wine and cheese snobbery is making my brain ache.

I agree with people who say it's not a huge deal, but I think it's as thread worthy as at least half the threads on GAF. It's a good example of the bizarre thinking of some of the youtube gaming "personalities" who are really just extensions of game company's marketing departments.

mattp

why doesn't anyone ever send mailbag stuff to giantbomb east?
i'm sure vinny would appreciate getting some peoples' garbage, too

Xater

I don't like this GOTY discussion, but for the record I would totally be into Mario Maker being theirs. I haven't even played it (except at a press event) but it seems like a fantastic package.

Not to bring up the Kotaku stuff again but i just don't think they are any good so meh at their "predicament".

I am not a fan of Kotaku, but I think Jason Schreier does some damn fine work over there.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The funny thing about the Fallout thing is Jeff sounded like he was having a good time every time he's talked about it while still recognizing the issues it has.

He gets real excited several times in the QL.

AcridMeat

Banned
I really hope Austin serves as a counter to Brad's bullshit. Cause Austin is the smartest guy of the bunch and he's really good at articulating his opinions. And he's not beyond going in on something and digging his heels in.
Austin is the listener's champion come GOTY discussion.
Jizzing all over Jeff gerstmann with my 5.9 inch pale chub.
I'm on board with any title that includes 5.9 Inch Pale Chub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom