• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb 18: Everything is always a surprise on some level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zekes!

Something I noticed on this week's podcast is that the gang doesn't seem to be aware that there is a Picross 3D 2. Hopefully they announce that it's coming over here next year.

It's not like he said "yeah fuck unions let's go bust them bro".

Gotta say I'm thoroughly confused how people have taken this as some privilege thing, like, he grew up with divorced parents, one who was a waitress, and the other I have to imagine as a USPS worker WAS IN a middle-class union. I feel like Danny had been sitting on that "sick burn" tweet and just shot it out the first moment he saw an opportunity.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Gotta say I'm thoroughly confused how people have taken this as some privilege thing, like, he grew up with divorced parents, one who was a waitress, and the other I have to imagine as a USPS worker WAS IN a middle-class union. I feel like Danny had been sitting on that "sick burn" tweet and just shot it out the first moment he saw an opportunity.

Pretty much. I saw it as him doing his being dumb trolling schtick but no real reason to be outraged beyond that.

FStop7

Banned
It's not like he said "yeah fuck unions let's go bust them bro".

What makes it more awkward is that his dad is a member of a union that's currently in the process of being destroyed. And that union is one of the big reasons why he had his nice and sheltered upbringing where he didn't have to know what a union was because he didn't need to get a job sewing tags onto Nikes for 12 cents an hour.

FStop7

Banned
Yeah that wall of shame is something else.

I wish some of the animated gifs had made it into the wall of shame. One guy kept posting this gif of a bunch of people (a cheerleading or dance team, I think) going apeshit every time the game's MC score moved up a point. And when people said "yo what the fuck are you doing" he'd get super defensive and claim it was all just done to be ironic. And then he'd do it again. It was amazing stuff.

Myggen

I wish some of the animated gifs had made it into the wall of shame. One guy kept posting this gif of a bunch of people (a cheerleading or dance team, I think) going apeshit every time the game's MC score moved up a point. And when people said "yo what the fuck are you doing" he'd get super defensive and claim it was all just done to be ironic. And then he'd do it again. It was amazing stuff.

I bet it was this guy posting those gifs.

AcridMeat

Banned

popo

What makes it more awkward is that his dad is a member of a union that's currently in the process of being destroyed. And that union is one of the big reasons why he had his nice and sheltered upbringing where he didn't have to know what a union was because he didn't need to get a job sewing tags onto Nikes for 12 cents an hour.

Correction on your Ryckert lore. According to his origin story, Dan's upbringing was funded by Ryckert's Food Market. The Mailman job came after Walmart destroyed the business.

I'm more shocked that you people actually thought Dan would know what Unions are. Where have been the last year or so?

As several people pointed out - there is a very famous Simpsons ep about unionisation. Dan is a huge fan of the early stuff so it seems unlikely he would not have seen it.

Man, seeing that thread on Tales From the Borderlands really makes me want to play it. None of the crew played it did they?

Last page man!

I can't wait!

I think I was wrong. Blizzard's wording made it sound like everyone will get to play, but I think they just meant everyone that got chosen for the beta weekend. Supposedly if you were selected you can already start installing. I can't =(

Lol at Jeff's Tumblr going nuclear on GAF.

I bet all this just makes his Mixlr more popular and gives more hits to GB. Jeff always wins.

Zaph

I think I was wrong. Blizzard's wording made it sound like everyone will get to play, but I think they just meant everyone that got chosen for the beta weekend. Supposedly if you were selected you can already start installing. I can't =(

Thought the same thing. Damn twitter and its 140 characters. phrasing.gif

AcridMeat

Banned
Ah fukku. I looked into the statement about it.

To help us get the most out of this testing phase, we will be flagging accounts for the Beta Test Weekend a little early, during a scheduled maintenance on Thursday, November 19. We encourage all new recruits to use this additional time to download and install the beta client so you can be ready for action once servers come back online.

If you're selected to participate in this Beta Test Weekend, you'll see an Install button appear in the Overwatch tab of your Battle.net desktop app as well as an Overwatch Beta license in the YOUR GAME ACCOUNTS section of Battle.net Account Management.
So I guess I'll need to check a little later tonight just to be sure. Damn ambiguous language.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Man, seeing that thread on Tales From the Borderlands really makes me want to play it. None of the crew played it did they?

As mentioned above, Austin played the first episode during Extra Life. It's also on sale on humblebundle.com for 40% off today.

How has that not become a copypasta like "I'm an expert?"

I have no idea. I dip my toes in the insanity of review threads and never see it brought up. Not enough self awareness going on until the insanity passes, I guess.

Is it weird that overwatch not being f2p actually makes me want to play it?

Weird to me, but I'm weird and will never, ever buy a multiplayer only game to begin with, so one with obvious F2P style hooks that they are being vague about? Not even the tiniest bit interested.

AcridMeat

Banned
I was discussing this with a friend today, about how the mindset changes when viewing the product as a paid thing. After watching the unfinished it started to make a little more sense.
edit:
As mentioned above, Austin played the first episode during Extra Life. It's also on sale on humblebundle.com for 40% off today.

Weird to me, but I'm weird and will never, ever buy a multiplayer only game to begin with, so one with obvious F2P style hooks that they are being vague about? Not even the tiniest bit interested.
What are you trying to do man, I've got Fallout to play!

Also it's not that weird.

I'm normally indifferent, but I like it just for the fact that it means Blizzard isn't going to transition to F2P games for all their future IPs/new games. I was worried that everything they make would go the way of Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm.

santeesioux

Jeff will never have peace. I imagine he'll get old and go into hiding away from the videogames and the drama. Until one day, a disgruntled gamer with a strong affinity for Yoshi tracks him down to his doorstep. As if Jeff were a Nazi war criminal who escaped the Nuremberg trials, the gamer questions him at gunpoint. Asking him why he gave their favorite game a low score. Why he didn't get excited when they announced a new entry to their favorite franchise. Why he doesn't like Yoshi. And more importantly...why he doesn't like videogames.

Giant Bomb fan fiction can get really weird.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Bread's tumblr said:
You mentioned that System Shock 2 is one of your favorite games. I'd love to see you do a video series for it on the site, exposing more people to the goodness that is SS2. Maybe during a slower time of year? You could call it System Shock Shoe or something puntastic like that.

I think I’d have to go back and replay a bunch of it to be able to talk about anything specific in it. Apparently I interviewed Ken Levine about the game 10 years ago, though?
That's not....a "no, won't do it".....I think.

I'm the opposite. As soon as that was revealed I was no longer interested, even though I think it looks amazing.

$40-$60 and the strong likelihood of paid DLC in the form of characters, skins, and maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom